2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with TBD that McCluggage gets some easy ones... but he does it so regularly. Just always in the right spots. Very hard to teach.

Taranto also just gets himself involved. Like McCluggage just looks like a footballer. Bolton also impressive, speed is doing damage on the outside, but he is working hard defensively doing all the little things. Some contested ball wins, spoils etc. Not just a 1 trick pony.

Some of the standouts of the first half:-

McCluggage is clearly head and shoulders above the rest - real class.
Taranto is all class - seems to have so much time and uses the ball well. Well balanced and rarely rushes things.
Bolton - very lively and quick. Would be a vg pick up at 20. Has an X factor about him.
Ainsworth - Zorko like qualities.

Wish they had player names on the back of the jumpers - would make it easier to identify players.

McCluggage, Taranto, Bolton and SPP all looked a class above. McGrath showed his class with a run down the wing from HBF near the end of the second quarter. SPS the best for Micky O's team.

Concur with comments above on who has looked good. Bolton speed and athleticism impressive and he used them both attacking and defensively.

Battle with a couple of goals up forward has looked OK.

Sps disposal a bit disappointing I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four for McCluggage now. I was hoping he would have a game like this since i had convinced myself i wanted us to take McGrath, and thought Essendon probably would. Now Essendon would be mad to pass on him. Either way, we are going to end up with an absolute gun!

It's safe to say McCluggage goes 1 and likely McGrath 2. Both super talents. After that will be interesting. Ainsworth was good today and will capable of playing round 1 next year. Scrimshaw could be anything but probably needs to put more weight on his light frame. Taranto never seems to play a bad game and is very composed. SPS was much better today but i wouldn't have him top 5.

I have to say that this years top crop all leave me a little underwhelmed from the little I have seen of them. I don't see the hurt factor in McCluggage (yes I know he kicks goals but I'm talking about hurt factor in the midfield contests) and guys like Ainsworth and Mcgrath are a little undersized.

Lots of potential but seems like every prospect has question marks over something in their game or a physical attribute.

Gee, I wish we get an extra pick around 8-12.

3 top 20 picks should inject some real talent and hopefully Watson and Allison develop well.

It's safe to say McCluggage goes 1 and likely McGrath 2. Both super talents. After that will be interesting. Ainsworth was good today and will capable of playing round 1 next year. Scrimshaw could be anything but probably needs to put more weight on his light frame. Taranto never seems to play a bad game and is very composed. SPS was much better today but i wouldn't have him top 5.
I think you're right on the money there Royboys.

I have to say that this years top crop all leave me a little underwhelmed from the little I have seen of them. I don't see the hurt factor in McCluggage (yes I know he kicks goals but I'm talking about hurt factor in the midfield contests) and guys like Ainsworth and Mcgrath are a little undersized.

Lots of potential but seems like every prospect has question marks over something in their game or a physical attribute.
You mean like Daniel, Cyril,Picken, Mitchell, etc.

Wasn't able to get down today but I caught the second half on Fox. We've all talked enough about the top prospects and how good they are(How good was McCluggage's 4th goal!) so I'll give some love to Bolton whose speed on the outside is very damaging. Oliver Florent is another who has impressed me every single time I've seen him. I'd love to grab one of those two with pick 20 but wouldn't be surprised to see them go in the 10-17 range.

Looking likely that we'll end up with McGrath at pick 2. I can't see the Bombers trading away pick 1 with McCluggage available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back