Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Do you know if we're one of those teams?

Very keen on him with a later pick. Great pair of hands
Honestly don't know. Personally I think we might be, but that's probably based on hope as much as anything.

Steven Slimming is one who has completely fallen off the radar it seems.

Was being talked up at the start of the year (pretty sure he even trained with us), played U/18's for SA, a handful of league and ressies games, but now he's not even being listed as a late pick in the phantom drafts.

Would he be worth a punt with one of our late picks? Plays a bit like D-Mac (though I haven't seen him get knocked over by a football).

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Steven Slimming is one who has completely fallen off the radar it seems.

Was being talked up at the start of the year (pretty sure he even trained with us), played U/18's for SA, a handful of league and ressies games, but now he's not even being listed as a late pick in the phantom drafts.

Would he be worth a punt with one of our late picks? Plays a bit like D-Mac (though I haven't seen him get knocked over by a football).

I've heard his kicking is the issue there and very lightly framed??

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This draft is all over the place in terms of predictions

Probably has something to do with clubs learning how to control their information and the media are punting on what they will do

Loose lips sink ships

Clubs are becoming more professional with employing people who don't divulge plans and secrets to anyone

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
This draft is all over the place in terms of predictions
It's all now follow the leader ....every Phantom last week and week b4 had McCluggage at #1 .....now all of a sudden everyone has independently come to the conclusion that McGrath is #1 :rolleyes:

The supporter Phantoms from here on are simply not their thought but a combination of what others are doing .....and which club has met which player of late

The only Phantoms worthwhile now are Twomey, Emma Quayle, and Brett Anderson, a couple of days out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's all now follow the leader ....every Phantom last week and week b4 had McCluggage at #1 .....now all of a sudden everyone has independently come to the conclusion that McGrath is #1 :rolleyes:

The supporter Phantoms from here on are simply not their thought but a combination of what others are doing .....and which club has met which player of late

The only Phantoms worthwhile now are Twomey, Emma Quayle, and Brett Anderson, a couple of days out
I've never had luggage at 1 , always McGrath . Doesn't mean that will be final result though

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I've never had luggage at 1 , always McGrath . Doesn't mean that will be final result though
You and I were all over McGrath early in the season, long before the Championships and he was being spoken of as even a certain top ten pickm I remember vividly one of his scintillating games early days and mentioning it on here.

I'd still take Hughey before him personally because of the damage he is capable of doing on the scoreboard, mids that can do that are so rare but both are potential guns.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You and I were all over McGrath early in the season, long before the Championships and he was being spoken of as even a certain top ten pickm I remember vividly one of his scintillating games early days and mentioning it on here.

I'd still take Hughey before him personally because of the damage he is capable of doing on the scoreboard, mids that can do that are so rare but both are potential guns.
I'm really looking forward to McGrath on Betts match up !!! Could possibly even happen round 1 , would be amazing. The kid will be hard to play on from day dot

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I've heard his kicking is the issue there and very lightly framed??
Kicking isn't the issue. He is a great kick and has a rare combination of speed and endurance.
The issues are two fold - he is both short and skinny. Not a great combination. His size is a real concern in that he is far too light to play AFL.
The second issue is himself. He went on the AFL academy trip to the US at the start of the year and did not endear himself to his peers or the coaches and recruiters. Basically came across as a complete tool. Very up himself and there are many who are happy to see him fall off the radar as a consequence.
It's a shame because he has something. Might get lucky and be a late/rookie pick which will be a huge shock for a guy that 12 months ago looked like a possible top 10 pick.
If he can get his head out of his backside he just might be a chance. I'm guessing rookie at best, but most likely will need to show he can both put muscle on and can play against bigger bodies at SANFL level in 2017.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kicking isn't the issue. He is a great kick and has a rare combination of speed and endurance.
The issues are two fold - he is both short and skinny. Not a great combination. His size is a real concern in that he is far too light to play AFL.
The second issue is himself. He went on the AFL academy trip to the US at the start of the year and did not endear himself to his peers or the coaches and recruiters. Basically came across as a complete tool. Very up himself and there are many who are happy to see him fall off the radar as a consequence.
It's a shame because he has something. Might get lucky and be a late/rookie pick which will be a huge shock for a guy that 12 months ago looked like a possible top 10 pick.
If he can get his head out of his backside he just might be a chance. I'm guessing rookie at best, but most likely will need to show he can both put muscle on and can play against bigger bodies at SANFL level in 2017.
Struggles to kick it 40m and rarely gets it spinning correctly

his endurance is good but he's not quick

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strange how Toby Pink hasn't had more love in this year's draft given the lack of Talls available, certainly be worth a shot late or Rookie Draft at 196cm 90kg, very capable up forward and can pinch hit in Ruck. Even after kicking the famous point to win the Grand Final has flown right under the radar.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Struggles to kick it 40m and rarely gets it spinning correctly

his endurance is good but he's not quick
Going to have to completely disagree with you there.

I've watched him since he was in Yr 9. He is definitely quick. He is also probably the fastest 200/400 m runner in the whole draft. He might not be a jet over 10 m but he is an amazing runner. I've also seen him kick goals from 50m out on the run pretty easily.
His kick can be a little pokey at times, but he is generally good.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I've watched him since he was in Yr 9. He is definitely quick. He is also probably the fastest 200/400 m runner in the whole draft. He might not be a jet over 10 m but he is an amazing runner. I've also seen him kick goals from 50m out on the run pretty easily.
Agree his running over distance is magnificent and can see he'd be a gun over 200/400m

But his kicking has been deplorable when I've watched him

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Why hasn't Toby Pink had more love, I've not seen much of him but looks to have draftable attributes.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Agree his running over distance is magnificent and can see he'd be a gun over 200/400m

But his kicking has been deplorable when I've watched him

Interesting. I wonder if he has dropped in confidence over the course of the season and that impacted his kicking?
He used to be a really confident player who would take anyone on (in a Milera/Cameron mould), but that confidence turned in to arrogance and this is what I heard has really impact on his drafting.

I'm guessing he was told this, it knocked his overall confidence and this flowed on to his football. Interesting one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back