Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Retire: Thompson Jaensch VanBerlo
Delist: Lowden Grigg
Trade Bait: Henderson Lyons
No Trade Value: CEY Shaw Otten (1 year "dead man walking" deals)

Promotion: Beech OBrien
Re Rookie: Hunter Ramsay

Should give us 3 draft picks:
Jamie Hampton - Outside, Line Breaker
Ben Jarman - Inside Smart Small
Jordan Sweet - Big tap ruckman

Not bad.. but I can't see Henderson having much currency to be honest.. and I think you're underselling CEY. I reckon:
Delist: Lowden Grigg Shaw Otten
Trade Bait: Lyons, Mackay, CEY
No Trade Value: Henderson (1 year "dead man walking" deals)

Can't understand people calling for us needing more defenders,. Back six of Hartigan, Talia, Brown, Laird, Lever, Seedsman/Smith/Hampton should serve us well for years to come.. Throw in Doedee who from his tapes (and last weeks SANFL game) looks like a ripper.... Focus solely on midfielders

I think we need to try an nab a key back late.
Outside of those you named we have Otten Ramsey Shaw none of which have guranteed futures.

skippos, whats your thoughts (if any) on Tom Matsoulidis and Hayward out of north Adelaides u18's? (not sure how to properly tag people in comments)

Matsouliadis is a contested beast with break away speed a bit like Danger. His big let down is he is all explosive and has little endurance. He is working on it, but in todays game it will cost him.

Hayward is the one to watch there. He is bolting up the charts. Really competitive, he is about 6-2 and can play mid and forward. Has a huge vertical leap and is a strong mark. I expect he will make the final SA U18 team and will play well. A lot to like there.

Another to keep an eye on is Tye Bedford from Sturt. An indigenous lad who is about 6-2, is solidly built, super composed, agile and a great mark. Could be something special. Played most of his footy as a forward, but has been moved to wing and on ball and is dominating.

Slimming seems to be struggling a bit. I think his size and light frame are marking it difficult. Has real skill and speed to burn, but needs a very free flowing outside game to dominate. The experience he is gaining in the ressies is great for him. I suspect he has dropped from first to second round at the moment.

Matsouliadis is a contested beast with break away speed a bit like Danger. His big let down is he is all explosive and has little endurance. He is working on it, but in todays game it will cost him.

Hayward is the one to watch there. He is bolting up the charts. Really competitive, he is about 6-2 and can play mid and forward. Has a huge vertical leap and is a strong mark. I expect he will make the final SA U18 team and will play well. A lot to like there.

Another to keep an eye on is Tye Bedford from Sturt. An indigenous lad who is about 6-2, is solidly built, super composed, agile and a great mark. Could be something special. Played most of his footy as a forward, but has been moved to wing and on ball and is dominating.

Slimming seems to be struggling a bit. I think his size and light frame are marking it difficult. Has real skill and speed to burn, but needs a very free flowing outside game to dominate. The experience he is gaining in the ressies is great for him. I suspect he has dropped from first to second round at the moment.
thanks DJ, my thoughts on Tom exactly, but still just so explosive and such a good user of the ball. also, really like watching Hayward play, could be that marking mid we are looking for (likely a later pick as well), even though I saw him as more of an intercept and creative half backer. Slimming I've watched plenty of and always thought he looked a fragile, but gee when he's up and running he's a machine.

The kid English from WA is shaping well

At 204cm could be the next Rory Lobb as seems to get the ball around the ground and take contested marks so should be able to play forward

Sharenberg hasn't shown to be likely top 10 as bit limited on the spread , could be an option with our first pick . Looking solid rather than a blue chip but would be an upgrade on Lyons

CEY will have currency - especially if he plays some good AFL footy this year which is possible . Keep or trade back into 2nd round . Won't be a delist

If Neale wants to come then happy to give our first pick up for him as likely sharenberg types won't be any better and Neale gives us the immediate impact for this potential window opening up for us

Next year maybe the year for the KPF with a few likely types as bottom age this year

I think we need to get back in 2nd round this year and grab best available inside/ outside mid

And grab another ruck with our 3rd pick or 4th as there are a few good ones this year and lowden/ hunter need upgrading

Ideally - first pick- Neale or someone in draft we prefer to Neale
Second pick ( after trading CEY and potentially some other pick swap ) - an inside/ outside mid

Third pick - talented Ruck ( as this draft is good for rucks)

Other option is to look to trade next years 1st round and grab Neale and another mid in draft this year eg Shaz etc

May be time to get aggressive and do this although next year looks the year to get that young KPF

Watching St.Peters vs Immanuel last week and Hayward was easily BOG in the first half. Matched up on Scharenberg at centre bounces and Will dominated him 1-on-1. Bedford was BOG in the second half kicking four goals forward after spending the first half on the wing.

Will Hayward won't be a 'late pick', he should rise very sharply and will be considered around the pointy end of SA draft hopefuls.

Watching St.Peters vs Immanuel last week and Hayward was easily BOG in the first half. Matched up on Scharenberg at centre bounces and Will dominated him 1-on-1. Bedford was BOG in the second half kicking four goals forward after spending the first half on the wing.

Will Hayward won't be a 'late pick', he should rise very sharply and will be considered around the pointy end of SA draft hopefuls.

I certainly think Hayward is going to leap the draft boards.

What are your thoughts on Bedford as a draft prospect?

Patience
yes I know we've waited long enough
b crouch will be great remember he has played virtually no footy
players are down we've had a tough draw
they'll get better
one thing I do agree on it's time for payback and yes let's poach an elite mid from another team

Patience
yes I know we've waited long enough
b crouch will be great remember he has played virtually no footy
players are down we've had a tough draw
they'll get better
one thing I do agree on it's time for payback and yes let's poach an elite mid from another team

Wouldn't it be nice if a certain L.Parker was available (and willing to come to SA)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rekon we've got our premiership squad, they just need games played experience.

I disagree - games like Friday night and the previous week show just how far away from a premiership team we are. We need significantly more quality through the middle and defence. We shouldn't have to play Mackay, despite his slight improvement. Thommo and Dougie are on their way out. Hartigan, Cheney and Hendo pale in comparison to Talia and Laird.

Nightmare has J Scharenberg at pick 10. The next best Sa kid is Graham at pick 19.

Whoever the best mid is, we grab them.

We think about all the others then pick the best Kid with our first pick,
on a rating system for our needs,
1 Midfield inside (ie Thommo type but quicker)
2 Midfield inside/outside ( Sloane type but bigger body)
3 Midfield outside (Sloane Type )
3a Small defender ( Laird type)
4 Ruck ( a taller Jacobs will do)
5 KPP Forward (Back up )
6 KPP defender ( back up)

Nightmare has J Scharenberg at pick 10. The next best Sa kid is Graham at pick 19.
Don't want Graham. He has been a man child for some time and dominates because of it. Might really struggle against people his own size and bigger.

Did anyone manage to see the U18 V U20 match? Would love to hear how it went.

Don't want Graham. He has been a man child for some time and dominates because of it. Might really struggle against people his own size and bigger.

Did anyone manage to see the U18 V U20 match? Would love to hear how it went.

They had a livestream of the game and have uploaded it to youtube.

U20's won easy, 46 points. They looked more like a team than the U18's. Kicked away, U18's made a bit of a comeback in the 3rd but then fell away. The U20's played with more intensity, probably due to the greater senior experience. Some of them could easily get drafted this year. I liked the games of these guys (From memory)

-17 Henry Carey Had a great 2nd quarter. Seemed to position himself well., kick well, do most things well.
-4 Maris Olekalns Made a couple of errors late but showed plenty. For the most parts great by foot. Could easily get drafted this year.
-14 Lachlan Hosie Reminded me a little bit of McGovern. Skinny medium forward, good overhead mark, fast and mobile.
-25 Andre Parella Felt he was better with his placement of his hits in the ruck and was more visible around the ground.
-8 Josh Koster Uses his body well to ride bumps, evade tackles. Quick and classy finish in front of goals
-22 Callum Wilkie I think it was him. Great kick out of defence. Linked up a few times as well. The U20's defence was good by foot most of the game

It was a bit harder to tell the U18 players apart, but these guys stood out (Again, from memory)
-6 Jake Comitogianni I liked his endeavour. Seemed pretty skinny, but cracked in all game. Pretty good skills, tackled well.
-7 Alex Villis I liked his game. If he is around later in the draft, I would like us to draft him. Seems great by foot.
-10 Dakota Nixon Tried hard all game. He seemed to run hard defensively whenever U20's had the ball
-29 Corey May Did some nice things in the forwardline. Kicked a great goal around his body in the 2nd half.
-22 Will Hayward Super skinny, but stuck some tackles. Took a hard hit in the 1st but ran out the game.
-48 Callum Coleman-Jones Started slowly, but worked his way into the game well. 198cm tall for next years draft, still 16. I think he will tear up the NAB U18's next year.
-17 Jordan Houlahan Has a great vertical leap on him. Had some good moments for the game. Massive potential. Another player to look forward to next year.

We need midfielders. With what we've got on our senior and rookie lists, our foward and back lines look pretty solid, but we seriously need to restock our midfield to replace what we've lost (and are about to lose). Need at least one midfielder with some genuine pace (Cameron is stepping up there, and Milera looks like he'll be good with a couple more preseasons behind him, but that's about all we've got apart from maybe Hampton?) and another inside ball-winner.

Maybe use a speculative late pick on a ruckman, or promote O'Brien as backup for Sauce and rookie a new one as a long term option.

We need midfielders. With what we've got on our senior and rookie lists, our foward and back lines look pretty solid, but we seriously need to restock our midfield to replace what we've lost (and are about to lose). Need at least one midfielder with some genuine pace (Cameron is stepping up there, and Milera looks like he'll be good with a couple more preseasons behind him, but that's about all we've got apart from maybe Hampton?) and another inside ball-winner.

Maybe use a speculative late pick on a ruckman, or promote O'Brien as backup for Sauce and rookie a new one as a long term option.
t thought that's why we picked up Paul Hunter out of the NEAFL Comp for??

Emma Quayle's early take on this year's leading draftees...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-who-wants-to-be-the-no-1-pick-20160530-gp7cd5.html

Interesting......
Kobe Mutch
Mutch is from Broken Hill and has a claim to fame: his mother, a hairdresser, works with Taylor Walker's mum. He relocated to Bendigo this year, and plays for the Pioneers.

Size:184cm, 79kg
Born:18/3/1998
Team:Allies

Type:
A midfielder who has surprised some with his improvement this year, physically and on the field. Can get a lot of the ball.

The fixture

Round one

June 4: SA v Allies at AAMI Stadium, 10.30am

June 5: WA v Vic Country at Perth, 11am

Round two

June 12: SA v WA at AAMI Stadium, 11.20am

June 13: Vic Country v Vic Metro at Simonds Stadium, 12pm

Round three

June 18, WA v Allies at Perth, 11.20am

June 19, SA v Vic Metro at AAMI Stadium, 10.45am

Round four

June 24: SA v Vic Country at Etihad Stadium, 12.35pm