List Mgmt. 2016 Contract status

Remove this Banner Ad

I think allot will depend on results over the remainder of the season. If we go on a bit of run and, despite the injuries to the best players and senior footsoldiers held out for youth, finish up with 8 or 9 wins the club may convince themselves that all they need to is reload to go for a flag again. Then it'll just be the regulation 3 to 6 main list changes (with a trade / FA / Rookie upgrade included in that number).

If they feel we are still short, but not too far off, then I think they may still be pretty aggressive with the cuts and look to free up upwards of 6 / 7 / 8 main list spots (not that we would necessarily then take eight 18 years olds; I think there would be mix of trades / FA's and mature agers in there). At the same time we purge the rookie list (either elevated or delisted) and stash some of experienced but not over aged players there (Clancee, the pig etc.) in case by some miracle we're up and about in 2017 and need senior bodies.

If we collapse again and finish 4 - 18 (and it's not necessarily the raw number of wins and losses, but the manner of them and what the younger players show in them) I think the number of cuts would be similar but with no rookie list retentions.

For bookmarking, here is my list of players who may leave (whether delisted/ traded / free agent / injury retirement / retirement etc.) in order of decreasing probability:

Mzungu
Silvagni
Pavlich
DeLuca
De Boer
Clarke
Pearce (C)
Hannath
Hurley
Smith
Nyhuis
Morabito
Grey
Barlow
Johnson
Langdon
Yarran

Any reason you made Pearce the captain of the delist list?? Actually I am ok with it!!

Might want to update Lachie Neale's Contract status to end of 2019 Seppo ;)
thats nice. So neale stays until 2019.

Meanwhile pav is the only person confirmed will retire in 2016...

Mzungu might be forced to retire too.

De boer and Clancee pearce are both out of contract. I reckon one will be kept as depth.

As for the kpps.... Clarke, Hannath and Apeness are out of contract too. I dont want clarke to leave but he might be forced out. Hannath will be kept as deptg if clarke leaves. Apeness will get another year.

As for mayne and grey... A month ago i wanted mayne out but now he is trying his guts out.

Grey looks promising.

So, based on the news last night, Barlow has seen the writing on the wall and is resigned to the fact that he's trade material at best and delist material at worst. Given we're chasing draft picks, I can see him netting us some value (not huge but late second rounder I reckon). He could be worth something to a team on the re-build. Or alternatively, us.

So, based on the news last night, Barlow has seen the writing on the wall and is resigned to the fact that he's trade material at best and delist material at worst. Given we're chasing draft picks, I can see him netting us some value (not huge but late second rounder I reckon). He could be worth something to a team on the re-build. Or alternatively, us.

??

I didn't watch the news last night.

I saw that and I reckon that's a stretch

I saw that and I reckon that's a stretch

Is there anywhere anyone has summarised what he's said on the forums - or alternatively, is there a clip of it somewhere? I heard him on PR yesterday morning, and he said he was only 28 and confident he still had a lot of football left in him. No comment about being traded, of course.

Is there anywhere anyone has summarised what he's said on the forums - or alternatively, is there a clip of it somewhere? I heard him on PR yesterday morning, and he said he was only 28 and confident he still had a lot of football left in him. No comment about being traded, of course.

Ross said he is a special player and Pav has stated that he is the soul of the club and they should resign him. If his shoulder fully recovers you would think he isn't going anywhere.

Ross said he is a special player and Pav has stated that he is the soul of the club and they should resign him. If his shoulder fully recovers you would think he isn't going anywhere.

I hope so, even Macca put his oar in and said that if it were up to him, Mick would absolutely get another gig. Clubs need their Fyfes - the driven leader who will do whatever it takes to carry everyone along to where he wants to be (i.e. success) and will demand the same from the rest of the team - but they also need their Barlows - the workhorse who leads by keeping his head down and bum up and wears his heart on his sleeve about his love for the club. He's not the most talented, but his attitude and resilience are certainly important qualities in a senior player to have around youngsters who are still learning how to be good AFL football players.

I just don't get this. Barlow dragged us back into the St Kilda match. He was our best player against Port, our only win this year against some sort of quality. He is a good AFL footballer when his strengths are utilised. If you play to his weaknesses then his is very average, but that is true of many, many footballers. Why anyone would imagine his AFL career is over is totally beyond me.

If we are going to continue to act like we can challenge again next year we would need to be retaining players like Barlow. Letting him go would be tacit acknowledgement it’s a rebuild.

My no-real-evidence-at-all theory is that that there is a disagreement over contract length and / or money. He wants two / three years, we only want to offer one / two.
Now he’s busted his shoulder he’ll probably be stuck with one.

Something about the way Pavlich has spoken out in public about it doesn’t make me feel entirely comfortable about the internal goings on at the club at the moment. But hey, we’re 3 and 13 after starting the season gunning for a flag. I’m actually surprised everything has held together this well, but I digress..

I just don't get this. Barlow dragged us back into the St Kilda match. He was our best player against Port, our only win this year against some sort of quality. He is a good AFL footballer when his strengths are utilised. If you play to his weaknesses then his is very average, but that is true of many, many footballers. Why anyone would imagine his AFL career is over is totally beyond me.

Have to agree.
I reckon its all bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most on here I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't re-sign Micky. He's an incredibly good player when he is played on ball. He had an ordinary 2015 only because he was played out of position the entire season. His 2014 was far better and his 2013 was extraordinary - both times he played as a ball winner.

I've skimmed quite a few BF boards and I have to say the HFF seems to be the most maligned position on the field (although I still wouldn't want to be a defender either). Most good midfielders (especially ball winning types) that get played on a forward flank struggle and Barlow has definitely been in that category.

I do understand the thinking that there isn't room for Micky with Fyfe, Mundy, Neale and Blakely all inside mids with better skills. And add to that the rotating in of Hill, Walters plus Bennell next year. And that certainly does seem pretty crowded. But I'd argue that none of those players have stepped up and led us to a win this year despite some of them providing some spectacular individual performances. Whereas imo Barlow has, and possibly would have done again if he wasn't injured in last week's game against Geelong. I think his leadership is extremely underrated and makes him just as valuable, if not more, than most of those listed above.

Then you think about Mundy getting on in age, and Fyfe rotating forward, and we don't really have a big body in the middle when those two aren't there. And I'm all for having speed to clear the ball but I still think you need some bigger bodies to help win the ball first, and to provide blocks to free up your speedsters and power runners like Fyfe. Putting measures in place to improve our defensive transition is great but surely it makes more sense to prioritise maximising your chance to win clearances so the ball is heading forwards more often than not (ie you have to defend less). Especially when you don't (yet) have the same talent behind the ball that many of the top teams do.

I'm not saying Barlow doesn't have his limitations but I've seen plenty of teams (not just in football) stacked with talent that fall in a heap because of a lack of leaders with heart. We've been blessed with a guy that can not only drag his team to work harder but has far better skills than almost all of the "heart" players throughout the league. If we can't find a second rounder through less costly means then I think we aren't thinking hard enough.

#letskeepmicky

His quotes were effectively:

"I've got plenty of footy left in me"

And

"My form was improving over the last 10 weeks"

Combined with RTBs "no comment" on his future, I reckon he'll be traded.

I'd be happy with that but had it in my head he's out of contract end of this year.

Hopefully your records are better than my fuzzy memory.

I'd be happy with that but had it in my head he's out of contract end of this year.

Hopefully your records are better than my fuzzy memory.
Still can't find an article with it mentioned. Vaguely remember it being tacked on to another key re-signing - although could be wrong and confused with someone else.

Actually can confirm he is contracted now - found a Hackdorn article where he said he is out-of-contract in an article a week or so ago. So much easier to fact check when you just have to check Hackdorn saying the exact opposite.

Combined with RTBs "no comment" on his future, I reckon he'll be traded.
Ross's "no comment" was generic; he made it very clear it was to do with the club policy of not conducting list management reviews via the media.It had no more relevance to Mick than anyone else on the list.

Apeness will stay and, micky will be retained - he's as freo as it gets... he's also the best tagger we currently have and arguably the best mudlark ever to play the game. (It's still a winter sport). The only thing that might force Barlow out of the squad is injury... failing that, he ain't going anywhere.

Al this "Barlow leaving" crap is just media spin trying to make a headline about freo that people will want to read, given it's the tail-end of a losing season. Anyone who seriously thinks that Barlow is done/leaving the team next year is crazy... and that includes the selection committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back