Player Sponsorship 2016 - Charlie Sutton Medal - 5 Oct

Remove this Banner Ad

So if we have to delist 3 senior players, who will the other 2 be?

Stevens, Hrovat I'm guessing

We have to make minimum 3 selections in the draft, but that can be due to either trading out players, retirements or free agents leaving.

Perhaps Prudden (re-draft as rookie), Honeychurch, Minson?

What a fantastic night - so lucky to be a part of it.

Great to see some familiar faces again and meet some new ones. Fantastic to meet Dogwatch after enjoying his many brilliant contributions to this board over a number of years. Great to also meet, albeit briefly immortalmike (I promised that I would confirm he is truly terrifying although he seemed to be a pretty decent bloke to me).

There were many highlights for me although unlike other functions I did not have a chat to any of the players, so no real news to impart on that front other than some observations.

My main highlight was just the "vibe" - if using that term is good enough for Bevo its good enough for me! Having 1500 people in one enclosed space that are just in deliriously happy creates a very special atmosphere. After experiencing in the flesh a VFL premiership with almost (20k brothers and sisters), a grand final training session (another 10K), a grand final parade (100K+), a GF victory (most importantly) another 100K and family day (20k+) it was the perfect ending to a perfect 10 days as a Bulldog.
There was an awful lot of love in the room (others can commented about goings on in other toilets) - this shone through in everything that took place during the evening. Specifically my highlights of the night were as follows:
  • Seeing the heart and soul of our club being recognised. Moz, MBoyd & Picken specifically all received prestigious awards and I was just thrilled that most came 2nd in the B&F
  • "Give me an Ooooh" Bevo was loose and comfortable at the mic and it was beautiful. I love his quotes and he quite clearly keeps things fresh and relateable to the players - I suspect this is one of his secrets. Also love that he has donated the medal to the museum. At every opportunity this man just keeps giving his team examples of events and awards not being about him. This selflessness just demands loyalty
  • Minson's departure speech and video. The love from the playing group to Will was obvious. The love from the crowd was reciprocated and it was touching. I was hoping that he would continue at Footscray if he doesn't go to another AFL club, but I didn't get that feeling that this was an option.
  • The love that everyone has for each other. The players, the coaching staff, the services staff (medical, fitness, admin, trainers etc) all seem to be on the same page. I got the feeling that this synergy and passion for each other created one massively souped up version of a "Champion Team" which is why these boy all die for each other on the field.
  • I love that the VFL and womens successes were recognised. It could have been easy to push this aside but the motto of 1 club 3 teams seems to be lived rather than just a slogan
  • I loved seeing Crossy back in the fold. A nice touch to let him experience what the worked so hard for. Hope to see him back in an official capacity at some point
  • The Bont - how the hell is the kid 20? Just magnificent.
  • PG getting to bask in the success that he has had a massive part in creating
  • Libba's speech. Dogwatch and I both commented that it could have been anything and it was. He somehow managed to communicate what he needed to even though it was slurred and still have the awareness to get off the stage in 30 seconds
  • Lucky last - seeing the cups on the stage. This just made it all real

Some quality caption work from this board's favourite Doggies player Dec Hamilton:

Very underrated comedy performer on the 'gram is Dec, he's come on leaps and bounds this season.

Edit: Turns out his account is private, the caption was "Another year done and dusted, no games no votes. But * I love it"

Anyone know why we don't have an EJ award? Family member interested.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The EJ Whitten Medal is already a thing. It was set up for the best VIC player in a State of Origin match. Guess there aren't too many of those any more though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a few days now but just a few thoughts on the Charlie Sutton Medal night. Turtle3 did it justice in his report so I'll be brief:
  • Powerful start to the evening - Peter Gordon with an expansive gesture across the stage: "One Club, Three Teams ... Three Cups!" That's quite an achievement and one we should all be proud of.
  • Will's farewell video and comments were very moving. He marches to his own drum, a real character of the game. One of his peeves was that journos always commented on his academic and musical prowess and his ability to speak several languages but seldom talked about his footy. He obviously loved the playing the game and enjoyed the ride, even if he didn't end up with a premiership medallion. Consoled himself with the thought that everyone on the list helped the side win the flag. Fair comment too. He will be missed.
  • Some overdue reward for Dale Morris. Lots of justifiable love for him, Matthew Boyd and Picko. Caleb pretty popular too.
  • Anytime Tom Boyd was mentioned there was spontaneous applause or a murmur of approval but he had such a patchy season that he didn't get a chance to take centre stage at any time. Might have been nice to engineer that somehow, after his massive game in the GF. He would have got a mighty cheer I reckon.
  • Bont would have needed a large shopping trolley to take home all his trophies. Hope he has a contract big enough to afford a trophy room extension to his house. He'll need it over the next few years.
  • Enjoyed meeting the BF contingent there: Ant, Vital, Turtle3, MYOB, VL3OJ, ImmortalMike. Vital was everywhere. IM was not at all scary. Link was 404 again, BTW.
  • Rewards come to those with a weak bladder. There seemed to be news flashes and encounters with famous people every time someone went to the toilet. Maybe I should have drunk more beer.
  • It was my first CSM, and a special premiership edition at that, so I guess it's hard to fit everything in but I thought some things could have been done better. The CSM count itself seemed to come as a programming afterthought and there was no real sense of the count evolving over the night. No suspense. They just gave two or three progress reports with a few video clips of games through the season. Maybe it's because everyone knew that Bont would win it by the length of Barkly Street. Which he duly did.
  • I was pleased to see that Gerard Whately was going to be MC. While he did a reasonable job and had a well-prepared opening speech he didn't seem as fluent as when he's on TV or radio. Asked some pretty dumb questions in the interviews too. Perhaps he hasn't done many of these and was a bit too self-conscious?
  • Katie Brennan is a really good speaker. A great fit for the club.
Anyway it was a lot of fun. A rare chance for me to get close to the club and I really appreciated the opportunity.

I was pleased to see that Gerard Whately was going to be MC. While he did a reasonable job and had a well-prepared opening speech he didn't seem as fluent as when he's on TV or radio. Asked some pretty dumb questions in the interviews too. Perhaps he hasn't done many of these and was a bit too self-conscious?
What about the Ssssshhh guy?

It's been a few days now but just a few thoughts on the Charlie Sutton Medal night. Turtle3
  • It was my first CSM, and a special premiership edition at that, so I guess it's hard to fit everything in but I thought some things could have been done better. The CSM count itself seemed to come as a programming afterthought and there was no real sense of the count evolving over the night. No suspense. They just gave two or three progress reports with a few video clips of games through the season. Maybe it's because everyone knew that Bont would win it by the length of Barkly Street. Which he duly did.

I suspect that this year they realised that
A) Bont had it won and no matter how much spit and polish you put into a performance, in the end it would be underwhelming
B) Whilst the medal was important, what was more important was to celebrate the win and the players.
C) Time was limited

I thought the night was expertly programmed. A little bit of Bont, a little bit of Moz,PG, Picken, Bob and Minson and a whole host of love.... and the man who kept yelling "oooh" at us whoever he was and announced JJ 'Daryl' . May the CSM be sidelined for years to come

[*]Anytime Tom Boyd was mentioned there was spontaneous applause or a murmur of approval but he had such a patchy season that he didn't get a chance to take centre stage at any time. Might have been nice to engineer that somehow, after his massive game in the GF. He would have got a mighty cheer I reckon.

Thinking back on the night I agree wholeheartedly .
Would have been perfect

Anyone know where I can see the full CSM leaderboard, not just the top 10?
CuCusBnUEAAp9h3.jpg

CuCuzwhVMAAbEL4.jpg

CuCuzweVYAAhkPa.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back