MVP 2016 Doig Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the bit where he quoted the story of Adam Selwood slagging Peter Bell during a match. Bell picked his moment perfectly when he said "Yes Adam, I am a short-arse, but at least I'm the best footballer in my family".

No I heard that. Was definitely sober at that stage. Was pretty funny though, wasn't it? It was something much later around the time Doig Winner was announced I think. Thanks anyway Deano. :thumbsu:

Looking at the Doig Medal top 10 and adjusting for votes per game:

Neale 9.09 votes per game

Hill 8.10

Walters 6.91

Pav 6.56

BARLOW 6.15

Spurr 5.27

Mayne 4.50

Ballas 4.25

Mundy 4.17

Sheridan 3.10.

Clearly that Barlow is a list clogger and should be moved on immediately.

So, this morning I went on-line to read all of the news articles on this important night for our club. Given the hoo-haa made about the Worsfold medal only a few days ago, I thought that I would have lots to read.
Nah!
ABC (our national broadcaster) - nothing!
WAToday (local Fairfax e-newspaper) - nothing!
PerthNow (News Corp - Seven Holdings) & The West Australian (Seven Holdings) - yes.

I thought that I'd help out old "Aunty" so I sent them a link from the Freo website to tell them all about it.

So, this morning I went on-line to read all of the news articles on this important night for our club. Given the hoo-haa made about the Worsfold medal only a few days ago, I thought that I would have lots to read.
Nah!
ABC (our national broadcaster) - nothing!
WAToday (local Fairfax e-newspaper) - nothing!
PerthNow (News Corp - Seven Holdings) & The West Australian (Seven Holdings) - yes.

I thought that I'd help out old "Aunty" so I sent them a link from the Freo website to tell them all about it.

If that Freo hater Ross Solly is reviewing their sports content, you'd be lucky to find anything.

Did Morabito attend last night and was he mentioned in Ross's or other's speeches?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing Clancee not being there made it hard for Ross. That's when he started choking up as he was reading out his name

Reckon we should rename it the Matthew Pavlich medal.
I hope we don't. At least for now. Keep it the Doig and change it when Pav is old and dottery.

Otherwise we might end up like the muppets up the road whose BnF is named after an opposition coach.

I hope we don't. At least for now. Keep it the Doig and change it when Pav is old and dottery.

Otherwise we might end up like the muppets up the road whose BnF is named after an opposition coach.

Whole heartedly agree. The history of the "muppets up the road" only begins when they were created for the AFL.

Freo, on the other hand, have real history which stretches back just over 100 years.

Yeah they must regret naming the award after a two time premiership captain and premiership winning coach.

At least our BnF is named after a man who actually played for our club

Whole heartedly agree. The history of the "muppets up the road" only begins when they were created for the AFL.

Freo, on the other hand, have real history which stretches back just over 100 years.

Educate me on how the Fremantle Football Club (est. 1995) has a history stretching back over 100 years and wasn't created by the AFL

At least our BnF is named after a man who actually played for our club

The name of your clubs medal was appropriated from the award given to the best player in the WAFL pre-season competition. First winner of the John Worsfold medal was Dion Woods.

Last edited:
Yeah they must regret naming the award after a two time premiership captain and premiership winning coach.
You missed my point. I agree that J. Worsfold is completely worthy of having a BnF medal named after him - but the fact that he's still in the AFL system and is currently an opposition coach is weird. It’s not like he’ll be able come to the Eagles dinner to present the Medal at least until he’s not working in the AFL.

Hence my suggestion to wait a few years until Pav isn’t in the system before we change the BnF medal to “The Pav”.

Am I the only one who sees merit in changing to The Doig-Pavlich Medal? After an appropriate waiting period, of course...but a fine way to honour both the deep traditions of football in Fremantle through the Doig family and the burgeoning history of the Fremantle Football Club.

'Twas another good night, although in the circumstances one which seemed rather more insubstantial than usual with no Con Regan Medal or life memberships to hand out.

It was another very strange speech by Ross, reading most of it in the flattest tone imaginable before tearing up when mentioning the departing players. I was rather worried by it to be honest - although this was relieved by seeing Ross more convivial and animated after the dinner than I ever have before.

Pav's speech truly brought the house down. Please let him and him alone be the one to present the cup to the captain and coach when that great day comes!

While I have absolutely no issue with David Mundy as the captain, alas he still has a lot of work to do in terms of public presentation - he really did mumble his way very awkwardly through his segment with no sense of authority at all. In that sense, it reminded me very much of Taberner's deer in the headlights speech when he won the Beacon a few years ago! Certainly a contrast with the polished efforts by the two Lachies, who are a good deal younger...

Clancee was the only player noticeably not there, everyone else seemed to be, by my reckoning. I thought at one point that I had walked up behind a house mop in a Daniel Hechter suit, but he turned around and to my great relief it was only Nathan Fyfe. ;)

Looking at the Doig Medal top 10 and adjusting for votes per game:

Neale 9.09 votes per game

Hill 8.10

Walters 6.91

Pav 6.56

BARLOW 6.15

Spurr 5.27

Mayne 4.50

Ballas 4.25

Mundy 4.17

Sheridan 3.10.

Clearly that Barlow is a list clogger and should be moved on immediately.
Find it interesting again: That is an average of 1,82/game (out of a possible 5)from each coach for Neale. What is he supposed to do to get 5? 60 disposals and 4 goals? Sure our season was abysmal, but still feels low for me...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back