2016 Brownlow discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Port flogs be slapping each other on the back and talking about Dangerfield slagging off at the AFC? I didn't see any of the TV coverage, but from what I read in the Herald Sun he had nothing but good things to say about the AFC. If he'd dumped on us I'm guessing that would've been a news story in itself, so I'm gonna just go with what I always knew - Port flogs are wieners.

He did talk a bit about how great Geelong are so they probably just ran with it.

He did talk a bit about how great Geelong are so they probably just ran with it.
Have they forgotten about when Shaunie said he wanted to play 100 games of footy for Hawthorn.

His sons have some great footy pedigree and won't identify with Port at all and be Hawthorn people.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Spends all last year saying it didn't affect him, no biggie; now saying how he can play so much better not having the decision hanging over him.
To be fair he did play his best season for us last year. It may have something to do with the fact that he was entering his prime and his best footy will be at Geelong.

He would have won the Brownlow no matter where he played this year. His best is unbelievable and he was entering that time where footballers produce their best most consistently.

To be fair he did play his best season for us last year. It may have something to do with the fact that he was entering his prime and his best footy will be at Geelong.

He would have won the Brownlow no matter where he played this year. His best is unbelievable and he was entering that time where footballers produce their best most consistently.
Yep, which we all knew. 8 years of development and growth, and then plucked just when we knew he was going to bloom

Yep, which we all knew. 8 years of development and growth, and then plucked just when we knew he was going to bloom
That along with him walking out on the club when it needed him the most is something that pisses me off.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he might have cost himself and us a premiership by walking out when he did. Had he stayed another 2-3 years he could have gone and I am sure majority of the fans would not be as pissed off.

In regards to the Dangerfield/Judd comparison, well at the time that Judd left our club, it was crushing, soul destroying even. Our captain had deserted us at a time of crisis. I recall his return match, a Friday night in early 2008. The level of vitriol, aggression and anger towards him by our supporters was quite amazing. On reflection, I don't think the rage was all aimed at him as such, I think it was a release for people to rage and vent their fury at our club for the predicament we were in, the 2007-2010 period was a dark time.

However, as time went on the anger subsided. Of course Judd had in part led us to a premiership. We received adequate compensation for him (Kennedy, plus picks which turned into Masten and Scott Selwood, both servicable players, could have been better but hindsight shows 07 not to be a particularly strong draft). He had his reasons for leaving yes (the scandals etc, however that didn't stop him giving a speech to the Richmond playing group prior to Cousins last game or Daniel Kerr being best man at his wedding). Also the fact that he went to Carlton and they didn't achieve anything helped, the 2011 Semi Final was nice :) So my feelings towards Judd have certainly mellowed over the years that's for sure.

Dangerfield however, well that's another story. He deserted a playing group that he "loved" (I recall that 2014 article on Danger, Tex and Sloane) in the wake of unimaginable tragedy, after months of speculation and after openly teasing/playing on the supporters (through media, social media etc). A playing group that had been built and with just a few changes, is a big chance of achieving success. He obviously wanted to go one club only and this club could not (or were unwilling to) offer anything in the way of a trade. The "compensation" Adelaide received for a player of Dangerfields calibre is pitiful. Then on top of that, the constant media bombardment. It is just obscene.

The man is a liar and fraud. Yes it was a nice speech but really, it took him winning the Brownlow to even acknowledge the role that the AFC had in his career? It's just so wrong :( I understand people choosing to let go and "move on", but I think the post from Southerntakeover says it all! I join the many others in the hope of zero team success for Mr Dangerfield!!

Happy that he is back with his family as family is the number 1 thing. You just don't know how long you have with them and it shouldn't be taken for granted. Thought his speech was good, but I am of the opinion that he can be like Buckley and never taste GF success. Geelong don't have the cattle, their stars are getting older and Dangerwood can only do so much. Everyone saw this as a smart family move, but a dumb footy one. We could have got to the GF with Paddy in the team this year, but now he can be the best player in a team of average players on the decline. Sydney showed how far back they are.
Enjoy the individual success Patty, I'm thinking that's all you'll be getting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spends all last year saying it didn't affect him, no biggie; now saying how he can play so much better not having the decision hanging over him.

What did you expect him to say last season?

Players are required to lie about certain things.

Even on the very slight chance he wasn't enjoying Geelong as much as Adelaide, there's no way he'd say it. Of course he's going to pump up Geelong's tyres. I'm sure Eddie's said the same kind of things since being here, doesn't mean he's bagging the Blues.

#portlogic tho

I get the feeling vote inflation is going to continue. The superstars will continue attracting votes, leading to higher totals for fewer players.
Oh for sure. Especially once players start getting "favourite" status (ie. Fyfe, Judd, Danga). I'm sure the umpires look at their game in isolation before they even think about anyone else and go "Is that a 3 vote game?"

Round 23, Tomahawk kicks 6, Selwood 36 and a goal, Danger 32. 3 votes P. Dangerfield.

In regards to the Dangerfield/Judd comparison, well at the time that Judd left our club, it was crushing, soul destroying even. Our captain had deserted us at a time of crisis. I recall his return match, a Friday night in early 2008. The level of vitriol, aggression and anger towards him by our supporters was quite amazing. On reflection, I don't think the rage was all aimed at him as such, I think it was a release for people to rage and vent their fury at our club for the predicament we were in, the 2007-2010 period was a dark time.

However, as time went on the anger subsided. Of course Judd had in part led us to a premiership. We received adequate compensation for him (Kennedy, plus picks which turned into Masten and Scott Selwood, both servicable players, could have been better but hindsight shows 07 not to be a particularly strong draft). He had his reasons for leaving yes (the scandals etc, however that didn't stop him giving a speech to the Richmond playing group prior to Cousins last game or Daniel Kerr being best man at his wedding). Also the fact that he went to Carlton and they didn't achieve anything helped, the 2011 Semi Final was nice :) So my feelings towards Judd have certainly mellowed over the years that's for sure.

Dangerfield however, well that's another story. He deserted a playing group that he "loved" (I recall that 2014 article on Danger, Tex and Sloane) in the wake of unimaginable tragedy, after months of speculation and after openly teasing/playing on the supporters (through media, social media etc). A playing group that had been built and with just a few changes, is a big chance of achieving success. He obviously wanted to go one club only and this club could not (or were unwilling to) offer anything in the way of a trade. The "compensation" Adelaide received for a player of Dangerfields calibre is pitiful. Then on top of that, the constant media bombardment. It is just obscene.

The man is a liar and fraud. Yes it was a nice speech but really, it took him winning the Brownlow to even acknowledge the role that the AFC had in his career? It's just so wrong :( I understand people choosing to let go and "move on", but I think the post from Southerntakeover says it all! I join the many others in the hope of zero team success for Mr Dangerfield!!

insertelsafromfrozengif

Oh for sure. Especially once players start getting "favourite" status (ie. Fyfe, Judd, Danga). I'm sure the umpires look at their game in isolation before they even think about anyone else and go "Is that a 3 vote game?"

Round 23, Tomahawk kicks 6, Selwood 36 and a goal, Danger 32. 3 votes P. Dangerfield.
I even thought Menegola had a bit better game than Danger in that one. 3 goals, 27 possessions.

It's times like this it shows how poorly designed the trade structures in the AFL are. Should be able to revisit trades in scenarios like this when a player takes their game to the next level. Isn't fair for the crows.

Nah, we're just crap at trading.

See the Menzel and Hampton trades. Those guys might end up playing some decent footy, but we massively overpaid for fringe players.

There's a lot of gigantic crybabies in this thread.

Nah, we're just crap at trading.

See the Menzel and Hampton trades. Those guys might end up playing some decent footy, but we massively overpaid for fringe players.
This.

Adelaide struggled to come out ahead from the loss of either Wright or Kerridge (definitely not both), let alone Dangerfield

That along with him walking out on the club when it needed him the most is something that pisses me off.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he might have cost himself and us a premiership by walking out when he did. Had he stayed another 2-3 years he could have gone and I am sure majority of the fans would not be as pissed off.

It would be nice if we could only draft from SA and same with all teams. Then after 5/6 years go anywhere. Much less chance of constantly loosing players. I recon the players would play more for the club than money then.
I think it would be more like the seventies and eighties with the bitter rivalries.
Most of the players are just hired mercenaries now days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back