2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We saw what they had and it wasnt good enough. The others at least had potential and you have to keep getting kids through the club, the fact none of them played a game is inconsequential, plenty of diamonds found late in the draft.

Not that late and it's not like we've been short on kids.

Not that late and it's not like we've been short on kids.
If you seriously want to argue the benefits of Golby and Lisle, go for your life. But I dont think it is credible.

We drafted a couple of skinny KPD's knowing we would need KPD's in the future. Didnt come off. s**t happens. The difference is we had seen what Golby and Lisle had and it wasnt good enough. FULLSTOP.

If you seriously want to argue the benefits of Golby and Lisle, go for your life. But I dont think it is credible.

We drafted a couple of skinny KPD's knowing we would need KPD's in the future. Didnt come off. s**t happens. The difference is we had seen what Golby and Lisle had and it wasnt good enough. FULLSTOP.

So we drafted players who more than likely wouldn't get to their level. FULLSTOP.

So we drafted players who more than likely wouldn't get to their level. FULLSTOP.
Life would be a lot easier if we could predict how well players would develop. We tried and it didn't work and often it doesn't. The fact that there are significant numbers of delistings by clubs across the board shows we are not alone in trying players on the fringes in the hope of finding some gold somewhere. Incidentally, Golby and Lisle both played VFL this year and on what I observed were underwhelming at that level. Golby's best years were very early on for us and had obvious flaws and Lisle never really showed enough.

Life would be a lot easier if we could predict how well players would develop. We tried and it didn't work and often it doesn't. The fact that there are significant numbers of delistings by clubs across the board shows we are not alone in trying players on the fringes in the hope of finding some gold somewhere. Incidentally, Golby and Lisle both played VFL this year and on what I observed were underwhelming at that level. Golby's best years were very early on for us and had obvious flaws and Lisle never really showed enough.

You can predict with some accuracy. That's why picks in the 60s and 70s are worth bugger all academy bidding points.

You can predict with some accuracy. That's why picks in the 60s and 70s are worth bugger all academy bidding points.

How would you explain a player like Rockliff who was overlooked in the main draft altogether? You are correct, the odds are far lower for picking up a good player the later in the draft, but they are not nil, and so a player we know is not going to be an AFL level footballer should give way to one who may be one.

We don't want are entire team to be made up of 18 year olds, so as long as there are adequate levels of baseline competant players to protect the kids then I have no problem doing some speculative drafting.

No. It isn't. Some in this context means at least a little. If I said a lot of accuracy. Then you'd be closer to the mark.
Fair enough, so what you meant to say was at least a little accuracy. Now we agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, so what you meant to say was at least a little accuracy. Now we agree.

You look at the draft though and IIRC it was a record or close to a record low of players being drafted and the rookie draft had a lot of mature agers. Most recruiters saw it as a very shallow draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/how-the-sydney-swans-and-western-bulldogs-built-their-lists

Sighh, look at the value Sydney Swans and Bulldogs have generated from 3rd round onwards (lets forget the 2nd round which both have got absolute stars in)
if only our team can one day get it together like that

Other than 2010-2011 years which shall forever be known as PolecNotHeppell / LongerInFirstRound years, I think our drafting has been generally good. Perhaps lacking a little in identifying value in mature prospects.

The big difference is our lack of good development program. So many second/third year kids are running around displaying the same traits they did at 18, rather than significant improvement.

You look at some of the late selections by Sydney. Would they have done as well had they come to us?

Other than 2010-2011 years which shall forever be known as PolecNotHeppell / LongerInFirstRound years, I think our drafting has been generally good. Perhaps lacking a little in identifying value in mature prospects.

The big difference is our lack of good development program. So many second/third year kids are running around displaying the same traits they did at 18, rather than significant improvement.

You look at some of the late selections by Sydney. Would they have done as well had they come to us?
Also the lack of elite 1st round talent on our list. We can't rebuild a list with just second round picks. Having elite talent like Schache and Hipwood on our list has made a huge impact going forward.

Scrappy start from McCluggage in the All-Star game, but just got himself a goal. Knows where the ball is that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back