Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Links to the AFL Draft Central Site don't work on BF, so here's their write up from the final Round...

Weekend That Was - Round 17

BLOWOUTS, close finishes and wet weather featured in round 17 of the TAC Cup.

In the first game of the round, Calder Cannons held on to defeat a fast finishing Western Jets side.

After trailing at three-quarter time, the Jets levelled the scores twice but Jean-Luc Velissaris‘ last minute goal secured the Cannons’ spot in seventh place.

Ben Ronke was the Cannons’ best, collecting 31 disposals and seven tackles, dominating the clearances for the home side. Tyson Lever also found the footy, with 33 disposals to his name.

For the Jets, bottom-age AFL Academy member Lachlan Fogarty had a whopping 16 tackles to go with his 33 disposals. The Jets laid 96 tackles with Brodie Romensky (12 tackles) also hitting double figures, but it wasn’t enough to get the Jets over the line.

Forward Cameron Rayner backed up his bag of seven from the week before with five goals.

Up in Ballarat, the cold weather suited the home side with North Ballarat Rebels accounting for the Eastern Ranges by 22-points.

Hugh McCluggage continued his sublime form with 29 disposals and two goals, while Willem Drew was a standout in the contested situations with 30 disposals, seven marks and nine tackles for the afternoon.

Dylan Clarke once again found the football for the Ranges with 33 disposals and nine tackles, but his kicking let him down once again going at less than 50%.

At Deakin Reserve, Oakleigh Chargers pulled off a surprise upset over the highly rated Murray Bushrangers.

The Chargers led at all the main breaks to take the four points, winning by 14-points. Jack Higgins continued his good ball winning capabilities with 31 disposals, but it was Louis Cunningham (24 disposals) who shone across half back and was Oakleigh’s best.

Patrick Kerr made his return from a finger injury, but was well held by Ryan Garthwaite who kept him to a single goal.

Will Brodie had 20 disposals but attracted close attention from his opponents at the stoppages. Harry Morrison has shown some good signs since returning from a back injury and finished the afternoon with 17 disposals.

Out at Preston, Gippsland Power were far too strong for Northern Knights winning by 47-points.

Ben Ainsworth showed he is more than just a small forward, collecting 26 disposals and booting three goals. Ainsworth spent most of the first quarter in the middle, before playing the rest of the game forward pinch hitting through the middle.

Nathan Voss was also lively inside 50, finishing with three goals.

For the Knights, Lachlan Murphy racked up 28 disposals spending most of the contest on the inside. Patrick Lipinski was quiet, but still managed to accumulate 23 disposals but it was Lachlan Wilson who finished as the leading ball winner with 35 disposals and six marks.

Sandringham Dragons went into their clash with Bendigo Pioneers, knowing that a victory by about 25 goals was going to be enough to snatch fourth spot off the Bushies.

At half-time, all signs pointed to that result with Dragons leading 87 to six. However, Bendigo hit back in the third term winning the quarter by a point.

The last quarter showed that Sandy can’t become complacent with many players running forward of the ball in an attempt to score with some moments of play that screamed out players being selfish. In the end, the Dragons won by 96-points but not enough to avoid an elimination final.

Andrew McGrath was the standout for Sandringham with 40 disposals and nine clearances, with Tim Taranto also prominent with 33 disposals, nine marks and eight tackles. Will Setterfield played his best game of the season finishing the afternoon with 29 disposals in an effort that would’ve pleased the GWS recruiters who were watching on.

Jack Scrimshaw had 21 disposals, but his ball use at times was poor with multiple clangers affecting his overall kicking efficiency. Hamish Brayshaw spent most of the game up forward, kicking 4.4.

The young Pioneers side didn’t have too many positives, but bottom-ager Lochie O’Brien was their standout with 24 disposals. Laine Fitzgerald (26 disposals and 10 marks) and Darby Henderson (27 disposals) showed the future is bring for the Pioneers.

The final match of the round at Simonds Stadium had everything to play for, with the winner being proclaimed as the TAC Cup minor premiers.

In a match that seesawed for most of the day, Dandenong Stingrays ran out winners by 14-points over Geelong Falcons.

Mason De Wit used his left boot well finishing the afternoon with 22 disposals, while Myles Poholke backed up his good game against Murray with 21 disposals and six marks.

Paddy Dowling (28 disposals), Mitch Diamond (25 disposals) and Sam Simpson (23 disposals) worked hard through the midfield for the Falcons but they were unable to hang on with the Stingrays booting the last three goals of the contest.

Bump

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-01-18/brander-on-the-border
Brander on the border
Callum Twomey, AFL Media January 18, 2017 2:00 PM
Talented key position prospect Jarrod Brander is open-minded about his unique draft situation as the AFL weighs up his eligibility in Greater Western Sydney's academy.

Brander is viewed as one of the top players in this year's draft pool, but the League has been considering his status as a member of the Giants' zone for several months due to geography queries.

The 17-year-old tall forward/defender's family owns a farm in Wentworth, a small town in New South Wales close to the South Australian border. That falls within the Giants' zone, but the family also has a property in Mildura, outside of their catchment.

The AFL was expected to make a call by the end of last season but is yet to inform the Giants about whether Brander will be tied to the club or be available in the open draft.

The Bendigo Pioneers product starts his draft season unsure of where the decision-making process is placed, but says he is comfortable whichever way the AFL rules.

"I've had no indication on which way they're going to go. I thought they were going to make a decision a long time ago but it's drawn out a bit, so we'll see how it goes," Brander told AFL Media at the NAB AFL Academy's training camp in Florida.

"It's different. It would probably be a worse situation if I was more involved in the academy and I wasn't down at school, but I'm not too worried about it. I have no preference either way really, whether I am able to go to the Giants and they want me, or if I'm not."

Draft class of 2017 shaping up nicely. Lots of impressive talls, smart and classy mids and exciting flankers.

Brander has been a part of the Giants academy since he was 12, but has had limited dealings with the program after moving to board at Geelong Grammar in 2015. He played one game for the Giants in the NEAFL last season.

Last year the Giants lost access to academy prospect Todd Marshall, who was deemed ineligible for the club due to a "registration" issue.

The Giants will be desperate for the same situation to not occur with Brander who, at 195cm and 89kg, has already shown himself to be one of the most highly rated players in the 2017 crop.

Brander gave away a promising cricket career – he used to bowl at nearly 130 km per hour – to focus on his football and can play at both ends of the ground.

"I played basically all of my juniors as a forward and really enjoyed that, but later last year I played at centre-half back and that was good as well," he said. "I think it's much easier to read the play back there."

Brander is one of an impressive group of taller types available in this year's draft after midfielders and smaller prospects dominated the top end of the 2016 intake.

The NAB AFL Academy squad, which is training at the world-class facilities of the IMG Academy in America this week, features 14 players standing more than 190cm.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ducking AFL make a decision you useless twats.

And I thought their zones were being reigned in?

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We can keep the NSW, Q academies and the AFL can pay for them. But the priority access needs to be completely abolished. All clubs should have equal access to all players in tge draft. This Brander kid is a prime example of why its a complete rort. If this means father-son has to go as well then so be it. 99% of sons would benefit playing for another club without added pressure anyway. They will find a way home if they are good enough.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Just got back from watching the Ballarat Rebels vs the Calder Cannons game this arvo, played in cold, windy, showery conditions...Two players I particularly wanted to see Jarrod Berry & Willem Drew were sitting in the stand near me so obviously didn't play. Hugh McCluggage didn't have one of his better games but is just a class above, rarely missed a target and always seem to have time.
Tyson Lever kicked a nice goal from outside 50, talks a lot on field like his brother, but didn't find a lot of it, Zac Guthrie, Cam's brother played very well for the CC and though lightly built looks draftable for sure, North Melbourne recruiters near me seemed to be watching KPF Karl Brown in particular but he didn't do a lot.

And how impressive was Zac Guthrie tonight on debut for Geelong, reckon the Cats have a steal here picking him up so cheaply in the rookie draft.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Just got back from watching the Ballarat Rebels vs the Calder Cannons game this arvo, played in cold, windy, showery conditions...Two players I particularly wanted to see Jarrod Berry & Willem Drew were sitting in the stand near me so obviously didn't play. Hugh McCluggage didn't have one of his better games but is just a class above, rarely missed a target and always seem to have time,

Tyson Lever kicked a nice goal from outside 50, talks a lot on field like his brother, but didn't find a lot of it, Zac Guthrie, Cam's brother played very well for the CC and though lightly built looks draftable for sure, North Melbourne recruiters near me seemed to be watching KPF Karl Brown in particular but he didn't do a lot.

Pdub

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
To those that reckoned Jarrod Berry was only a half back flanker during the run up to the Draft though they'd never seen him play live if at all....they know who they are! ;)

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-07-09/two-positives

Two positives for Fagan

After his team's biggest loss of the season, Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan found two positives.
One was Dayne Zorko, whose 36 disposals, four goals, 12 tackles and 10 clearances was about as good a showing as you'll ever see in an 85-point defeat.
The other came from a 19-year-old playing just his 13th game.
So highly does Fagan rate Jarrod Berry, he assigned the first-year midfielder the task of running with Geelong skipper Joel Selwood for the night.
Yep, Joel Selwood, the 242-game, triple premiership Cat that Fagan described as the toughest player he'd ever seen just 36 hours earlier.
It's not the first time Berry's been given a run-with role, having also followed the likes of Port Adelaide's Brad Ebert earlier in the season.
Against Selwood, he acquitted himself superbly, collecting 18 disposals of his own, while keeping the opposing captain to 24 (including six free kicks).
"We wanted to stop Joel, he's a great player and when he plays well they play well, so that was the first reason," Fagan said.
"Secondly, we chose Jarrod for his education.
"Joel Selwood's a great leader as well as a great footballer, so we thought Jarrod could learn a fair bit by playing on him and it was a really honest performance by him.
"That was a great effort by a young fella."

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He'd be pretty handy Friday week

Wonder if Galluci will play soon
I don't often question selection like some revel in on BF but seriously we should be getting some games into Gallucci post haste and I'd give Poholke a taster before the finals come around too. Physically and tank wise Gallucci was ready last year, let alone after an AFL pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't often question selection like some revel in on BF but seriously we should be getting some games into Gallucci post haste and I'd give Poholke a taster before the finals come around too. Physically and tank wise Gallucci was ready last year, let alone after an AFL pre-season.
My theory is if we are not going to develop our 1st rounders quick smart to develop them and improve the side we may as well
have traded 2 1st rounders for Gibbs

Right now we are sitting on the fence and I don't like it , I could live with the other 2 options either way

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I am hoping Hamish Ogilvie is getting plenty of extra support considering his recent tragic loss. It would have to make his job harder to do having to deal with losing a loved one and the job being what seems to be a difficult one to get right.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Exaggeration nothing slight about it..

If you care to go back in this thread you will see early in the year I raved about Andrew McGrath the 1st time I saw him, long before he was anointed by the "experts", kid's a jet same with Ben Ronke who I commented on after seeing him play here in Ballarat earlier in the year, another with serious wheels and a big, strong physique that will probably go later in the draft but one I feel certain has all the attributes for AFL.........will be ready from day one, mark my words he will be a player.
Bump...:)

Ronke with 5 goals in the 1st half tonight against the Hawks, how this kid slipped to the rookie draft I'll never work out.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We passed on picks.
We weren't the only ones...but seriously this kid should have gone in the main draft at least around the mid draft mark on what he showed every time I saw him play, as I commented at the time he has Dangerfield like explosiveness and strength..The only thing he needed to improve slightly was his kicking under pressure....something Dangerfield's still working on.;)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We weren't the only ones...but seriously this kid should have gone in the main draft at least around the mid draft mark on what he showed every time I saw him play, as I commented at the time he has Dangerfield like explosiveness and strength..The only thing he needed to improve slightly was his kicking under pressure....something Dangerfield's still working on.;)
I don’t care if we were not the only ones. I care that we passed on an opportunity to pick up some talented players and chose to keep Thommo instead.

I was pretty vocal about it at the time and kept hearing “there was no talent” and yet 2 weeks in a row we’d most probably have Rising Star winners.

I wonder who will come from the 2017 crop?

I think I should go run the club.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don’t care if we were not the only ones. I care that we passed on an opportunity to pick up some talented players and chose to keep Thommo instead.

I was pretty vocal about it at the time and kept hearing “there was no talent” and yet 2 weeks in a row we’d most probably have Rising Star winners.

And wait till Ronke gets a crack in the midfield...he's much more than a small forward believe me.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

The Hawks Harry Morrison looking pretty good out there too, went at pick #74 in the 2016 draft...:):fire:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back