2016 Draft Sliders

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost got the quad.

If I had a dollar for every time i've heard that :rolleyes:

Good draft for Brisbane IMO.

As for Carlton i'm equally as pleased. Probably got one of the bigger 'sliders' based on 'expert' opinions in Kerr with our last pick who was touted as a 20-30 selection. We also did the opposite and took a bloke who was unexpected (except for those with what turned out to be good intel on the Carlton board) and somewhat hidden in Polson who was super early before injury ended his year. Looks impressive.

Graham was top 30 in literally every mock/phantom and even in Champion Datas ratings big board.
I was probably wrong to say 40-60, but I'll stick with 30-50, that late 2nd, early 3rd round rage. Brett Anderson had him at 38, Twomey at 26 but that was just before the draft, he wasn't in Buckenara's top 25. He won the Larke medal and averaged 25 touches a game in the champs, so he had to be in CD's top players.

I don't take great stock of phantom drafts because they can reflect one clubs early interest - in this case allegedly Brisbane and then people infer that a player was ranked 20 spots higher than where most clubs had them. I don't think many clubs would've had Graham in the top 30. There were too many players with more upside available and taken in the 20's and 30's of this draft. He's a nice pick at 53 but I guess what I'm saying is I wasn't watching the board on draft night in the 30's and 40's wondering why no one had taken him. I though't good pick at 53, but not why didn't anyone take him 20 picks ago.

If I had a dollar for every time i've heard that :rolleyes:

Good draft for Brisbane IMO.

As for Carlton i'm equally as pleased. Probably got one of the bigger 'sliders' based on 'expert' opinions in Kerr with our last pick who was touted as a 20-30 selection. We also did the opposite and took a bloke who was unexpected (except for those with what turned out to be good intel on the Carlton board) and somewhat hidden in Polson who was super early before injury ended his year. Looks impressive.

Kerr tanked hard.

Didn't know where else to put this, but for anyone that is interested I caught up with South Australian prospect Alex Villis, who after being touted as a potential early selection was ultimately overlooked due to a heart condition.

I was probably wrong to say 40-60, but I'll stick with 30-50, that late 2nd, early 3rd round rage. Brett Anderson had him at 38, Twomey at 26 but that was just before the draft, he wasn't in Buckenara's top 25. He won the Larke medal and averaged 25 touches a game in the champs, so he had to be in CD's top players.

I don't take great stock of phantom drafts because they can reflect one clubs early interest - in this case allegedly Brisbane and then people infer that a player was ranked 20 spots higher than where most clubs had them. I don't think many clubs would've had Graham in the top 30. There were too many players with more upside available and taken in the 20's and 30's of this draft. He's a nice pick at 53 but I guess what I'm saying is I wasn't watching the board on draft night in the 30's and 40's wondering why no one had taken him. I though't good pick at 53, but not why didn't anyone take him 20 picks ago.
Anderson had him at 23 according to SEN article titled Final 2016 AFL Mock Draft 22 days ago

The top 30 ranked forward with Carlton bloodlines who's grandmother is the Blues #1 ticket holder just happened to be there at Pick 65...

Plenty predicted months out that he'd slide. He's a capable player, but pretty one-dimensional at this stage, and lacking a little athletically. He's going to have to do a lot of work to improve on his weaknesses, as they'll be shown up at AFL level. He is a decent set shot and his footy IQ is sound though.

Players jump up on draft night as well. The cumulative effort of compiling data on as many players as possible and weighting their performances is a big influence too. We took two outside players with less exposure with our previous two picks, for example.

Injuries and decision making saw him slide. Time will tell whether he can overcome these in an AFL environment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back