List Mgmt. 2016 Draft discussion - PSD & RD Monday, Nov 28 4pm

No Hamish then, obviously nobody rated him after his injury. Hopefully he can go away and train hard and get picked up next year

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
How long a contract do Rookies get?

Otherwise, I guess all these guys COULD be the next big thing, whereas Grimes, Terlich and co had hit and bounced off their ceilings.

Feel bad for Matt Jones though, thought he had a bit more to offer.
They can be on the rookie list for 2 years, so I assume the contracts are the same as that

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sure, and this is a fair rebuttal and some great points. I guess I just see more upside in drafting a Scharenberg/Brayshaw type for a year and seeing what they're made of.
Scharenberg maybe. Brayshaw looks pretty plain. Another Jayden Hunt type project would've had me excited.

But I'm counting McKenna as close enough to a draftee and I think he and Hannan are both going to be flexible and talented. So 2 developing options. 2 needs based developing options in DJ and Flippers. And 2 mature depth players in Tim Smith and Keilty.

Next year Jason Taylor goes in to find some more top end classy youngsters to keep building the list.

They can be on the rookie list for 2 years, so I assume the contracts are the same as that
Pretty sure its one year and can be kept on for three, might be wrong though. IIRC the single year deal is part of the appeal for clubs.

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
We were really lucky with injuries this year, so I'm more than happy picking up Smith and Keilty as depth, and if either of them can make the next step to becoming best 22 that's just an added bonus. Better than drafting raw key posts - we have them in Hulett and Weideman.

A developing ruck was necessary and taken. We also have a bevvy of midfieldiers that were either played out of position or played mostly VFL last year - think ANB, JKH, Ben Ken, Petracca, Brayshaw, Harmes - so just loading up on young midfielders for another year would just be unnecessary.

Johnstone looks like he will be groomed as a small forward who can also take a mark which is a bit of a gap on our list and Hannan appears to be a bit of a wild card (shitty comparison, but reminds me a lot of the Howe recruit who we picked up as a mature-ager).

Overall I'm actually pretty pleased with the way the drafts went down. We added youth where we though it was necessary (Johnstone and Filipovic) and handy depth where we needed it. Our list certainly looks a lot more rounded now that we've gotten rid of a bunch of the midfield plodders.

We were really lucky with injuries this year, so I'm more than happy picking up Smith and Keilty as depth, and if either of them can make the next step to becoming best 22 that's just an added bonus. Better than drafting raw key posts - we have them in Hulett and Weideman.

A developing ruck was necessary and taken. We also have a bevvy of midfieldiers that were either played out of position or played mostly VFL last year - think ANB, JKH, Ben Ken, Petracca, Brayshaw, Harmes - so just loading up on young midfielders for another year would just be unnecessary.

Johnstone looks like he will be groomed as a small forward who can also take a mark which is a bit of a gap on our list and Hannan appears to be a bit of a wild card (shitty comparison, but reminds me a lot of the Howe recruit who we picked up as a mature-ager).

Overall I'm actually pretty pleased with the way the drafts went down. We added youth where we though it was necessary (Johnstone and Filipovic) and handy depth where we needed it. Our list certainly looks a lot more rounded now that we've gotten rid of a bunch of the midfield plodders.

Fair points. With the way everyone talks about Keilty I've got a funny feeling he might end up as Pedersen 2.0 - that tall bloke who you can plug in absolutely anywhere. Ruck was a definite need. The only real gripe I've got is the lack of a developing small defender - Nev is sensational but he's literally our only small. I know they're few and far between but if Nev were to go down we'd get demolished by Betts, Wingard et al.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure its one year and can be kept on for three, might be wrong though. IIRC the single year deal is part of the appeal for clubs.
They definitely can't be kept for three, maximum 2 years on the rookie lost, but can't be delisted and rerookied

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon our picks look good, our list has a hell of a lot of youth, do we really need to take a draft load of 18 year olds each year?
Pretty much this. We can't keep bringing in 18yo players for the sake of it. I like our selections in RD. I thought perhaps we could have gone a ruck forward in ND but it's hard coming in where we did.

Still. I don't understand why we did not draft OMcmk2 but we chose Filipovic.
They've probably had a fair bit of insight into Filipovic from scouts watching Sandy generally this year plus Maxy's work down there as a ruck coach. Perhaps Filipovic is more coachable...plus generally as a footy club we've had a pretty damn good record of coaching up ruckmen over the last 25 years. Stynes, White (although hugely talented already), Simmonds, Jolly, Jamar, Gawn...pretty good strike rate as long as they can be coached.

Comparisons...

Richmond - one good ruckman I can name over the last 20 years (Maric)
Geelong - haven't been able to develop their own true rucks for a decade - Ottens, McIntosh, Stanley, Clark, Smith all brought in instead.
GWS - haven't even had a homegrown ruck.
Port - also brought in a lot of rucks - Primus, Renouf, Ryder.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think these picks say we wanna play finals this year
Why have 3 18 year Olds who will add nothing to the list when we have blokes who might Crack the 22 next year
2 Casey blokes is fantastic, that shows the system we are running at Casey is developing players the coaching staff believe capable of playing the Melbourne system

Pretty much this. We can't keep bringing in 18yo players for the sake of it. I like our selections in RD. I thought perhaps we could have gone a ruck forward in ND but it's hard coming in where we did.
100%.
Smith a great choice for mine and could play some senior footy next year depending on the development of/how we plan to use Weideman.
Bit of a young Pedo from what I've seen but better on the deck

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
100%.
Smith a great choice for mine and could play some senior footy next year depending on the development of/how we plan to use Weideman.
Bit of a young Pedo from what I've seen but better on the deck
I watched the VFL grannie but no other Casey matches apart from the couple on telly, but Smith didn't appear to be playing as a tall forward.... more like Russell Robertson, taking screamer chest marks.

Back