Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
If we could get Stengle and McLarty plus three good mids, I'll be the happiest Crows supporter of all :D
Im expecting to see McClarty drafted in the main draft, maybe as high as the late second round based on what his Dad was saying about the levels of interest he has received. Will hopefully be a manageable thing somehow... Just need it to fall our way

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Im expecting to see McClarty drafted in the main draft, maybe as high as the late second round based on what his Dad was saying about the levels of interest he has received. Will hopefully be a manageable thing somehow... Just need it to fall our way
Would be very happy with getting McLarty at 53 or later (not at 13 obviously, and I feel Lipinski is close to a certainty at 43). Not surprised he's received a lot of interest for earlier picks though, quite the underrated prospect by the wider media.

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Would be very happy with getting McLarty at 53 or later (not at 13 obviously, and I feel Lipinski is close to a certainty at 43). Not surprised he's received a lot of interest for earlier picks though, quite the underrated prospect by the wider media.
Poor early form probably related to his shoulder and pretty much a no show for the rest... Shame he couldnt be kept under wraps

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Just got back from the Ballarat Rebels vs the Northern Knights game today.....Our No.1 Recruiter Hamish Ogilvie was there, had a quick chat to him, bugger doesn't give much away, asked him if we were were looking for another midfielder, answer as " We're just looking for good players", asked him if Thommo was going on next year as to me looks to be slowing down a bit, said he wasn't sure yet but did say he's been pretty good this year in his opinion, he did say with a smile he reckons Thommo will likely want to.

Rebels 18.11 119 defeated Knights 10.9 69
The standout players today for the Rebels were mainly the usual suspects midfielders Hugh McCluggage 4 goals, Jarrod Berry 3 goals and Willem Drew, great game from indigenous small forward Jarmaine Jones 5 goals and an absolute hard nut and tackling machine, first time I've seen Cedric Cox, exceptional kick on both feet, rarely missed a target, runs hard, great agility and pace [he's a serious talent], Lloyd Meek the Ruckman was good around the ground, good overhead and hit the scoreboard. Jarrod Berry now he's got his fitness back again played midfield today and was outstanding kicking 3 long running goals and using his brute strength in close to advantage, and I might add contested several ball ups and won them too. Only problem if he stays fit and keeps playing like this I doubt he'll still be there at our pick. McCluggage just keeps doing what he does at an extremely high level, he's an absolute gun. Willem Drew also moved well, good overhead and runs hard to link up, very good prospect.

For the Knights very taken with an inside/outside mid Matthew Signorello, hard at it with a good turn of foot, long kick, very good overhead and runs hard from stoppages to link up, very, very dratable IMO, Luke Bunker was OK too, big strong body but not overly quick, Lipinski did a few nice things but very raw, Murphy also showed some class at times. The Knights ruckman Roberts did a few nice things also.

On what I saw today obviously McCluggage will be long gone before our 1st pick but I'd be very comfortable using it on Jarrod Berry, he's the modern prototype tall mid that can play any position on the field well if required. Cedric Cox is such a sweet mover and exceptionally skilled, expect him to fly up the draft boards, could even go 1st round if he plays more games like today. Willem Drew also not out of the question but most likely a early to late 2nd round pick I feel. Hadn't heard a lot about Matthew Signorello up to now but this kid can really play and looks extremely draftable to my eye, could be a real smokey. Jarmaine Jones I definitely think is draftable also in the later rounds or rookie draft, love his competitiveness and hardness.
Bump!

LiamPickering

All Australian
Sep 24, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My bad I was thinking 43...

There is a gem to be had late IMO, Matthew Signorello, very pacey, elite overhead for his size, has both an inside and outside game, very hard at it, booming kick if a bit inconsistent at hitting up targets, decent tank and absolutely runs both ways. Of all the unheralded players I saw this year he's the one I really like...another unheralded player that caught my eye was ranga Mason Blakey who I've not even heard mentioned, hard as a cat's head.

Like it Bicks!!

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Have you got the full combine testing results for our new draftees?
Signorello didn't test [Shoulder], Himmelberg didn't test [Foot/Leg], Don't think Davis tested either due to injury, Jeffcrowe would know there, only the top ten are released to the public in each discipline, Galluci tested extremely well in all the athletic disciplines.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Signorello didn't test [Shoulder], Himmelberg didn't test [Foot/Leg], Don't think Davis tested either due to injury, Jeffcrowe would know there, only the top ten are released to the public in each discipline, Galluci tested extremely well in all the athletic disciplines.
Davis didn't test - had an injury end of year but got up for draft all stars game . If anyone wants to see any vision of him that game is on YouTube

He'd test well in skill testing like clean hands and kicking . Not so good in running tests like sprint and 3k . But his agility testing would be above average and his vertical leap as well

Needs a lot of work on his running , but there is upside here if he has been playing with sub standard fitness

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sorry Bicks ...are you referring to the "fat" guy in the championships that couldn't bend over ?
There are a lot of ruck options, that'll be overlooked in the draft and available as a Rookie, and a seriously good tall draft with ruckmen next year ........if i'm a betting man i don't think he is AFL material, maybe a reasonable VFL ruckman ...maybe?
National Draft Pick 38 Sean Darcy - Fremantle..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Just heard Anderson and he agreed

He is a good technical ruckman WW , just needs to lose weight and get fit
Is that all .....did he think of perhaps doing that in readiness for his draft year ? ......Chris Yarren thought it easy too, and it's all in the mind with an actual desire ......so why not b4 :rolleyes:

And sorry, i don't consider Brett Anderson the be all as far as drafting / trading ......if you believe him, then we really stuffed the draft ........so do you take what you want to hear, and ignore what you don't like??

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is that all .....did he think of perhaps doing that in readiness for his draft year ? ......Chris Yarren thought it easy too, and it's all in the mind with an actual desire ......so why not b4 :rolleyes:

And sorry, i don't consider Brett Anderson the be all as far as drafting / trading ......if you believe him, then we really stuffed the draft ........so do you take what you want to hear, and ignore what you don't like??
Yep sometimes !!

He's no monty to make it but Freo like him and he's got some talent so fair play

How did crows go at draft ? I'd say around 7/10 so better than Anderson is saying , solid but not amazing . Galluci is a need but won't be in same class as Lever , Milera or Smith as 1st round picks . He will be a solid player in an area of need so solid pick

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep sometimes !!

He's no monty to make it but Freo like him and he's got some talent so fair play

How did crows go at draft ? I'd say around 7/10 so better than Anderson is saying , solid but not amazing . Galluci is a need but won't be in same class as Lever , Milera or Smith as 1st round picks . He will be a solid player in an area of need so solid pick
With a point of difference, not many Ruckmen around whose preferred tap is with the Left Arm.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm bored, so I've already been researching a bit about the 2017 draft class :p hoping we can get CCJ with a first, then Edwards with a later pick. Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Joel Garner would have to be my favourites at the moment, though.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I'm bored, so I've already been researching a bit about the 2017 draft class :p hoping we can get CCJ with a first, then Edwards with a later pick. Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Joel Garner would have to be my favourites at the moment, though.
1st ruck?

:D

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If you didn't include Ethan Penrith your research was nowhere near comprehensive enough, I already gave you the heads up during the season, indigenous lad 180cm 74Kg, elite speed and endurance, agile, excellent foot skills, immense run and carry and not frightened to hit the contest hard either. Plays off half back/wing but a certainty to be a mid/forward as he progresses. Saw quite a few of the better Victorian under agers during the year and he was the standout. Couple of Rebels lads I expect to have big years Aiden Domic [Wingman] and Jordan Johnston [Medium Forward]
From SA Darcy Fogarty is my No.1 prospect, another mid/forward around the 190cm, B.O.G. in the U17 All Stars game.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If you didn't include Ethan Penrith your research was nowhere near comprehensive enough, I already gave you the heads up during the season, indigenous lad 180cm 74Kg, elite speed and endurance, agile, excellent foot skills, immense run and carry and not frightened to hit the contest hard either. Plays off half back/wing but a certainty to be a mid/forward as he progresses. Saw quite a few of the better Victorian under agers during the year and he was the standout. Couple of Rebels lads I expect to have big years Aiden Domic [Wingman] and Jordan Johnston [Medium Forward]
From SA Darcy Fogarty is my No.1 prospect, another mid/forward around the 190cm, B.O.G. in the U17 All Stars game.
Penrith's another one that I like, although I just love the all-round games that Clark and LDU bring. If Fogarty continues his trajectory from this year he'll go top five at the least, I see a very, very dangerous mid/forward there. Can't comment on Domic and Johnston.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Was hoping like hell we might have rookied Jamaine Jones, love the way this kid plays, so pleased the Cats gave him a crack, wonderful story to see what he's been through and the persistence it must have taken to make something of himself.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=3f8c2e77bd522448863ff5064272ddd8-1480735546
Geelong rookie Jamaine Jones finds somewhere to belong after a football journey full of twists and turns
SCOTT GULLAN, Herald Sun
December 3, 2016 10:00am
Subscriber only
IT wasn’t quite a trance, but Jamaine Jones’ gaze was fixed on the empty stands around Simonds Stadium.

“It’s just unreal,” he said several times as he slowly turned to take in his new home.

Around him, the other Geelong recruits expressed similar delight about being handed an AFL lifeline.

And while they all have a story to tell, none will rival Jones’s journey.

“I have been everywhere,” he said with a smile.

Born in Broken Hill, Jones, 18, was put up for adoption and ended up in a group home in Mildura, where he spent years waiting for someone to take him in.

“I was pretty much the only one there — kids would come in and out but I was mainly by myself,” he explained.

“Just not having anyone there and the adults looking after you wasn’t the best. Different people would come in, but you couldn’t really have a strong relationship with anyone.

“It was lonely ... not having anyone, not having that love, I guess, sort of hurt me.”

a7e54b87c4858ed55368c3cd044392dc

Jamaine Jones plays for Heywood in last year’s South West District league grand final. Picture: Yuri Kouzmin
Jones knew he had brothers and sisters but didn’t know where they were.

That changed when he was 10. He was told a woman who had looked after his older brother wanted to meet him. Her name is Sue Lovett.

She lived in Geelong with four kids of her own and Jones couldn’t believe his luck as he was welcomed into a proper family home, an environment in which he thrived.

“I just went into an awesome, supportive family. It was unreal,” he said.

They moved to Heywood in southwest Victoria for year 9 because Jones had been diagnosed with ADHD and Lovett thought a smaller school would help him.

“Sue is awesome — she is sort of like my mum and dad,” Jones said.

“I’ve met my dad a few times but he hasn’t had much to do with me. And with my original mum there was seven of us, including me.

“I have an older brother. He’s an unreal footballer, but he threw it away.

“I was the first one to graduate in my family. I was even the first one to go to high school.

“And even in my adopted family I’m the first person to pass year 12.”

410bed42cc49e0ab6dd6c2999202f788

Geelong rookie Jamaine Jones’ journey has led him to Simonds Stadium. Picture: Nathan Dyer
Recently Jones found out he had three sisters living in Winchelsea, only half an hour from Geelong.

His football journey has also been one with lots of twists and turns.

He played his first game in Geelong for the Belmont Lions at age 11 and was “shocking”.

At Heywood he played in a senior premiership at 16, then joined North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup, but it was his appearance in an interleague game in May this year that triggered his selection in Monday’s rookie draft.

Jones had played one game for Portland in the Hampden league, but that was enough to get the skilful goalsneak into the interleague squad for a game against Ovens and Murray.

He was named as an emergency and it was only because of a late withdrawal that he played.

Geelong recruiting manager Stephen Wells was in the crowd at Warrnambool’s Reid Oval to scout another player, Cedric Cox (eventually taken by Brisbane Lions at No.24 in the national draft).

But it was Jones who starred. He kicked three goals and was named best on ground, setting in train a series of events that saw him taken by the Cats with pick 48.

Jones models his game on Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli — he is a speedy left-footer with a thirst for tackling.

While his head is still spinning over the events of the past week, Jones smiled again when asked to sum up his remarkable life story.

“I just wanted to make something out of myself,” he said.

“I guess that drive came from not having anyone. I was always by myself, just pushing myself, I guess.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back