List Mgmt. 2016 Draft Prospects(Poll Added)

Which player do you want at our first & second pick?

• Daniel Venables

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • Will Hayward

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Sam Powell-Pepper

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Zach Sproule

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Harrison Macreadie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Jarrod Berry

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Jordan Galluci

• Oliver Florent

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

• Luke Ryan

• Josh Battle

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Willem Drew

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Jack Maibum

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Joe Atley

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tim English

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Josh Rotham

• Patrick Kerr

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Alex Witherden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brennan Cox

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox is the main one. Logue too but unlikely he's there for us to select by the sounds of it. Macreadie. Rotham would play as a pseudo-KPD in our system from what I've seen as well.

I more like us taking either a mature tall as a rookie or Bult from the Jets because he has some really good athleticism for a 198cm player. Bar Cox, Maibaum and Garthwaite I think there are better options around this national draft.

Though I'd like us to snap up at least one tall.

Harrison Bult could be one we can take to develop on a rookie list.

Does anyone think Hayward might be too one dimensional to take as early as 18? I've read he's not got much scope to move into the midfield, and we know Bev values flexibility.

Not really. I think he could easily be taught to play up on a wing. Just depends if the club wants to keep his firepower in the forward line or not if we did draft him.

Kind of concerned about what Port is going to do though. Could see them taking him.

Not really. I think he could easily be taught to play up on a wing. Just depends if the club wants to keep his firepower in the forward line or not if we did draft him.

Kind of concerned about what Port is going to do though. Could see them taking him.
Venables too apparently they are really keen on. Could see both being available before their first and neither by the time we get to pick.

Venables too apparently they are really keen on. Could see both being available before their first and neither by the time we get to pick.

Josh Begley is one I'm hoping to be available for us at 50. Think he'll become a big bodied inside mid that can also be isolated inside 50 and kick 3-4 goals. Needs to trim down a bit but he is well skilled and would suit our playing style.

Josh Begley is one I'm hoping to be available for us at 50. Think he'll become a big bodied inside mid that can also be isolated inside 50 and kick 3-4 goals. Needs to trim down a bit but he is well skilled and would suit our playing style.
Similar to Venables are you saying? Does he have the same burst speed? That's something we could really use I reckon.

What other teams need a KPD?

I'm hoping one of them bids on Macreadie before our first. If GWS pick him up, that's one less club to worry about since they shouldn't go deep in the draft at all & if they pass then you'd expect that club doesn't look to grab another KPD at the draft.

Similar to Venables are you saying? Does he have the same burst speed? That's something we could really use I reckon.

Not really, he is sort of like a forward version of Ollie Wines. He is a bull.

Anyways I can't be bothered at the moment of doing a little write up so here is a little something from Emma Quayle's draft harvester.

Joshua Begley (Eastern Ranges/Upper Ferntree Gully)

Born: 3.7.1998

Height: 187cm

Weight: 93kg

AFL bio: Powerfully built medium forward-midfielder who kicked six goals on debut for the Ranges finishing with 27 goals for the year. Very strong one-on-one player and a penetrating kick he averaged 17 disposals (nine contested) in his 15 matches this season.

"Josh has been a bit of a revelation this year. The improvement he's shown has been enormous, and it's a credit to him. He spent some time here as a 14-year-old on a one-off trial day, but at that age he was bigger than the other kids and tended to rely on his size and bully the other kids a little bit. He was dismissed for that, but we got a phone call about him early in the year and went up for a look. He was playing senior footy at Ferntree Gully and he kicked seven goals the first week and followed that up with another seven, so we pretty much brought him straight in. We thought we might use him to fill a hole and that he might kick a few goals but we soon realised there was a lot more to him than that. He has soft hands, he's strong in the air, he's good on the ground and he has a really nice feel for the game. We sat him down and asked him how serious he was, and he said he really wanted to have a crack at it. So we asked him to look after his diet, do almost a mini pre-season and he just grabbed the opportunity. His skinfolds went from 80 to 57, his body composition has changed dramatically in the time he's been involved and it's helped him play a lot of different roles for us – higher up the ground, deeper one on one and through the midfield, which he pretty much held together through the middle of the year. I think his ceiling is enormous."

Len Villani, Eastern Ranges talent manager

What other teams need a KPD?

I'm hoping one of them bids on Macreadie before our first. If GWS pick him up, that's one less club to worry about since they shouldn't go deep in the draft at all & if they pass then you'd expect that club doesn't look to grab another KPD at the draft.
West Coast, North, Melbourne (don't have any picks to threaten us), Carlton, Pies (again not picks ot threaten)

Not really, he is sort of like a forward version of Ollie Wines. He is a bull.

Anyways I can't be bothered at the moment of doing a little write up so here is a little something from Emma Quayle's draft harvester.

Joshua Begley (Eastern Ranges/Upper Ferntree Gully)

Born: 3.7.1998

Height: 187cm

Weight: 93kg

AFL bio: Powerfully built medium forward-midfielder who kicked six goals on debut for the Ranges finishing with 27 goals for the year. Very strong one-on-one player and a penetrating kick he averaged 17 disposals (nine contested) in his 15 matches this season.

"Josh has been a bit of a revelation this year. The improvement he's shown has been enormous, and it's a credit to him. He spent some time here as a 14-year-old on a one-off trial day, but at that age he was bigger than the other kids and tended to rely on his size and bully the other kids a little bit. He was dismissed for that, but we got a phone call about him early in the year and went up for a look. He was playing senior footy at Ferntree Gully and he kicked seven goals the first week and followed that up with another seven, so we pretty much brought him straight in. We thought we might use him to fill a hole and that he might kick a few goals but we soon realised there was a lot more to him than that. He has soft hands, he's strong in the air, he's good on the ground and he has a really nice feel for the game. We sat him down and asked him how serious he was, and he said he really wanted to have a crack at it. So we asked him to look after his diet, do almost a mini pre-season and he just grabbed the opportunity. His skinfolds went from 80 to 57, his body composition has changed dramatically in the time he's been involved and it's helped him play a lot of different roles for us – higher up the ground, deeper one on one and through the midfield, which he pretty much held together through the middle of the year. I think his ceiling is enormous."

Len Villani, Eastern Ranges talent manager

Link to Quayle's draft harvester?

West Coast, North, Melbourne (don't have any picks to threaten us), Carlton, Pies (again not picks ot threaten)
Think Melbourne might?

Link to Quayle's draft harvester?

Think Melbourne might?
Their KPD stock is, MacDonald Bros, frost and Garland
I suspect them to pick one or two State League Players to quickly fill the void of age in the backline

I don't think Pat Kerr is really our type. He's a good player, and will likely make a decent impact at AFL level, but I struggle to see how he could become a genuine star. He's just a tad vanilla. He's got good all-round attributes but doesn't have the endurance, contested marking ability or scoreboard impact of Battle. I don't see the need to pick up 2 KPFs (Battle and Kerr) if both aren't going to become best 22. A combo of Hayward and Battle would have far more potential to benefit.

At this stage, these are the guys I'd want us looking at:

18 - Hayward, Venables, Battle, Logue, Simpkin, Florent, Gallucci
26 - Drew, Battle, Gallucci, Witherden, Hayward (if available), Sproule
(I really like Duman and Ridley but 26 would be a bit of a stretch to take them, I reckon)
50 - Long, Duman or Ridley (if available), Ronke (if we don't take Drew), Parfitt, Maibaum (if available)
and if we use it, 75 - Lachie Murphy, any mobile ruckman
I do tend to agree with this that we should try and get the best combo.

This also largely depends on who we will be targeting via trade and FA next season and if we are most likely to use our first pick to get it done.

Battle to me seems to be the perfect crameri replacement in a few years, and we don't need to fast track his development.

The other thing is I find it hard that any two clubs would have the same top 30 big board, so this will also mean that players who we might have going top 10 could slip to us, so we would take that player and throw out our plan a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the VFL practice match vs Essendon at WO this year and McLean was behind me,talking with what I can guess was his family, he was talking to them about rotations and the number of minutes bevo expects them to be out there for and how long they will spend on the bench.

I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but what I did hear I found very interesting and followed how we played during this season.

With rotations only going to go down I feel endurance would be high on our wish list for draftees, and if a kid has any question marks on their endurance that might be enough for us to pass on that player.

Lol, we all know that despite your best efforts Dalrymple will pick a kid that no one considered and then after a pre-season spent saying 'WTF' the kid turns out to be a gun.
Maybe with one of his picks, I doubt all of them.

Williams was one of the only ones last year that didn't get a mention on the draft thread.

Pannalstaroz if you seen Dal soon can you ask him if he thinks a player with higher contested ball numbers finds it easier transitioning to AFL level? I'm curious to actually hear his thoughts on it & I think others would to

Pannalstaroz if you seen Dal soon can you ask him if he thinks a player with higher contested ball numbers finds it easier transitioning to AFL level? I'm curious to actually hear his thoughts on it & I think others would to
His number one rule is that players must be able to win their own ball. I'll ask the question though.

Can we figure out who we each get to pick for in the phantom so I can start working out who they need? I'm hoping for Port, they'll be fun to pick for.
I wouldn't mind Port, Brisbane, Essendon or Norf.

Last edited:
Lol, we all know that despite your best efforts Dalrymple will pick a kid that no one considered and then after a pre-season spent saying 'WTF' the kid turns out to be a gun.
Yep. Lukas Webb was hardly mentioned on here and he went for a mid-second rounder.

Back