List Mgmt. 2016 Draft discussion - PSD & RD Monday, Nov 28 4pm

Currently no 1st rounder and our 2nd round pick touted for Hibberd.

Scope for discussion is a little narrow atm

Picks however may come our way via trades and 3rd rounder speculation is such fun...

KEY DATES
  • The NAB AFL Draft heads to Sydney in 2016. The draft will be held on Friday, November 25.
  • The NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts will be held from 4pm on Monday, November 28.
Edit: Updated to reflect end of trade period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Board record that a draft thread not started til mid-September?
Was so good to not be talking draft picks by June or even July. I think we will trade back in to at least the 2nd round.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It'll be really interesting to see which way we go.

You wouldn't think we'd want to delist 7 or 8 players for a bunch of picks in the 40s to 70s.

Well either lay pretty low and retain a few players that we weren't expecting (Dunn, Michie, Grimes, JKH, Garland, Terlich, Pederson, Newton, Dawes, Jones etc), or we'll pull a couple of surprise trade moves with a senio player or 2.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I'm absolutely not trolling, so I apologise in advance if it comes across that way, but I was wondering what Dees fans think of having trade out their 2016 first round pick? Given the link to Hibberd with your second rounder, and the Dees still being in rebuild mode (almost finished, mind you), I'm wondering if what the general consensus is - whether it was worth it or not.

Cheers.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'm absolutely not trolling, so I apologise in advance if it comes across that way, but I was wondering what Dees fans think of having trade out their 2016 first round pick? Given the link to Hibberd with your second rounder, and the Dees still being in rebuild mode (almost finished, mind you), I'm wondering if what the general consensus is - whether it was worth it or not.

Cheers.
We're happy to have gotten the Weid and having got a year of development into him that a 2016 pick obviously wouldn't have.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Cheers.
It was a calculated risk to take two picks in the top 10 last year, rather than one each year. Knowing we needed another key forward that would take time to develop. There is also the fact that this years draft crop is seriously lacking in the Key Forward stakes.

Im not all that worried about not having a pick to the 3rd round. Still plenty to play out between now and then, but Casey are playing in a VFL Grand Final next week on the back of our depth.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Cheers.
I thought it was a good idea at the time, and haven't had any reason to change my mind on that at this point. There are so many very inexperienced players in Melbourne's best 22 that there comes a point where you have to cease looking for solutions in the draft and focus on getting games into the group across the board. Anyhow, there is always the tantalising possibility of picking up a low pick unknown like Jayden Hunt that turns into a gun.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn't mind taking a punt on Oscar from Casey, been there one year after playing EFL and pushed Max king out of the seniors side and played second ruckman there. Won the development league B&F off 12 games too

Cheers.
The major reason we did the deal was in order to move up from pick 6 to pick 3 last year in order to swoop on Clayton Oliver. IMO Oliver will end up being the best player from the draft except perhaps for Weitering so it will have been well worth it.

On a 2016 note, fingers crossed we can pull another Jayden Hunt out of the bag with our third rounder. Otherwise this draft will end up looking a lot like 2011 for us.

The major reason we did the deal was in order to move up from pick 6 to pick 3 last year in order to swoop on Clayton Oliver. IMO Oliver will end up being the best player from the draft except perhaps for Weitering so it will have been well worth it.

On a 2016 note, fingers crossed we can pull another Jayden Hunt out of the bag with our third rounder. Otherwise this draft will end up looking a lot like 2011 for us.

Don't be so down on 2011 just yet, Taggert's folks have the car packed for the trip down from Shep - just waiting for the call from Neeldy.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I haven't even looked at any draft

Cheers.

Definitely worth it, will end up being one of those win/win trades for both clubs.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cheers.

Saw it as a risk at the time but after watching Oliver and Weideman this year, I'm very confident it'll turn out well for us long term.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
After watching the replay of the Scorps game today, I'd be pretty keen to draft Keilty, and at least Rookie Smith and McInerney. Suitably impressed with the three of them.
Yes. I liked them. And for some weird reason I decided early in the match mcInerney was terrible but I have no idea what I was basing that on, then I felt bad about it because I totally changed my mind. Keilty looks promising - I talked to some guy on the day and he reckons someone will definitely pick him up. I have no idea what his knowledge or authority is, but he sounded convincing.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes. I liked them. And for some weird reason I decided early in the match mcInerney was terrible but I have no idea what I was basing that on, then I felt bad about it because I totally changed my mind. Keilty looks promising - I talked to some guy on the day and he reckons someone will definitely pick him up. I have no idea what his knowledge or authority is, but he sounded convincing.

Haha I was the exact same regarding Mcinerney! Think it was that handball into the man on the mark on the wing early in the game, and also his lanky appearance that did it for me

Upgrade Wagner could be a possibility.

DemonTim what do you think about picking up Declan Kielty with a late pick? Or rookie pick? Looks like he'd add depth at either end of the ground.

Also, do you think Joel Smith will be ready for senior footy next year? or elevation of rookie status? He looked really solid on the weekend when Salem went down he filled that role really well.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Upgrade Wagner could be a possibility.

DemonTim what do you think about picking up Declan Kielty with a late pick? Or rookie pick? Looks like he'd add depth at either end of the ground.

Also, do you think Joel Smith will be ready for senior footy next year? or elevation of rookie status? He looked really solid on the weekend when Salem went down he filled that role really well.
I've been a big fan of Declan this year, he's played really well in defense (and now forward too). Would definitely be happy with us picking him up. He has a connection to the club, knows the game style, and has done training sessions with melbourne throughout the year. Would definitely be worth picking up

I would say smith will be elevated. The kid reads the play better than some blokes who have been in the system years, is hard at it, has good leap and pace, and a decent shoe. Hoping both are on Melbournes list next year

Throw in Oscar and I would be a happy man.

I've been a big fan of Declan this year, he's played really well in defense (and now forward too). Would definitely be happy with us picking him up. He has a connection to the club, knows the game style, and has done training sessions with melbourne throughout the year. Would definitely be worth picking up

I would say smith will be elevated. The kid reads the play better than some blokes who have been in the system years, is hard at it, has good leap and pace, and a decent shoe. Hoping both are on Melbournes list next year

Throw in Oscar and I would be a happy man.

Oscar McInerney? I was actually thinking he'd be worth at least a rookie position to cover Gawn/Spencer. Looks like he could even be more damaging forward than Spencer. First I've seen of him on the weekend. Took him a bit to work into the game but looked solid up forward later on and definitely serviceable in the ruck.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Oscar McInerney? I was actually thinking he'd be worth at least a rookie position to cover Gawn/Spencer. Looks like he could even be more damaging forward than Spencer. First I've seen of him on the weekend. Took him a bit to work into the game but looked solid up forward later on and definitely serviceable in the ruck.
Yeah i agree, McInerney In, Max King Out

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd be happy to use a late pick on him. Kids gone from EFL, to development league, to seniors in the space of 12 months, and won the development league B&F from half a year

I'd be happy to use a late pick on him. Kids gone from EFL, to development league, to seniors in the space of 12 months, and won the development league B&F from half a year

I wonder if hell be on the radar of other clubs.

Back