Opinion 2016 DRAFT POLL - #5

Who do you want at pick #5

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
brodie or taranto seem the choice. ainsworth seems to slip but does everything right and could easily be picked between 1 & 10.

scrimshaw to me is the one with the most upside. has all the tools and is a tall modern day player with a lethal left foot. needs to fill out. he would be my choice. to see him run on the outside of cripps would be awesome

i doubt anyone would agree but i reckon he's the best potential afl player in the draft
I agree. I was very impressed with Scrimshaw and if he is available I would take him. Brodie has also impressed me.

Amazing that out of almost 100 selections, we have only one lonely vote for Petrevski-Seton.

Has the skills but questions on consistency and inside mid qualities for mine. Also he's a WA boy. Makes a difference.

I'm a little surprised. Actually a lot. No one wants Ainsworth out of that list?

I think he's a superstar in the making. He has what translates: power. He's incredibly explosive. Speed and leap. He's a seriously good footballer. I think he's shown he will kick an awful lot of goals, set up a lot too. I'll be stunned if he's there at 5, and flabbergasted if he is and we don't pick him.

He's simply a better player than the others. I don't think it will even be close in time.

I think other than the top 2 he's the only genuine potential A grader and All Australian. We don't exactly have a bevy of those.

I recommend everyone have another look.

I think Knightmare has consistently marked him down but I think he's wrong. Maybe his opinion has biased some on here.

Kids like Ainsworth are incredibly rare.

I'm torn between Taranto & Brodie, right now.

I see Brodie being a ready-to-go midfielder that will be very good for a long time.
Then I see Taranto who may be the cream on a very nice cake, but may take longer to develop.

Agree, I went Brodie though, I reckon Cripps needs more support inside, before we start adding cream like Taranto.

If both are available, I'll be interested to see which way we go!

I'm a little surprised. Actually a lot. No one wants Ainsworth out of that list?

I think he's a superstar in the making. He has what translates: power. He's incredibly explosive. Speed and leap. He's a seriously good footballer. I think he's shown he will kick an awful lot of goals, set up a lot too. I'll be stunned if he's there at 5, and flabbergasted if he is and we don't pick him.

He's simply a better player than the others. I don't think it will even be close in time.

I think other than the top 2 he's the only genuine potential A grader and All Australian. We don't exactly have a bevy of those.

I think Knightmare has consistently marked him down but I think he's wrong. Maybe his opinion has biased some on here.

A multiple choice poll may produce a different result.

Everyone has their personal wish list and then a player ranking.

A couple of months back I was all Venables with a splash of Ainsworth.

Venables is now a reach at 5 with his relative lack of exposure this year. Have to play it safe.

I just keep thinking midfielders first, flankers later. We have been burned by going for talent and x factor before we had a team to support it.

That's why Brisbane may be so keen on him and apparently intend taking him.

I'd still sooner one of the other two. It's all quite subjective at the end of the day.

I mentioned in the other draft thread how much I liked Scrimshaw.

All class, could be anything.

I'd take him at 5 without any qualms whatsoever, problem is we need immediate midfield impact, considering the state we're in and I'd imagine it'd be a while before he moves into the midfield.

Golden rule of recruiting, don't draft players with poncy hairstyles.

Will Brodie has the Ty Vickery bootlace sweatband :
willbrodie620.jpg

Sam Petrevski-Seton has the Hari-Krishna rat-tail plait :
petrevski-seton620.jpg

He looks great, however not sure he would suit what Carlton desperately need. He need good midfields kicking it to him. We don't have that yet.

He is also really big bodied (build not height) which generally translates to dominating juniors.

Having said all that, I won't be disappointed if we get him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agency yes I agree. Traded a few no doubt.

But delisted? None.

Your probably right although players like Watson, Lucas and Bootsma all showed something before falling off the wagon

Lucas in particular IMO. Before his hammy injuries look a real player

Menzal was a tragedy also. Kid could play when he wanted too

Edit: Giles almost forgot him

Amazing that out of almost 100 selections, we have only one lonely vote for Petrevski-Seton.
Sam Petreski Seton is my choice, has been for a long time, very good intelligent on baller just oozes finess, beautiful kick on both feet and creative too.
This kid is magic , in fight the things he can do few are able to do will turn games in a quarter of footy.
If we let him slip we'll be pissed off in a season or two.
The other with a high ceiling is Scrimshaw, plenty to like about this lad too.

If Bolton has anything to do with it I'll be shocked if SPS is there and we don't pick him.

I love indigenous players and if he does things that most can't then I want him to!!!

On one hand, I felt we struggled with outside run, skill and carry last season, and we have a real desperate need for this. On the other hand, Cripps needs some help under those packs and having 2 contested beats like Cripps and Brodie will be nightmare for other teams.

McCluggage and McGrath gone at 1 & 2. Only thing I can definitely say is if Brodie is there at pick #5, we must take him.

Just from highlights and other comments/articles - haven't watched a full game live or on TV (I'm a mug)

-McLuggage and McGrath gone

1. Ainsworth - Speed, leap, runs through the ball when marking. Looks like a boomer that can jump. Reckon he is one of those mis matches up forward that can beat the defender either on the ground or in the air depending the defenders dimensions and agility, a bit like when dusty is one out in the goal square. Start his career up forward, play prime in the middle, then finish up forward ala boomer.

2. Brodie - Speed can be overrated when you have size and power (Cripps and Bont). Would be a great partnership with Cripps as mentioned and like marchbank shoring up our defence for a decade with wiets and plow, he would shore up out inside midfield long term. Safe pick with a floor of a B grader and ceiling of a B+. Gibbs would love this selection as he could play 100% outside and maintain a neat man bun. Future mids selected would be all about speed if we took Brodie.

3. Scrimshaw - Huge upside if he can make it as a midfielder, but if we only see him as a defender then we are already covered with 2 taller rebounding players in wiets and marchank and Doc and Bryne as smaller rebounding players. If SOS thinks he's Bont 2.0 take him first, if we think he's Birchell 2.0 then pass

4. Taranto - slight, silky, skilful...not for us yet. We could be on the receiving end of some big losses and I reckon these delicate outside finishers are the last piece of the puzzle, not the building blocks.

5. SPS - looks mercurial, but I'm weary of go home factor nowadays and would rather a Victorian if the talent is similar. Plus we got Pickett who can hopefully provide some of the X factor that we'd get from SPS

Last edited:
I think Taranto disproved those perceived weaknesses by the end of year, particularly re: work rate and two way running.
What happens when the guys running 12-13 beep tests catch up in a professional program? Maybe they won't tire as much in the second half of the season.

Still doesn't run both ways.

I mentioned in the other draft thread how much I liked Scrimshaw.

All class, could be anything.

I'd take him at 5 without any qualms whatsoever, problem is we need immediate midfield impact, considering the state we're in and I'd imagine it'd be a while before he moves into the midfield.
We can grab a DFA for immediate impact on the inside, and he can contribute off HB/wing/HF on the outside while pinch hitting at clearances.

I want a player that can get the ball on the inside and has the pace and skill on the outside. Who do I want?
Scrimshaw, McCluggage or McGrath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back