2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone watching tonight can see the value of contested ball especially out of the middle.

So true. Was very evident last night wasn't it? Sort of makes me want us to draft Brodie. Can never have enough ball winning midfielders, right?

I'm still hoping we draft McLuggage or SPS over Brodie though. We need players who can kick, and hopefully Mathieson can be that Griffen/Priddis type for us going forward.

So true. Was very evident last night wasn't it? Sort of makes me want us to draft Brodie. Can never have enough ball winning midfielders, right?

I'm still hoping we draft McLuggage or SPS over Brodie though. We need players who can kick, and hopefully Mathieson can be that Griffen/Priddis type for us going forward.
any of those 3 you mentioned would be great, i was an SPS fan for our 1st pick but i have waned and am know McGluggage > Petrevski-Seton > Brodie > Ainsworth > McGrath.

still hold out some hope than Jansen may be an inside bull as well, might be a late developer ah la Kennedy (swans).

Yeah i was the same earlier in the season, was definitely hoping we'd take SPS. But there is no denying McLuggage now. Has made a compelling case for the number 1 pick since the start of the championships. I can see why Essendon would pass on him and opt for Brodie instead though, certainly fits their need. Here's hoping they do.

Geez, i'd love Mcgrath too. Exactly the type we need in our backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would love Liam Ryan with a late pick, been carving it up in the WAFL. i remember somebody on our board being very keen on him earlier in the year.
It was lionshine who 1st told everyone I believe . Great call. All for a go to get providing he displays the right character.Well done and great job lionshine!!!!!

Me to. I'd be taking Brodie and Ainsworth.
As TFB alluded to above, Will Brodie will be on the first flight back to Victoria after his first 2 years at the club(If he doesn't request a trade after year 1). Go home factor is huge with him so we are better served looking at McCluggage/SPS/Ainsworth/McGrath.

Last edited:
I wouldn't completely rule out McGrath at our pick although I do consider it an outside shot. His form this season at both the U18 Champs and in the TAC Cup has been superb and I expect him to move into top 3 contention after the Combine in which he should perform very well as he has top class athletic ability. If the Dons select McCluggage at pick 1, I expect the club to do it's due diligence and understand the risk it would be to take Brodie, and with that in mind it will come down to a choice between SPS/Ainsworth/McGrath and I wouldn't complain with any of the 3. McGrath will turn out to be a great player at AFL level in my opinion and he has legitimate leadership potential. He would be a very safe pick.

As TFB alluded to below, Will Brodie will be on the first flight back to Victoria after his first 2 years at the club(If he doesn't request a trade after year 1). Go home factor is huge with him so we are better served looking at McCluggage/SPS/Ainsworth/McGrath.

Where is this go home stuff coming from in relation to Brodie?

Brodie is a BC boy who had boarded the last few years at Scotch College. Doesn't exactly scream mothers boy to me. I think TFB is alluding to drafting anyone from another state that will leave. I put my trust in the Lamberts!

I think TFB is alluding to drafting anyone from another state that will leave. I put my trust in the Lamberts!

No, I'm not. Heard he's a flight risk. It's a big risk to take that the Lamberts will be able to persuade all kids to stay. They didn't at GWS. Can't take the chance with high picks.

If we have a top 2 pick and have to be in a perpetual state of worrying about the kid pissing off we're beyond hope. I understand there are some realities we'll never change due to the nature of the game but if our recruiters are taking the kid they rate at 5 because they feel he's slightly more likely to stay than the guy they rate at 2 then pack it up, hand the keys to the AFL and go home.

Can you provide an actually link or genuine evidence that Brodie is a flight risk.

I think that's the "heard" bit, i.e. someone told him directly. He probably doesn't have an audio recording.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back