2016 Draft Sliders

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't Scharenberg a touted top 30 pick at one stage?

He seemed to be rated 2nd-3rd round by most people, is a good player and I would think he finds a home as a rookie somewhere.

This guy was a potential first rounder last year but to slip right off the board suggests something character wise is going on?

He can't kick, same as Clarke. I am sure these guys will end up serviceable AFL players but I don't think many recruiters are going to spend higher picks on guys with such a big deficiency in the modern game where turnovers will kill you. They also become in-versatile players because you can't really play them across half forward or half back, so they are inside mids or bust.

He can't kick, same as Clarke. I am sure these guys will end up serviceable AFL players but I don't think many recruiters are going to spend higher picks on guys with such a big deficiency in the modern game where turnovers will kill you. They also become in-versatile players because you can't really play them across half forward or half back, so they are inside mids or bust.
Clarke came top 10 in the kicking efficiency test at the combine, so he can at least kick it well on a good day and has something to work with.

Clarke came top 10 in the kicking efficiency test at the combine, so he can at least kick it well on a good day and has something to work with.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in combine results for things like kicking, as they don't really translate to a match situation (especially someone like Clarke who will get most of his touches under pressure).

FWIW I think Clarke is a great pick in the 60s and will be a solid AFL player, but I am not surprised he and Scharenberg didn't get taken inside the top 30 or so.

English to the bulldogs was huge.

Not really. I think a lot of clubs have list deficiencies that they needed to address before a Ruckman that will take at least 2/3 years to develop. Really with the list that the dogs have, they were in the best position to take a punt.

Scharenberg the biggest surprise for me, Sproule as well - was anticipating a bid match from GWS after the second round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me a phantom with either where they ended up. But appreciate the intended anti-temerity of your post :thumbsu:

Callum Twomey had Bolton go at 29.

Emma Quayle had Bolton go at 26 (and the original poster did say he wasn't a top 25 pick).

Sam Landsberger had him at 27. Again, around the mark, not top 25.

On Bigfooty Knightmare (the one with the biggest thread and seemingly reputation) had Bolton at 30.

Overall you got a highly talented youngster but due to his position and size, he was always considered around the 25-30 mark.

Last edited:
not big sliders but i think the lions first 3 could be considered mini sliders.

McCluggage- rated top 2 most of the year. Berry- most thought he would be gone by then. Witherden- never thought we would get him and Strawb. delicious.

upload_2016-11-27_9-40-20.jpeg

a84fa1c1c79eb2457f9059de0e0d4aed.jpg

I've never got the big deal about 'draft sliders', generally there'd be a reason why they slid I'd have thought. Kicking, athleticism and being a prick/flight risk are seemingly common reasons.

Sure you can get a steal but I wonder whether picking a 'hidden gem' would be just as effective as picking a guy who was expected to go early but for whatever reason teams avoided.

Would love Essendon to rookie ladhams and scharenberg

Surprised you got Draper and left Ladhams to us?

Or more surprised Filipovic was taken before Ladhams?

Callum Twomey had Bolton go at 29.

Emma Quayle had Bolton go at 26 (and the original poster did say he wasn't a top 25 pick).

Sam Landsberger had him at 27. Again, around the mark, not top 25.

On Bigfooty Knightmare (the one with the biggest thread and seemingly reputation) had Bolton at 30.

Overall you got a highly talented youngster but due to his position and size, he was always considered around the 25-30 mark.

It's due to his off field issues.

You picked them so I hope you weren't off guard.

Both went were they were about expected I think. Bolton's very good, but a genuine small forward without a lot of midfield production rarely goes top 25.

Graham was rated more 40-60 until the rumours of Brisbane taking him in the 20's bobbed up.

Graham was top 30 in literally every mock/phantom and even in Champion Datas ratings big board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back