2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Briztoon good job on the prior listing of payers utilising Twomey's work. In regards to English and also Marshall I would hope to god we don't draft them. I personally would rather Olango than English and hope that we could get him in the rookie (highly unlikely). Marshall I just can't see making it, sorry. I think the fact that both Simpkin and Witherden as they have been injured and have been out for the entire year. However both players would already have been known by the recruiters and would expect one of them to be there at 16. maybe just maybe the other might be there by 21,22.

Totally agree I would go Olango late in the draft or rookie

Last edited:
Starting to have a bad feeling Essendon will take McGrath, GWS will take Ainsworth and we will end up with McCluggage. I know he would be a great consolation prize but his lak of contested numbers when compared with McGrath and Ainsworth concern me a little. Plus Ainsworth is a generally exciting player and want to see him in our forward/middle line.

Briztoon good job on the prior listing of payers utilising Twomey's work. In regards to English and also Marshall I would hope to god we don't draft them. I personally would rather Olango than English and hope that we could get him in the rookie (highly unlikely). Marshall I just can't see making it, sorry. I think the fact that both Simpkin and Witherden as they have been injured and have been out for the entire year. However both players would already have been known by the recruiters and would expect one of them to be there at 16. maybe just maybe the other might be there by 21,22.
I'm right with you in regards to English and Marshall. I want to steer clear of them. The list was simply one possible ranking, and I was pointing out that all the players people were mentioning for our pick 16 could all be taken before our second pick, and unlikely to see any fall to picks 21 & 22.

You guys might have already seen this as I put it up on youtube a few weeks ago but here is a video I made. It is a compilation of all the best stuff from both the 2015 and 2016 carnivals.

This kid is a jet and I am disappointed it doesn't look like we are going to take him. I honestly think he has so many AFL transferable skills and that he will be a real impact player who can swing matches in his team's direction.

If not for injury and suspension upsetting the continuity of this season, I'm certain he would have been talked about in even greater terms and be right in line for pick 1. I think he will be the right fit for you guys and he suits the gameplan I imagine Fagan will want to implement, to a tee. Anyway, here it is:

You guys might have already seen this as I put it up on youtube a few weeks ago but here is a video I made. It is a compilation of all the best stuff from both the 2015 and 2016 carnivals.

This kid is a jet and I am disappointed it doesn't look like we are going to take him. I honestly think he has so many AFL transferable skills and that he will be a real impact player who can swing matches in his team's direction.

If not for injury and suspension upsetting the continuity of this season, I'm certain he would have been talked about in even greater terms and be right in line for pick 1. I think he will be the right fit for you guys and he suits the gameplan I imagine Fagan will want to implement, to a tee. Anyway, here it is:

Well do us a favour then and tell Dodoro to take the McCluggage as a lot of us are starting to get a little bit nervous about it now yeah!

Commentator: "If it's not Schache, it's Ainsworth".

Yes please.

Ainsworth, Schache and Mathieson, all used to play in a team together, very much doubt they would leave and would already have some type of chemistry together. Would really form the core of our team going forward.

Plus we are starting to add some aggro in our team with Ainsworth, Mathieson, Keayes, Hipwood

Ainsworth, Schache and Mathieson, all used to play in a team together, very much doubt they would leave and would already have some type of chemistry together. Would really form the core of our team going forward.

Plus we are starting to add some aggro in our team with Ainsworth, Mathieson, Keayes, Hipwood

Don't make me smile in such dull times for our football club it's weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries guys.
Yeah I'm fairly certain we will take McCluggage or McGrath and GWS will take the other. Word from those in the know suggest we are leaning towards McGrath.

For you guys it would depend if you wanted to draft a reliable 200 game inside ball winner in Will Brodie or a guy who will be a momentum turner, match winner and crowd favourite in Ainsworth. SPS, perhaps.

No worries guys.
Yeah I'm fairly certain we will take McCluggage or McGrath and GWS will take the other. Word from those in the know suggest we are leaning towards McGrath.

For you guys it would depend if you wanted to draft a reliable 200 game inside ball winner in Will Brodie or a guy who will be a momentum turner, match winner and crowd favourite in Ainsworth. SPS, perhaps.
What makes you think GWS would take the other 'Mc', they already have plenty of midfielders, Ainsworth is something different to their team.

No worries guys.

I think we got a couple of safe midfield prospects last year in Mathieson and Keays. It's time to take one with a higher ceiling.

just listened to David Nobles interview on radio TAB this morning (linked in coaches thread) he made a few interesting points.

1) the club sees this years and 2017 drafts as 2 very strong drafts, (best in the last 5 years or so) good for us with 2 1st round picks this year and next.

2) grabbed the 2017 1st round pick with a bit of an eye on a highly rated academy player from next year whom they expect an early bid on. he didn't mention who, although you would expect it is Connor Ballenden.

3) with a block of 3 picks from 16-22 we are placed very well strategically to draft with needs in mind as well as the usual best available method.

No worries guys.

:(:'(:thumbsdown::fire:

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year. The attachment people get towards a certain player they see mainly through YouTube highlights packages and textual descriptions seems a bit OTT. Whoever we land, assuming we'll be picking from one of McCluggage, McGrath or Ainsworth will do me fine - we've got a need for all 3 types.

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year. The attachment people get towards a certain player they see mainly through YouTube highlights packages and textual descriptions seems a bit OTT. Whoever we land, assuming we'll be picking from one of McCluggage, McGrath or Ainsworth will do me fine - we've got a need for all 3 types.
Well knowing absolutely nothing about the draft or what picks we have and only seeing the highlight tape of Ainsworth not five minutes ago after catching up on this thread by starting on page 155 my expert opinion is I have a huger boner for the kid and if we don't draft him I hope our whole recruiting team is fired and burnt at the steak.

But for realz that draft tape was all class, absolutely incredible vision and delivery by foot. So many times I was like where the hell is he passing only for him to have found a team mate perfectly with a well placed handball enabling them to catch it at full pelt and completely break the game open. This Ainsworth kid looks the goods.

But for realz that draft tape was all class, absolutely incredible vision and delivery by foot. So many times I was like where the hell is he passing only for him to have found a team mate perfectly with a well placed handball enabling them to catch it at full pelt and completely break the game open. This Ainsworth kid looks the goods.

Oh look, I get it to an extent and I do find myself hoping we get him, but if it goes down another way I'm not going to get all :(:'(:thumbsdown::fire: about it (no offence to jjami15 )

I have to agree that the clip put up makes him look like an irresistible draft option, but isn't that the point? I mean you could make a video the same about virtually any player. not saying he isn't good or worth picking (personally I would love to have him) just playing devils advocate.
I dunno its a pretty long clip, I could understand if it was a quick 2 minute video but there was a fair bit of stuff in there, consistent as well. I followed some previous drafts closely and no highlights ever got me as excited as that. I understand yes highlights are meant to flatter a player but geeze you can see the class. From reading the last few pages the term 'one touch' was thrown around a bit, it definitely shows that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back