Universal Love 2016 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the old cows will get confused argument again? How could it possibly be s**t for farmers?
Im amazed at how many people up here don't understand that day light savings is simply adjusting a clock...they seriously think it makes the sun last longer every day..:drunk:

Is this the old cows will get confused argument again? How could it possibly be s**t for farmers?

I'm in horticulture....and I have crops that need to be picked.

Usually you need daylight to do that. Daylight doesn't begin till the sun comes up.

As summer goes and autumn begins the sun naturally comes up later. Add an hour to that and basically it's 7:30 before your picking gets underway to a meaningful level.

Meaning we lose 1 hour per day of
Picking

1h for seven days x 4 weeks x 2 months

That's why it's s**t old mate

Usually you need daylight to do that. Daylight doesn't begin till the sun comes up.

As summer goes and autumn begins the sun naturally comes up later. Add an hour to that and basically it's 7:30 before your picking gets underway to a meaningful level.

Picking

Surely you can just adjust your start times?

Yeah, but let's say you start picking at sunrise and pick for 4 hours.

It doesn't matter if that's 6.30 - 10.30 or 7.30 - 11.30.

The sun doesn't know what it says on your clocks. It's the same temperature...

Picking

Start 1 hour earlier or is that just way to hard??? When I work up there people are walking around at 4am WTF

Us Mexicans just don't get it obviously, I used to work up there heaps and I just don't think they understand it's the same amount of daylight hours :eek:
Correct, there's the same amount of daylight in a day, however the clock is adjusted.
Shithouse though when dealing with the eastern states from WA and the extra hour, not good for business communications.

I'm with you... 8:30pm and it looks like noon outside, what sort of s**t is that ?!
Try living in WA .. the sun comes up at FOUR AM!!! The kids get up ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but let's say you start picking at sunrise and pick for 4 hours.

It doesn't matter if that's 6.30 - 10.30 or 7.30 - 11.30.

The sun doesn't know what it says on your clocks. It's the same temperature...

Give the sun a clock for Christmas = problem solved

Cows make their own way to the dairy in the morning. During daylight savings that happens an hour later because unfortunately they don't have watches.
Because the milk truck still turns up at the same time, now they turn up halfway through milking rather than afterwards. Either that or you have to go wake the cows and chase them to the dairy, which adds work and can hurt your milk production.

Always amusing when people make fun of farmers because they believe the farmer can't understand a simple concept, when it is in fact that person who can't understand a simple concept.

Bolts got what he wanted - left footers who can use the footy & line breakers. SOS got who we wanted.

good-good-its.jpg

Cows make their own way to the dairy in the morning. During daylight savings that happens an hour later because unfortunately they don't have watches.
Because the milk truck still turns up at the same time, now they turn up halfway through milking rather than afterwards. Either that or you have to go wake the cows and chase them to the dairy, which adds work and can hurt your milk production.

Always amusing when people make fun of farmers because they believe the farmer can't understand a simple concept, when it is in fact that person who can't understand a simple concept.

Then dairy farmers are probably the only people genuinely affected by DLS. For the rest of us, it's only positive. I live in Qld and the sun is fully up by 4.30am. What's the point? No one is up at 4.30, except dairy farmers. It's just wasted sunlight. Give it to us in the evenings when we actually use it for something. The whole population is held to ransom by a few dozen farmers who are mildly inconvenienced by it. FMD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back