2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No guessing or innuendo about it now if he wants to come and we are certainly interested. Was already pretty sold but to come out so publicly speaks volumes.

Holy s**t I know its early in the morning but did I read that right? A top prospect wants to play for Brisbane??? It was mentioned like 4 times my god I think we can pretty much lock it in. Surprised the recruiting team didn't all have heart attacks when they heard that. This Ben kids sounds like he has a bit of spunk, getting more excited for next year.

should brisbane use this to its advantage and maybe pick another player at 3 and get ainsworth in 2 years?

That would be 15 different kinds of stupid.

The top part of the draft remains open, with Essendon appearing likely to choose between Hugh McCluggage and Andrew McGrath with pick one.

If Essendon goes with McGrath it could leave Greater Western Sydney to look at small forward Ben Ainsworth and see McCluggage possibly land at the Brisbane Lions at pick three.

However, if the Bombers go with McCluggage then the Giants would swoop on the speedy McGrath, leaving Ainsworth in the mix for the Lions' pick.

Midfielders Will Brodie, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Tim Taranto are others in the Lions' range, while Carlton has been linked to Petrevski-Seton with its pick No.5.

http://afl.com.au/news/2016-11-03/h...hayward-rocket-into-top-15-draft-calculations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schwabby said we know who GWS are going to take (but not Essendon) so unlikely GWS will take Ainsworth is my guess

He knows who GWS wants but if Essendon pick him then it'll change things.

Second year in a row a gun draftee rated in the top 3 has wanted to join the Lions coinciding with the two consecutive years we've actually had top 3 draft picks. I'm quietly confident we'll end up with Ainsworth. I reckon the Bombers will draft McCluggage leaving McGrath for the Giants and Ainsworth for us.

Second year in a row a gun draftee rated in the top 3 has wanted to join the Lions coinciding with the two consecutive years we've actually had top 3 draft picks. I'm quietly confident we'll end up with Ainsworth. I reckon the Bombers will draft McCluggage leaving McGrath for the Giants and Ainsworth for us.
The connection with Schache is the big thing, I hope we get another top prospect from Vic Country at a later pick to give them a bit of a crew to hang around, while that might sound almost spurious, we have to start approaching our list management differently because what we have been doing hasnt been working.

The connection with Schache is the big thing, I hope we get another top prospect from Vic Country at a later pick to give them a bit of a crew to hang around, while that might sound almost spurious, we have to start approaching our list management differently because what we have been doing hasnt been working.
Simpkin, Berry and Witherden in the mix with picks 16/21/22.

Moving interstate would be much less daunting when you already have mates at the club. Vic country kids know they have to move away from home regardless so they mentally prepare for it a lot earlier.

That would be 15 different kinds of stupid.

I don't think borrat was seriously suggesting that. Seemed like a tongue-in-cheek comment on our history of developing young players only for them to move to their club of choice after two years. As in, wouldn't it be nice if it worked the other way for a change.

That's how I read it, anyway ;)

This is my favourite bit!!! Make him a Lion!!
"If I could choose anywhere I'd like to go, I'd say Brisbane," he says. "I'd love to play there."
Hopefully by saying this so publicly it will stop GWS from picking him anyway.
GWS would know that we want him and now that he has publicly stated he wants to come to Brisbane then that might sway their thinking. Mcgluggage is a good get at 2 anyway if The Bombers take Mcgrath. He has a habit of finding space and kicking goals.
Could actually be a pretty direct swap for Lachie Whitfield if he gets banned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back