Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This year we wont have too many options in the draft.
Having traded away our second rounder to GWS and with us hopefully finishing top 4, and with a slew of academy kids in the first round, there might not be too much for us to get excited about.
We really need a hard mid this year, and of course Jonty would have been the one, but as usual we wont be in a position to get him with our first pick.
Other than mids I think we need to look at another ruck prospect later in the draft.
There is also the chance that we lose our first rounder by trading in Neale, in which case there might not be too much to get excited about.
So who would be good options for a third and fourth round pick?
Im also not sure how Ben Jarman will go this year and if he cost us anything earlier, or if we go for him at all.
I dont mind Jorden Sweet as a late fourth or rookie ruck prospect, also Curtlys brother might be interesting at our first round pick.

Skippos might be able to give some info on Hampton, Sweet and Jarman.
(I have a thing for SA players at the moment).

6BTS

Club Legend
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, King James
Considering our queue of fringe players, there might be scope to pick up draft picks at the trade table. I have no ill feelings towards Ivan Maric or Chris Knights wanting to go to a club that would give them a regular AFL game and I think we're in a position again where we might have a couple of kids wanting to find a club that will give them far more opportunities to play AFL. I'm actually surprised Lyons has stuck around so despite our situation with draft selections, I predict that given the current climate we'll see at least one trade that nets us at least 1 extra draft pick. Maybe more.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we pick up a developing tall. We need to have replacement KPF and KPDs in 4 to 5 years.

You never know when Injury etc could strike. KPF is more of a need.

For Mids our needs won't be met through drafting. We need to FA or trade if we are going to get someone in that position.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Jonty Scharenburg, exactly what we need without taking into account any free agents or trades we might make.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Josh Battle = KPF...showed plenty last season, if he goes on with it as expected would be a great pick up, often compared to Jack Darling..

Ezekiel Frank = KPF/3rd Tall, Indigenous lad with plenty of X factor, can hit the scoreboard in bunches when on, think Mitch McGovern type.

And the obvious one Jonty Scharenberg of course!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was an interesting point made somewhere about KPFs and that was it is very rare for a KPF drafted outside the first round to actually make it.
Would be interesting to see how the numbers stack up.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I think we'll trade back into the second round. Perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder plus a player (Mackay, Lyons, CEY appear the most likely candidates at this stage).

As for the draft, I think we need to absolutely take the best available midfielder with our first pick, or trade it in a deal for an established player such as Neale or Hurley if they end up being options for us.

With our second pick, I'm thinking another mid. Would be nice to get at least one who is left footed too.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Who is tradable and looking for greater opportunity that we can get some picks for? Thinking Richmond need a classy HBF with precise kicking skills. Grigg for a third rounder? Will lowden and Kelly hang around?

CEY, Lyons, Mackay are the three IMO. Package up a later pick with one of those and we might get into the second round. Depends how each of them perform for the remainder of 2016 as to how much demand there'll be of course.

All others are either required players (Gore, Wigg, Shaw, plus everyone who's played so far this season), not worth anything in the trade market (Otten, Kelly), or certain delistees (Grigg, Lowden).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back