Official Club Stuff 2016 Club Memberships - Final Tally now in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Answer my question. If you expect Geelong to have a significant fanbase outside of Geelong, you must have evidence of Hawthorn being popular outside Melbourne?

Yes. Are they linked? Quite possibly. But there was no promise of success this year - many tipped us to finish Bottom 4.

Recent figures have shown that there probably would've been an increase in members without a big recruitment anyway. We've gained members every year since 2012 without any significant success.

Got 8k in Tas last I read. Guess it depends on your view of significant in a pissing competition.

Got 8k in Tas last I read. Guess it depends on your view of significant in a pissing competition.
8k members in Tassie? That's not bad, but if Geelong played home games in Adelaide and/or Canberra, we could pass that easily.

Perhaps but likely not. Geelong is very much a minnow outside their greater Geelong bubble.

For comparison sake lets see how Brisbane v Geelong compares to Brisbane v Hawthorn earlier this season
What is this thread and what have I written here? I assume our discussion was delayed when Hawthorn lost to Melbourne and numerous Hawthorn supporters vanished from BigFooty? Oh well, at least I can take down the 'Lost Hawkk' posters. It's safe to come back now. :hearts:

Anyway, I can tell you that a relatively large number of Geelong supporters turned up to our games against the Crows and Giants interstate this year, because I was there. :)

I couldn't tell you how many of the 53,000 people who turned up to the Adelaide game were Cats fans (I would guess 5k at the very least), but when I started a Geelong chant in Canberra a few months ago against GWS, I'm pleased to report a very large number (perhaps half?) of the 13,600 people in attendance joined in.

In comparison, only 10,000 turned up to see GWS v Port Adelaide in Canberra and since we recorded 53,000 in Adelaide, home attendances for the Crows have ranged from 37,000 to 50,000 people, proving the existence of at least 8,000 supporters between the two cities. Unless they all travelled there like myself. :)

I'm going to Brisbane next week, and it will be interesting to see if our attendance up there beats what Hawthorn got, although I never suggested that Geelong supporters outnumber Hawthorn supporters anywhere outside of Geelong - including Brisbane. I might suggest, however, that since the AFL conveniently scheduled no Hawthorn games at the Gabba for seven or eight years prior to Round 10, the attendance recorded that day might reflect the enthusiasm of the few Hawthorn supporters living in Brisbane to finally get to a game.

Anyway, we'll see. Welcome back. :thumbsu:

Is there an up to date tally/table somewhere with all clubs current and past figures???

This do?

AFlmembers1984-2016_aug13.png

What is this thread and what have I written here? I assume our discussion was delayed when Hawthorn lost to Melbourne and numerous Hawthorn supporters vanished from BigFooty? Oh well, at least I can take down the 'Lost Hawkk' posters. It's safe to come back now. :hearts:

Anyway, I can tell you that a relatively large number of Geelong supporters turned up to our games against the Crows and Giants interstate this year, because I was there. :)

I couldn't tell you how many of the 53,000 people who turned up to the Adelaide game were Cats fans (I would guess 5k at the very least), but when I started a Geelong chant in Canberra a few months ago against GWS, I'm pleased to report a very large number (perhaps half?) of the 13,600 people in attendance joined in.

In comparison, only 10,000 turned up to see GWS v Port Adelaide in Canberra and since we recorded 53,000 in Adelaide, home attendances for the Crows have ranged from 37,000 to 50,000 people, proving the existence of at least 8,000 supporters between the two cities. Unless they all travelled there like myself. :)

I'm going to Brisbane next week, and it will be interesting to see if our attendance up there beats what Hawthorn got, although I never suggested that Geelong supporters outnumber Hawthorn supporters anywhere outside of Geelong - including Brisbane. I might suggest, however, that since the AFL conveniently scheduled no Hawthorn games at the Gabba for seven or eight years prior to Round 10, the attendance recorded that day might reflect the enthusiasm of the few Hawthorn supporters living in Brisbane to finally get to a game.

Anyway, we'll see. Welcome back. :thumbsu:

Thats cool. That said Hawthorn did play games down on the Gold Coast in 2011 and 2014 - both of which drew 19,314 and 17,724 to Metricon (which is 80km down the road from the GABBA)

I think your numbers in Adelaide and Canberra are rather flakey. Adelaide doesnt release anymore than 5k tickets to General Admission, the rest are taken by Adelaide Crow ticket holders (approx 40,000), the SACA and Adelaide Oval Football Membership. Port Adelaide is a different kettle of fish but like West Coast at Subiaco actually getting a ticket to Adelaide to watch the Crows is very difficult. For point of reference Hawthorn has 2,500 club members in WA, 1,100 registered for the club ballot and only 600 were able to take the club allocation of seats for the West Coast v Hawthorn game next week. Which probably explains just why Perth needs a new stadium...

The variance in crowds has more to do with no shows (in relative terms no different to Geelong's crowds ranging from 21k to 26k) than it does inflated away game membership - which is always inflated on this board.

Using your logic I could probably deduce that Hawthorn would also have many more members in Sydney (we havent been scheduled in Canberra yet) and Adelaide based on equivalent games against Port Adelaide, Adelaide and GWS at the Adelaide Oval and Spotless Stadium...

Hawks v Crows (Adelaide Oval)
49,715.5 (2 games)

Hawks v Power (Adelaide Oval)
48,419.66 (3 games)

Hawks v Giants (Spotless)
13,661 (2 games)

Cats v Crows (Adelaide Oval)
53,141 (1 game)

Cats v Power (Adelaide Oval)
46,028 (3 games)

Cats v Giants (Spotless)
7,753 (2 games)

Now compare these numbers against equivalent games against Melbourne or Fremantle and the inflated numbers for Hawthorn / Geelong probably have more to do with greater interest on the part of Crows / Power and Giant fans than it does untapped support in the SA and NSW for these clubs.

Using Hawthorn for example (but Geelong is probably a better example as they have limited supply at Kardina Park), the Hawks drew 61,577, 50,657, 45,792 and 42,977 for home games against Sydney, North Melbourne, Adelaide and West Coast but 'only' 51,892 and 41,833 to Richmond and Melbourne (despite the Dees and Tigers both having much larger fan based in Victoria)

The inflated attendance would likely have more to do with inflated membership attendance from Hawthorn fans expecting a contest than opposition attendance. Same with Cats v Hawks contests (74,218 in round 1) when compared to Tigers v Cats today (MCC est 40,000)

But as this is a membership thread, Hawthorn ended up with 75,352 :thumbsu:

Four in a row to North - maybe not... :huh:

7 goal win. Whats your point :confused:

Hawthorn announced its membership record on Friday, its 10th membership record in succession. Hence why I posted yesterday?

Last edited:
Final totals
Pies 75,495
Hawks 75,457
Tiges 72,347
Dons 57,566
Cats 52,105
Blues 50,202
Roos 45,103
Dogs 40,081
Dees 39,211
Saints 38,073

Big numbers. Next year should see all Vic clubs crack 40k.

If you look back at Wookies table, you can see that the Saints didn't capitalise on the membership spike through the period of 2004-2011. This has left the current St.Kilda Executive with a lot of work to do with correcting the dormant supporter base. Personally I hold my club to account for mismanagement throughout this period.

I have faith that the right people are in place for the Saints to have 50K members by 2018. It may seem a long bow now, however, the steps the club has taken will see a better take up by casual fans.

Final totals
Pies 75,495
Hawks 75,457
Tiges 72,347
Dons 57,566
Cats 52,105
Blues 50,202
Roos 45,103
Dogs 40,081
Dees 39,211
Saints 38,073

Big numbers. Next year should see all Vic clubs crack 40k.
Colour me suspicious that Pies hold off on announcing number from December until after Hawks do and somehow after the year they've had with being very quiet on numbers finish top of the table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to wait for Eddie to buy another 100 or so memerships
It's an excellent number and I know all clubs numbers can be questioned, not all memberships are even and revenue from memberships would be a better indicator than raw numbers which lump 3 and 11 game memberships in the same category and can list non game day access memberships also.

Still I found it strange that Pies refused to give any numbers for such a long period of time. They did have 55k before Christmas which was a little down on the year before, maybe not reporting worked for them.

I know Hawks stopped reporting at 74200 odd until sales had closed, we were all waiting for the announcement of 75k

Still I found it strange that Pies refused to give any numbers for such a long period of time. They did have 55k before Christmas which was a little down on the year before, maybe not reporting worked for them.

I reckon that it probably doesn't hurt to look like we need the numbers in comparison to our rivals, especially when the team's not travelling so well on field.

8k members in Tassie? That's not bad, but if Geelong played home games in Adelaide and/or Canberra, we could pass that easily.
add in the inflated extra large memberships

teams fan bases grow all the time & every tem has fans across the country. here in Cairns, when you see a people in Storm or Western Bulldogs or North Melbourne merchandise or bumper stickers on cars proves that! but any team that has had the success that Hawthorn has,will always attract new fans as well as the fence fence sitters to sign up and buy memberships

add in the inflated extra large memberships

teams fan bases grow all the time & every tem has fans across the country. here in Cairns, when you see a people in Storm or Western Bulldogs or North Melbourne merchandise or bumper stickers on cars proves that! but any team that has had the success that Hawthorn has,will always attract new fans as well as the fence fence sitters to sign up and buy memberships

Hello old friend :drunk:

Hawks to overtake Pies next year? Reckon it will be decided if the Maggies will play finals.

I am certain that if we can win a flag and have a sustained period of success we will move into the 50k area. Potential for the same to happen with the dogs, although I think we have more dormant supporters than they do.

I am certain that if we can win a flag and have a sustained period of success we will move into the 50k area. Potential for the same to happen with the dogs, although I think we have more dormant supporters than they do.
Packed out Etihad many a week during your mid-2000s to 2010 era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back