Toast 2016 Club Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

He fits us really good i think, solid player, not a game winner or flashy, but just adds some nice inside depth. Thought he had a solid year.
Him and Rockliff the only ones really composed players with the football I thought.

A tribute to Mitch Robinson for his second place. He played a particularly tough role tagging some elite midfielders and in each case he, at worst, held his own and usually got his share of disposals as well. Our best tackler, just about our most courageous.

For me, he is what we want our players to be: tough, committed, desperate and focused on what he can do for the team.

And all this from a player who was on his last chance. In a largely joyless couple of years for the club, picking up Robbo and seeing him grow into a respected, responsible leader has been an absolute joy.

I was one who thought he was a ridiculous pick up. His attitude and output since arriving has changed my view. Kudos to MRobbo.

a few in the top 10 have followed in the Steven Bradbury tradition of right time right place.
Yeah I don't know how much weight it will carry if someone says "He's a good player , he finished top 10 in the Lions best and fairest in 2016"

Have just seen on another thread that Leigh Mathews wasn't at the B+F dinner last night. Unless there was an emergency of some sorts, as a Board member, it is unacceptable that he wasn't there.

Hopefully all the others were....surely.

..or there is no future for this club if our top men can't be bothered to show up to important club events.

What sort of example is that setting.

Rockliff voted players player of the year and no contract offered by the club after his Manager lodged an extension request this year?

Such a loved captain yet no urgency to sign him further even with all players but 2 or 3 signed up next year?

And so the conjecture and intrigue continues.

So much conflicting information about Rockliff.

If you believe some of the stories, he's a poor captain and can't relate to other players especially the younger brigade.

But then he wins the "players player" award at the B&F.????

On one hand there were rumours/inuendo about he and Leppa being at loggerheads...... "THE BLOOD OF THE COACH ON HIS HANDS!!!" .....and on the other we hear that he called Leppa on the Monday night of his sacking to offer heartfelt condolences.

One minute he wants out of the club.....and the next he loves the club and wants to say??????

Then there's other rumours that he gets on the turps and he's fat.......which he utterly refuted a while back saying his skinfolds were never better.

I'm confused and my head hurts:huh::drunk:

He was voted best player by the players..........that has nothing to do with his personality, whether the players actually like him or his off field issues.

..admittedly some of the talk does sound confusing. We'll just have to see what the club does about it I guess.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was voted best player by the players..........that has nothing to do with his personality, whether the players actually like him or his off field issues.

I understand the distinction.

But I also understand that people rarely "vote" for others that they deeply dislike or have personal issues with.

That's just human nature.

But I also understand that people rarely "vote" for others that they deeply dislike or have personal issues with.

This is a fact. AFl Footballers are people too. I've never heard of any person in any sport voting for someone in a players player award that they have strongly disliked. It just doesn't happen.

might not be a deep dislike, maybe they are just not fans of his style of leadership and no personal animosity involved at all.

might not be a deep dislike, maybe they are just not fans of his style of leadership and no personal animosity involved at all.

I have absolutely no confidence in the supposed "professionalism" of your average footy player in so far as putting personal likes and dislikes aside and being able to arrive at a dispassionate view on things in general.

These so called "professionals" belt other "professionals" on the park and get suspended for their efforts every other week. A large chunk of them find themselves involved in behaviors in their personal lives that fall well and truly outside the realms of "professionalism"...Booze, drugs, altercations with opponents and even team-mates in public, Mad Monday stupidity, betting scandals.....I could go on.

By the very nature of the Industry in which they are involved, they are driven by emotion and impulse.

But when it comes to picking a "players player" award they are able to put all that aside and vote "professionally" en masse for the Club Captain who is actually not liked by many of his fellow team-mates at all.

Give me a break.

These so called "professionals" belt other "professionals" on the park and get suspended for their efforts every other week. A large chunk of them find themselves involved in behaviors in their personal lives that fall well and truly outside the realms of "professionalism"...Booze, drugs, altercations with opponents and even team-mates in public, Mad Monday stupidity, Betting scandals....I could go on.

Give me a break.
IMO it is nowhere near "a large chunk" of players who engage in anti social behavior, that is a largely media driven perception. there are over 700 players on club lists, the vast majority of which would be exemplary citizens. the great stuff that players do from all clubs eg. junior visits, hospital visits, supporting charities etc. while it does get some airplay it pales into insignificance compared to the sensationalist stories that the media revel in.

the physical and mental dedication that is required to make it at AFL level is worthy of admiration on it's own IMO, or in any field of endeavor.

I have absolutely no confidence in the supposed "professionalism" of your average footy player in so far as putting personal likes and dislikes aside and being able to arrive at a dispassionate view on things in general.

These so called "professionals" belt other "professionals" on the park and get suspended for their efforts every other week. A large chunk of them find themselves involved in behaviors in their personal lives that fall well and truly outside the realms of "professionalism"...Booze, drugs, altercations with opponents and even team-mates in public, Mad Monday stupidity, betting scandals.....I could go on.

By the very nature of the Industry in which they are involved, they are driven by emotion and impulse.

But when it comes to picking a "players player" award they are able to put all that aside and vote "professionally" en masse for the Club Captain who is actually not liked by many of his fellow team-mates at all.

Give me a break.
Especially as they vote at the end of the game - which this year has been when feeling miserable and blaming the world and everything in it for their woes. Definitely not dispassionate, logical voting environment. I'd be voting for someone who managed to help me deal with all that crap on field and at the end of the game.

Just watched the video of Zorks accepting the medal. It was nice to see the original Big Rog in his ear while the club song was playing, could only imagine it was about being positive about how he help the club get back to a competitive space.
Love the big fella, what he did for our club the last time we were a rabble should never be forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back