2016 Coach of the year - Clarko

Remove this Banner Ad

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
NOT OFFICIAL! But frankly I do not give a toss.

I love our boys but its plainly clear that without the benefit on 50 number 1 draftpicks ala GWS and GCS we are running low on 'raw talent' - sure we have some young exceptions and old guns - but we are not a team of champs. We are a champion team.

This year particularly - I recognise Clarko as such an amazing coach and leader.

Seriously! Best coach for 2016? Arguably - this guy is the best coach there has ever been.

Completely agree. But under the Coaches Association handicapped formula - I think the winner this year will be Don Pyke. Hopefully Clarko can celebrate with another pesky Jock McHale Medal.

While Clarko is a fantastic innovator and teacher, a coach is only as good as the players at his disposal

Alan Jeans thought so anyway!

And the players ability to work within the system .

Clarko has said time and again that he has tried to setup an autonomous system at Hawthorn, whether he has succeeded or not will only be know in the years after him leaving.

It's like when interviewing for new employees, it's less about raw talent nowadays, you want someone with a personality that will fit within the team, the rest, to an extent, can be taught.

Of course it goes without saying that talent is still valued, but much less if the talent can't play their role.

Bevo dislikes this post.

I am only going by the criteria which basically looks at ladder position from the previous year, player management and available list and resources. It's the Reason Clarko can't get near it. Bevo should be a contender for keeping the Doggies up despite their disastrous injury run. Pyke though has got a squad that would have still been in mourning, lost their best player and would have been expected to finish a bit lower down the ladder. Instead he had them within an inch of the top 4 - but overall improved their position by two places on the ladder compared to 2015. Based on the criteria that the award works with - I would prefer to see Pyke win it as opposed to anyone else. If Longmire gets it then it will be a farce.

I am only going by the criteria which basically looks at ladder position from the previous year, player management and available list and resources. It's the Reason Clarko can't get near it. Bevo should be a contender for keeping the Doggies up despite their disastrous injury run. Pyke though has got a squad that would have still been in mourning, lost their best player and would have been expected to finish a bit lower down the ladder. Instead he had them within an inch of the top 4 - but overall improved their position by two places on the ladder compared to 2015. Based on the criteria that the award works with - I would prefer to see Pyke win it as opposed to anyone else. If Longmire gets it then it will be a farce.
Yes, it's like the criteria for the AFLPA player of the year should be based on who the actual best player is, rather than the flashiest that the media fawn over because of the 'story' behind his move, which tends to influence player voting (and even umpire voting for Brownlow votes).

Many had already had us down to miss the 8 at the start of the year and then had completely wrote us off once we lost Roughead for the year and Hodge and Schoey for large chunks.

To get us as far as we have - even just being a straight kick away from a home PF - is well above many peoples wildest imaginations.

Just look at Freo for how we would've gone if not for Clarko's strategic nous.

That's why Hawks dominated the All Australian awards this year...... :oops:
New this thread was 'a big fat lie" as soon as I saw the title...
200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007: Semi Final - 14 wins - 10 losses
2008: Premiers - 20 wins - 5 losses
2011: Preliminary Final - 19 wins - 6 losses
2012: Runners-up - 19 wins - 6 losses
2013: Premiers - 22 wins - 3 losses (Greatest win-loss record in Hawthorn's history)
2014: Premiers - 20 wins - 5 losses
2015: Premiers - 19 wins - 7 losses
2016: Semi Final - 17 wins - 7 losses

Six times we've made it to a Preliminary Final during Clarkson's coaching tenure with at least 19 wins by the end of the finals campaign and he still hasn't won the award yet. :(

2007 - Semi Final - 14 wins - 10 losses
2008 - Premiers - 20 wins - 5 losses
2011: Preliminary Final - 19 wins - 6 losses
2012: Runners-up - 19 - 6 losses
2013: Premiers - 22 wins - 3 losses (The greatest win-loss record in Hawthorn's history)
2014: Premiers - 19 wins - 5 losses
2015: Premiers - 19 wins - 7 losses
2016: Semi Final - 17 wins - 7 losses

Six times we've made it to a Preliminary Final during Clarkson's coaching tenure with at least 19 wins by the end of the finals campaign and he still hasn't won the award yet. :(

Although he should definitely have been recognised at least once as coach of the year I really dont give a shite and I'm sure clarko doesn't either.

How many coaches of the year are going to get a statue at their respective footy clubs?

And given the quality of past hawthorn coaches it's truly something special.

Do you think the fact that he hasn't won coach of the year even crosses his mind when he is showing off our trophy cabinet? (Every coach of the year would droop, and be green with envy) Football isn't about individuals, it's about teams, and as Clarko has said our team extends beyond the 22 who represent us each game on the field.

Funny reading comments around this from neutral supporters who talk about how Clarko walked into a club on the rise and a group that would have had success regardless of who was coaching. It really good to show just how clueless people are. Apparently Beverage built the entire list from scratch and was solely responsible for recruiting. Don't get me wrong, I rate the guy as a coach but the glossing over of Clarko followed by this hyperbole about how Bevo single handedly built a team is a bit ridiculous.

Having a look at the list, Clarko was very stiff in 2008, 2011 (Worsfold? really?), 2013, 2014, 2015.

It's voted by the coaches for the coaches.

Surely it should be awarded after the Grand Final - I mean your coaching performance on GF day is probably a very important factor in how good a coach you are - then it can be weighed up against other coaches who didn't make it.

I have no problem with Beveridge this year even if the Dogs lose on Saturday - his coaching this year has been superb.

Coach of the Year Award
2003 Paul Roos Sydney
2004 Mark Williams Port Adelaide
2005 Neil Craig Adelaide
2006 John Worsfold West Coast
2007 Mark Thompson Geelong
2008 Mark Thompson Geelong
2009 Ross Lyon St Kilda
2010 Mick Malthouse Collingwood
2011 John Worsfold West Coast
2012 John Longmire Sydney
2013 Ken Hinkley Port Adelaide
2014 John Longmire Sydney
2015 Luke Beveridge Western Bulldogs
2016 Luke Beveridge Western Bulldogs

We haven't even won assistant coach of the year and we've had -- Hardwick, Cameron, Simpson, Bolton, Beveridge all go on and win senior roles.

Assistant Coach of the Year Award
2003 Neil Craig Adelaide
2004 Phil Walsh Port Adelaide
2005 Robert Wiley West Coast
2006 John Longmire Sydney
2007 Tony Micale West Coast
2008 Tony Elshaug St Kilda
2009 Mark Riley Carlton
2010 Brendan McCartney Geelong
2011 Darren Crocker North Melbourne
2012 Peter Sumich Fremantle
2013 Robert Harvey Collingwood
2014 Brett Montgomery Western Bulldogs
2015 Adam Kingsley St Kilda
2016 Stewart Dew Sydney

Having a look at the list, Clarko was very stiff in 2008, 2011 (Worsfold? really?), 2013, 2014, 2015.

It's voted by the coaches for the coaches.

Surely it should be awarded after the Grand Final - I mean your coaching performance on GF day is probably a very important factor in how good a coach you are - then it can be weighed up against other coaches who didn't make it.

I have no problem with Beveridge this year even if the Dogs lose on Saturday - his coaching this year has been superb.

Coach of the Year Award
2003 Paul Roos Sydney
2004 Mark Williams Port Adelaide
2005 Neil Craig Adelaide
2006 John Worsfold West Coast
2007 Mark Thompson Geelong
2008 Mark Thompson Geelong
2009 Ross Lyon St Kilda
2010 Mick Malthouse Collingwood
2011 John Worsfold West Coast
2012 John Longmire Sydney
2013 Ken Hinkley Port Adelaide
2014 John Longmire Sydney
2015 Luke Beveridge Western Bulldogs
2016 Luke Beveridge Western Bulldogs

We haven't even won assistant coach of the year and we've had -- Hardwick, Cameron, Simpson, Bolton, Beveridge all go on and win senior roles.

Assistant Coach of the Year Award
2003 Neil Craig Adelaide
2004 Phil Walsh Port Adelaide
2005 Robert Wiley West Coast
2006 John Longmire Sydney
2007 Tony Micale West Coast
2008 Tony Elshaug St Kilda
2009 Mark Riley Carlton
2010 Brendan McCartney Geelong
2011 Darren Crocker North Melbourne
2012 Peter Sumich Fremantle
2013 Robert Harvey Collingwood
2014 Brett Montgomery Western Bulldogs
2015 Adam Kingsley St Kilda
2016 Stewart Dew Sydney
Assistant coach award is horrible. I didn't even know it existed. Brett Montgomery instead of Bolton? What a crock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back