Official Club Stuff 2016 Club Memberships - Final Tally now in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes sense, I think we had a similar reduction of a few hundred memberships from our total in the AFL audited figures last year. There's obviously some product we're selling the AFL don't consider memberships but we do.

I'm pretty happy with how our figures have held up this year despite the season being over by about Round 4. The move to roll over memberships by direct debit each year is probably the biggest advancement for club finances ever. You'd think that there would be thousands of the 50k+ fans who are automatically renewed that may not have bothered otherwise. Not to mention the time and cost of chasing those people up which is saved.

Makes sense, I think we had a similar reduction of a few hundred memberships from our total in the AFL audited figures last year. There's obviously some product we're selling the AFL don't consider memberships but we do.

I'm pretty happy with how our figures have held up this year despite the season being over by about Round 4. The move to roll over memberships by direct debit each year is probably the biggest advancement for club finances ever. You'd think that there would be thousands of the 50k+ fans who are automatically renewed that may not have bothered otherwise. Not to mention the time and cost of chasing those people up which is saved.
Yeah in and of themselves I find the numbers almost meaningless, revenue would be a better indicator, even a break down of games paid for separating your non game day and game day or showing the 11 game vs 3 game etc.

Even then not fair on all clubs based on venue limitations, but def a good result for pies

Yeah in and of themselves I find the numbers almost meaningless, revenue would be a better indicator, even a break down of games paid for separating your non game day and game day or showing the 11 game vs 3 game etc.

Even then not fair on all clubs based on venue limitations, but def a good result for pies

Yeah, it would be nice to see the full breakdown but I can't see it happening. At least the AFL have broken it down to some degree in that story you linked to.

AFLMembershinphographic-AFL.jpg

I remember reading something a couple of years ago about junior members, GWS had the highest % and WCE the lowest.

Yeah, that's the thing - a couple of years ago. Highest percentage - and in raw numbers we had more than GC, St. Kilda, Brisbane, Melbourne, Freo and the Dogs. Trouble is they were 2014 figures and I really need newer figures to be making my arguments elsewhere about how to grow a club from the ground up and build our supporter base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are nice graphs but they don't give much information.
How much money has each club received from memberships?
Do Melbourne clubs have discount three game memberships e.g. Canberra's GWS deal?

The amount clubs received from memberships wont be known until their individual annual reports come out.
All cluibs do a three game membership these days. However, the breakdown of 11-5-3 game memberships is rarely released.

Okay, so the membership count is meaningless.

its not meaningless at all - its a relatively good indicator of club support (no one buys miltiple three game memberships for themself) if you use the AFL audited figures and theres inherent value to sponsors and advertisers in the number of people you can reach with membership contact information, as well as being a source of revenue.

A measure of club support? Really? If that is an indicator then it conflicts with a morgan poll done recently which showed the level of national support for the clubs. North Melbourne fared the worst of the Melbourne teams that despite having 45,000 members, the gallop poll suggested that nationally they only had 230,000 supporters which was over 130,000 short of other Melbourne based teams with lower memberships.

Statistics often lie. There is a saying that goes, "Statistics - beat them them around long enough and they'll confess". In other words they'll tell you anything, depending upon the answers that you're looking for.

From what I have seen most of them seem to be in the west.

A measure of club support? Really? If that is an indicator then it conflicts with a morgan poll done recently which showed the level of national support for the clubs. North Melbourne fared the worst of the Melbourne teams that despite having 45,000 members, the gallop poll suggested that nationally they only had 230,000 supporters which was over 130,000 short of other Melbourne based teams with lower memberships.

Statistics often lie. There is a saying that goes, "Statistics - beat them them around long enough and they'll confess". In other words they'll tell you anything, depending upon the answers that you're looking for.

I said it was an indicator, I never said it was the be all and end all. Any more than a roy morgan survey is.

Your using stats to counter stats

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Arbitrary retort really, it is a valid point, because i would have thought the Swans were working towards that.

Are Foxtel numbers included into that total and average? If not we could definitely reach that 4.5m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back