List Mgmt. 2016 Delisted Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be possible that one of reasons Barlow did not come to us is that Thommo is going to be still a key inside mid in most or all games.
Extremely likely. Barlow is a smart player, he knew what we didn't. That with M Crouch and Thompson both on the list the absolute last thing we needed was another slow inside player.

So Crouch×2, Sloane and a bundle of project players and very inexperienced(midfield minutes)part timers to make up our midfield.

We are at a place where we should have been at least 2 years ago.

I think it is the right thing to do even though it is late in the day to do so,but I cant see our lot having the balls to play a midfield like this,especially after we drop a few games,so I expect to see plenty of Thommo and Douglas next season.

So Crouch×2, Sloane and a bundle of project players and very inexperienced(midfield minutes)part timers to make up our midfield.

We are at a place where we should have been at least 2 years ago.

I think it is the right thing to do even though it is late in the day to do so,but I cant see our lot having the balls to play a midfield like this,especially after we drop a few games,so I expect to see plenty of Thommo and Douglas next season.

Sadly. Is marking time the same as treading water?

Id definitely be open to giving Josh Green a rookie contract, as insurance for Betts if something bad were to happen.

Extremely smart player with the talent and goal nous to go with it.

A lot of you will scoff at me, but I actually rate Green and think he faces a massive uphill battle playing in the Brisbane forward line. If he gets another opportunity in a better system/set up, he will surprise a few.

So come draft night we will need to fill 6 spots on the list? wouldn't it be smarter to pick 4 players at the draft and use the last 2 sports to fill with delisted free agents?

So come draft night we will need to fill 6 spots on the list? wouldn't it be smarter to pick 4 players at the draft and use the last 2 sports to fill with delisted free agents?
Not necessarily. Depends greatly on whether or not there are actually any DFAs that the club is interested in signing. They were clearly interested in Barlow. We haven't had any reports that they're interested in anyone else (not that this means anything, given the wall of secrecy surrounding the club).

I think it depends what pick we need to use to get Ben Jarman and who is left on our hit list. If we can use our last two picks for BJ and ROB I think we'll probably go 4 "live" selections.

Not necessarily. Depends greatly on whether or not there are actually any DFAs that the club is interested in signing. They were clearly interested in Barlow. We haven't had any reports that they're interested in anyone else (not that this means anything, given the wall of secrecy surrounding the club).

If they are not interested in any of the other DFAs, then that is the correct decision, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A mature ager that may well perform at AFL level, not someone who's considered depth.
DFAs have all been delisted for a reason.

Mature aged state-league players are all playing in the state leagues for a reason (i.e. they've all been overlooked in multiple AFL draft years)...

Sometimes you can draft a mature aged player and it works out (JPod, Hartigan, Callinan, ...). A lot of the time it doesn't. I trust our recruiting team to know what mature aged players are available (DFA & State League), and whether or not they're worth signing.

I think it depends what pick we need to use to get Ben Jarman and who is left on our hit list. If we can use our last two picks for BJ and ROB I think we'll probably go 4 "live" selections.
Rob has already been promoted and doesn't require a draft night pick.

There are 6 free list spots after he has been promoted.

DFAs have all been delisted for a reason.

Mature aged state-league players are all playing in the state leagues for a reason (i.e. they've all been overlooked in multiple AFL draft years)...

Sometimes you can draft a mature aged player and it works out (JPod, Hartigan, Callinan, ...). A lot of the time it doesn't. I trust our recruiting team to know what mature aged players are available (DFA & State League), and whether or not they're worth signing.
Lots of success stories come from the state league. I reckon our side could do with a Menegola/Barlow-type to help out our immediate inside mid depth problem. Although he's not exactly the same type as the names mentioned above, I reckon a Jye Bolton could perform quite well in our side for a few years at the least.

I believe that the reconstruction of our midfield was a key factor in Walshy's aim to have us in contention by 2017. And then we lost Dangerfield...............

Our main midfielders in the second half of 2014 were Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Brad Crouch, Mackay, Henderson and Martin. Douglas was next in line and Matty Wright also played some minutes in the midfield. We struggled on the outside against the better teams using Mackay, Henderson and Martin (although Sloane and Brad Crouch did spend some time on the outside which covered up some of the problems).

In 2015 we lost Brad Crouch for the season but Dangerfield, Sloane and Thompson represented a strong group of first choice inside mids. We moved Wrighty to a full-time non-statistical forward role, moved Martin to the SANFL and Mackay and Hendo spent more time in defence. We gave CEY half a season, Lyons splinters, made Matty Crouch a full-time inside mid and introduced Atkins on the wing. Regrettably we gave vB and Mackay more time as outside mids.

The loss of Dangerfield and the slow decline by Thommo meant that two of our three key inside mids would be all but gone by 2017. Fortunately Brad slowly returned to form (I expect BIG things in 2017), Matty continued to improve and we added Seedsman as an outside mid.

Of the nine players we ran through the midfield in the second half of 2014 I expect only Sloane and Brad Crouch to be there by the end of next season (Dangerfield, Henderson, Martin and Wright have already left and I believe Thommo, Mackay and Douglas are on their way out). We have added Matty Crouch, Atkins and Seedsman and we need to find four more part-time or full-time mids. IMHO Charlie and Riley are a lock and we need to find two more from CEY, Wigg, Greenwood, Gore, Milera, Menzel plus the draftees.

It might take until 2018 until we are where we need to be but we are well on the way.

You do know that this is the delisted free agents thread. Can't see a single reference to a delisted free agent up there. My comment regarding Matty Crouch only getting back into the midfield, seeing as you brought him up, courtesy of a player resting was relevant to your post. Had it not been for that resting player, we don't know how long he would have spent in the magoos, it had already been one week.

Interestingly, every time I mention Thommo, despite it being relevant to the direction of the thread and often in direct response to a post about him, you quote me. You don't happen to have a bit of an obsession with me do you. I notice that you don't pull up anyone else who mentions Thommo, but every single time I do, you're there telling me I'm obsessed. I know that you were wrong about where he'd end up this year, full of huff and bluff after 6 rounds that I was miles off the mark, but turns out you're not quite the judge you believe yourself to be. Clearly you've taken it to heart and stalk me awaiting for my next mention of Thommo. Well here you go, I reckon I've written his name a couple of times here, plus a couple of references to him where I just referred to him as a resting player. Don't shoot your load all at once.

A mature ager that may well perform at AFL level, not someone who's considered depth.
We have ours ....Beech

Only reason to go a mature ager is to fill a need ......doubt any state league midfielder will help us to the next level of midfield excellence??

We have ours ....Beech

Only reason to go a mature ager is to fill a need ......doubt any state league midfielder will help us to the next level of midfield excellence??
Beech isn't a mid, though? That's what we need, a ready to go mid that can produce the same output as Lyons did last year. Reckon Bolton could do that, don't think CEY can.

Of course, if we get Brodie, that's a different story...

Beech isn't a mid, though? That's what we need, a ready to go mid that can produce the same output as Lyons did last year. Reckon Bolton could do that, don't think CEY can.

Of course, if we get Brodie, that's a different story...
:huh: That doesn't make sense though .....if we want the same output, we keep Lyons ......we have to replace Lyons with a player that improves upon Lyons

IMO Milera / Menzel for Lyons, is that improvement

:huh: That doesn't make sense though .....if we want the same output, we keep Lyons ......we have to replace Lyons with a player that improves upon Lyons

IMO Milera / Menzel for Lyons, is that improvement
Or we draft a mature ager with a late pick (again, see Barlow/Menegola), and draft a better potential prospect with 43. Net improvement.

And again, I don't see us contending next year with only three good, true inside mid, clearance-winning types in our 22.

Or we draft a mature ager with a late pick (again, see Barlow/Menegola), and draft a better potential prospect with 43. Net improvement.

And again, I don't see us contending next year with only three good, true inside mid, clearance-winning types in our 22
I'm much more optimistic that you then ;)

I'm much more optimistic that you then ;)
Look at the Bulldogs. They had Bont, Dahl, Libba, Smith and Dunkley. We have Sloane, Brouch and Mrouch. Now if Douglas returns to form as a full-time inside mid that helps, but I'll trust our inside mid brigade to get the job done when we hopefully add Greenwood and pick 13 (if it is, in fact, an inside mid).

Look at the Bulldogs. They had Bont, Dahl, Libba, Smith and Dunkley. We have Sloane, Brouch and Mrouch. Now if Douglas returns to form as a full-time inside mid that helps, but I'll trust our inside mid brigade to get the job done when we hopefully add Greenwood and pick 13 (if it is, in fact, an inside mid).
Hangon there .....i ask you at the start of this season & you wouldn't have named Smith and Dunkley as key midfield ingredients (never) .......success changes views

So i say, ATS we don't know who'll be our Smith and Dunkley ......but there will be ...Greenwood, Knight, Milera, Menzel, Hampton ......trust the process, that's a lot of talent there

Hangon there .....i ask you at the start of this season & you wouldn't have named Smith and Dunkley as key midfield ingredients (never) .......success changes views

So i say, ATS we don't know who'll be our Smith and Dunkley ......but there will be ...Greenwood, Knight, Milera, Menzel, Hampton ......trust the process, that's a lot of talent there
This is fair. I do think we'll see Greenwood playing a role in the 22 by the end of the year. I don't see Menzel/Hampton/Milera being used as that hard bodied type, like Dunkley or Smith. Knight I also see being used more on the outside. Maybe 13 will develop enough to become a best 22 component, like Dunkley did?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back