2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I right to say that if either Allison or Watson are bid on/after pick 56 that with the discount it will cost us nothing and that we can simply use picks 76 and 78?

Also, if say Allison is bid at pick 41 by Ess, and our deficit is 215 points, how do we pay for this next year?
215 point equates to pick 54

Just my opinion, but:
1. Clarke has elite handball delivery and wins the ball in the trenches. I'd much rather someone with those traits than someone with elite skill by foot that needs the ball won for him.
(By the way, Clarke by foot is not exactly poor, just not always elite)

2. In the example above, if we don't take Brodie at 3, I'll be very disappointed if we don't take Clarke with any of the next 3 picks (provided he is available). Except for club's picking for needs, I don't see him lasting to 22/23 (and maybe not to 17 ....not on my board at least [prelim. assessment stage])

(ps As per usual, my preferences will be in a state of flux until 25/11/16 puts me out of my annual pre-draft misery)

NOTE: the above commentary is relevant as at 1645 Thurs 20/10/16 ................subject to change ........ at the drop of a hat ........ at any moment in time ....... (thus remaining true to BF draft recruiter historical practice)

Don't get me wrong I really rate Clarke and I kind of expect him to go in the teens. If I were to continue with my mock draft I probably would have had him going at pick 24 to the Saints. If we walked away from the draft with Clarke I'd be happy. I really rate this draft and don't think we can really go wrong with our picks 16, 21 and 22. I'd be happy with any of Logue, Florent, Bolton, SPP, Clarke, CCox, Drew, Witherden, Simpkin, Venables, Rotham, Villis, Scharenberg. I obviously have my preferences within that group but if we walked away with any combination of those three players I wouldn't complain. One player who most have in the same tier as all those players who I don't rate though is Gallucci. I just can't see him becoming a quality AFL player.

Just my opinion, but:
1. Clarke has elite handball delivery and wins the ball in the trenches. I'd much rather someone with those traits than someone with elite skill by foot that needs the ball won for him.
(By the way, Clarke by foot is not exactly poor, just not always elite)

2. In the example above, if we don't take Brodie at 3, I'll be very disappointed if we don't take Clarke with any of the next 3 picks (provided he is available). Except for club's picking for needs, I don't see him lasting to 22/23 (and maybe not to 17 ....not on my board at least [prelim. assessment stage])

(ps As per usual, my preferences will be in a state of flux until 25/11/16 puts me out of my annual pre-draft misery)

NOTE: the above commentary is relevant as at 1645 Thurs 20/10/16 ................subject to change ........ at the drop of a hat ........ at any moment in time ....... (thus remaining true to BF draft recruiter historical practice)

Clarke would suit Fagan's plans to emulate he Bulldogs handballing ability out of the contest.

Would any of the draft experts support drafting English with one of our second round picks?

Interesting situation:

If we do go into deficit to take Allison and/or Watson after a bid in the 3rd or 4th rounds, what happens? Remember Collingwood owns our picks in those two rounds.
  • It gets taken off our original 3rd or 4th rounder and Collingwood gets screwed (a little).
  • It gets taken off our first round pick.
  • It gets taken off our next available pick that is actually assigned to us (fifth rounder, which might not be worth any points).
  • It gets taken off our next available pick (Collingwood's fourth rounder).
  • Other

I cannot see it coming off the picks we traded out. That would be unfair even on Collingwood (plus, it would mean all the other clubs would be wary about accepting our future picks). My guess would be if you don't have a pick in the appropriate round, it comes off the earlier round (so our future second), but I haven't seen anything published about that.

However, important to note - the future pick we acquired was Collingwood's future third. That should have a decent points value.

Would any of the draft experts support drafting English with one of our second round picks?
No, this draft is even and we need to address other areas than the ruck. If we wanted to further bolster the ruck we should have gone after nankervis

No, this draft is even and we need to address other areas than the ruck. If we wanted to further bolster the ruck we should have gone after nankervis

I was thinking of bolstering our developing rucks. It was just a though. Stef is our next player to retire probably in 2-3 years. It would be good to be prepared.

I was thinking of bolstering our developing rucks. It was just a though. Stef is our next player to retire probably in 2-3 years. It would be good to be prepared.
Gil: Pick 3 - Brisbane Lions
Schwab: Player number 123456 - Billy Longer... I mean, Tim English...

But ruck is so speculative, we have got archie and eagles on the rookie list and a number of players that could fill in close, walker. Plus the rules keep changing and I think the days of the massive ruck might be limited and mobile users come more in vogue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way would i go a tall. We still have Archie developing, Eagles as some short term back up. I think we see how Stef goes next year and when he looks to be getting close to target a fringe ruck from another club. We need to keep injecting midfield talent, still so ? around a lot of our young mids, few sure fire options.

Might be a reach at our picks but I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Witherden.

I'd be stoked if we got Witherden. Was considered top-10, even top-5, by some prior to his injury. I'd say he'd be right in the mix at our #16. I'd be worried another club may take him if we waited til #21.

Not certain that it was a 'cat out of the bag' moment but on the Lions Trade Wrap video Fagan said that this years draft was a good draft for midfielders and rebounding defenders. But then again he did say when he first came on board about small forwards and defenders. Frankly, I ain't got no clue but I do think the first pick will be out of Brodie, Ainsworth and I'll throw SPS in as a smokie.

Wouldn't see it as a reach. A very even draft between picks 10-30 and all clubs rate the prospects differently. He is the kind of prospect our recruiters like I reckon with his height and skill set.
My thoughts exactly! We tend to like the "highly rated prospect who suffered an injury" type too. Also from the Falcons, who we tend to pick off

Not saying these are my choices but:

Pick 3: Brodie
Pick 16: Simpkin
Pick 21: Witherden
Pick 22: Cox

Would you be happy with that!

If Essendon go McGrath which is a fair chance I just can't for the life of me see GWS taking McCluggage. They don't need another midfielder surely? Ainsworth just fits into their line up so well from my perspective and I can definitely see them taking him at number 2. Leaving McCluggage for us. :cool:

Would be a great draft if we land him alone given he has had statistically one of the best draft years in a while. Probably won't be the best to come out of the draft but should still be a solid 150 gamer at least.

Not saying these are my choices but:

Pick 3: Brodie
Pick 16: Simpkin
Pick 21: Witherden
Pick 22: Cox

Would you be happy with that!
Could be risky taking two players who didn't play in their final underage season due to injury in Simpkin and Witherden. I rate them both and would love to nab one of them but both might be a little too risky. I assume you mean Cedric Cox at pick 22? If so I wouldn't be against selecting him there as a draftee with a high ceiling but he's a bit of a risky prospect as well. As for Brodie I wouldn't complain but would prefer 4-5 players ahead of him at pick 3(McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth, SPS and maybe even Taranto).

If Essendon go McGrath which is a fair chance I just can't for the life of me see GWS taking McCluggage. They don't need another midfielder surely? Ainsworth just fits into their line up so well from my perspective and I can definitely see them taking him at number 2. Leaving McCluggage for us. :cool:

Would be a great draft if we land him alone given he has had statistically one of the best draft years in a while. Probably won't be the best to come out of the draft but should still be a solid 150 gamer at least.
I reckon McCluggage will become a young star in the way Josh Kelly has. I'm not comparing them as players as they have different game styles but at junior level they both just looked like natural, classy footballers who were almost sure things to translate into AFL level smoothly. Kelly has gone on to do just that and I reckon McCluggage will as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back