2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If can't be fixed , maybe manage sandi and clarke as the main ruck . Take turn to rest . With apeness as forward /ruck . Tab and a.pearce as emergency if one of the ruck go down. But really need to draft ruckmen this year in main draft and rookie draft to play peel to develop . Clarke should not play with peel if his knee cant be fixed , but manage his load.

So you want to play Clarke in the seniors in 2017 to manage his load? Or keep him on the senior list only to play every 2nd or 3rd game?

That seems to be the question about Jeremy Goddard playing in the colts.

Goddard played a couple of games in the reserves this year where he had 54 and 44 hit outs against South Fremantle and East Perth. Those teams, along with Claremont were the top 3 teams on the WAFL Reserves ladder. Against East Perth their ruckman averaged about 33 hit outs per game.

Hi guys, presuming Hill passes his physical what compensation do you think you will offer, and how will you arrange it. Seems a deep draft for midfield talent; you would regret not having a second rounder.

It's probably too hard to say, I think the clubs main priorities will be getting the following players in this order.

1) Mcarthy,
2) Hogan
3) Lobb
And last Hill.

And it's also depends on what priory picks we get for Mayne, Ballas and any other player that leaves the club.

I doubt that the club will see hill as a need, as we have plenty of outside run in Weller, S.Hill, Langdon and Bennel. Their priority should be forwards and rucks

Hi guys, presuming Hill passes his physical what compensation do you think you will offer, and how will you arrange it. Seems a deep draft for midfield talent; you would regret not having a second rounder.
Depends what we get for our free agents. Hill isn't a need, to be honest I half hope we get outbid by the Eagles. He's so poor in a contest. If we get him I imagine an early second rounder, but personally I think more than a third is a rip off from what I've seen of him lately.

I think there will be good will in discussions between Hawthorn and Fremantle and a deal that is unsatisfactory to both clubs will be made.

It's probably too hard to say, I think the clubs main priorities will be getting the following players in this order.

1) Mcarthy,
2) Hogan
3) Lobb
And last Hill.

And it's also depends on what priory picks we get for Mayne, Ballas and any other player that leaves the club.

I doubt that the club will see hill as a need, as we have plenty of outside run in Weller, S.Hill, Langdon and Bennel. Their priority should be forwards and rucks

I think
  1. Hogan
  2. Lobb
  3. McCarthy
  4. Hill
In terms of the club's wish list priorities. But 1 and 2 are incredibly unlikely. In terms of speed of deal being done, Hill then McCarthy. I am not convinced that the Giants have acccepted McCarthy's drop in value.

I think Hawthorn would be happy with an early second round pick from free agency compensation.
I think Freo would be happy exchanging a third round pick.
So I think there will be some dealing to get a result midway between the two.

Don't be upset if that's what happens. He's got a polish that McGrath doesn't have, it's his athleticism and footy nous of McGrath that has me interested and spruiking him as potential top 3. Personally I still think Brodie will go 2, McCluggage 1.

I watched McGraths highlights from the 18's.

Meh

I think there will be good will in discussions between Hawthorn and Fremantle and a deal that is unsatisfactory to both clubs will be made.

I think
  1. Hogan
  2. Lobb
  3. McCarthy
  4. Hill
In terms of the club's wish list priorities. But 1 and 2 are incredibly unlikely. In terms of speed of deal being done, Hill then McCarthy. I am not convinced that the Giants have acccepted McCarthy's drop in value.

I think Hawthorn would be happy with an early second round pick from free agency compensation.
I think Freo would be happy exchanging a third round pick.
So I think there will be some dealing to get a result midway between the two.
Seems about right. We are probably hoping for mid 20's or better but hopes don't equal gets.

As regards Lobb and Hogan they are nice but not urgent for next year. Whomever wants them this year will get screwed over royally. Just make a big dollar offer for Lobb next year; fairly sure GWS won't have the salary cap or won't want to set a precedent of paying overs. They have so many AA quality players to try and hold. Also give you another year to look at Hogan. Sometimes his body language has not been good. Lobb could be anything.

IMO you have the whip hand with McCarthy. Don't think that GWS will want to pay for him to sit out another year as they are salay cap constrained. About pick 20 or his mental health problems persist.

Seems about right. We are probably hoping for mid 20's or better but hopes don't equal gets.

As regards Lobb and Hogan they are nice but not urgent for next year. Whomever wants them this year will get screwed over royally. Just make a big dollar offer for Lobb next year; fairly sure GWS won't have the salary cap or won't want to set a precedent of paying overs. They have so many AA quality players to try and hold. Also give you another year to look at Hogan. Sometimes his body language has not been good. Lobb could be anything.

IMO you have the whip hand with McCarthy. Don't think that GWS will want to pay for him to sit out another year as they are salay cap constrained. About pick 20 or his mental health problems persist.
Hogan is a bit if a worry. Seems to be a bit if Brendon fevola in him. Both hogs and lobb would cost a fortune and quite frankly gws have enough no 1 draft picks plus accademy picKS. They dont need anymore.

I reckon today will be the exit interviews.

Would expect news to start filtering out this afternoon
Some boys walking into Bondy's office with decent hangovers...

I reckon today will be the exit interviews.

Would expect news to start filtering out this afternoon

If anyone has the WAFL grand final on tape, check out the exchange between Clancee Pearce and Greg Broughton before the medal presentation, I think I was able to read Clancee mouthing "but just not at Freo"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard played a couple of games in the reserves this year where he had 54 and 44 hit outs against South Fremantle and East Perth. Those teams, along with Claremont were the top 3 teams on the WAFL Reserves ladder. Against East Perth their ruckman averaged about 33 hit outs per game.
Thank you. Must admit I would rather take a ruckman lower than 3 if possible, if someone like him was gettable.

I English can play early more as a tall half-back then I have fewer reservations about taking him at 3. His value is beyond being a ruckman isn't it?

I was initially in the boat of wanting to see what English could do at CHB, but I've come around now. His value is in being a midfielder who just happens to be able to take the ruck contests too. His movement, ground work and foot skills are as good as most midfielders in this draft. Bulk him up, and he'll be a fine ruckman too.

Is there anyone who we may pick up that you would be genuinely disappointed with? The way i'm looking at is that all the top 7 or so players look awesome and we should all just trust who ever it is the recruiters chose.

Not really. Brodie will probably be an All Australian midfielder, but I'd be ever so slightly disappointed as I think other players suit our needs better. But that's splitting hairs really. I'd be sticking to the general consensus though, not reaching for a player.

So it sounds like English be an Adam Goodes, Koutafides or Fyfe/Bont type with the skills and agility of a mid, yet the height to play ruck-rover? Notice how Bontempelli went third man up a lot in their final v GWS.

So it sounds like English be an Adam Goodes, Koutafides or Fyfe/Bont type with the skills and agility of a mid, yet the height to play ruck-rover? Notice how Bontempelli went third man up a lot in their final v GWS.

Dean Cox. A ruck with the skills of a midfielder.

A Dean Cox-type. But then the last time that comparison was made... it was Leuey. :oops:

Every year there's a ruckman compared to Cox. I don't actually think there's a good comparison for English. He's a strange case. A mix of Tom Nicholls and Mark Blicavs isn't exactly awe inspiring, Dean Cox just sounds a bit better for a potential top 5 pick.

Every year there's a ruckman compared to Cox. I don't actually think there's a good comparison for English. He's a strange case. A mix of Tom Nicholls and Mark Blicavs isn't exactly awe inspiring, Dean Cox just sounds a bit better for a potential top 5 pick.
How would he compare to Alex Pearce - who was also seen as a mid before his growth spurt and that also plays back with ruck capabilities?

I remember Tony Micale saying the same thing about Clarke when Clarke was at East Perth early in his career. Harvey actually played Clarke as a wingman . English is surely a spec pick. A bit of a dogs breakfast, neither mid, ruck or kpp.

Yeah I actually get very worried with taking a big man early. Many need to understand that English missed last years draft. I mean where was he rated then? He has a year on many of the draftees and has all of a sudden shot up the rankings.

In my view and without sounding disrespectful to English. It would be like imagining a Year 11 footballer at high school staying down a year and then getting to play with all the Year 10s the following year. He goes from a reasonable year 11 player to a star year 11 player. If you get my analogy.

You then look at someone like SPS who hasn't bulked up and is still a kid versus someone like SPP who is basically a man and how their rankings fluctuate.

This isn't anything recruiters wouldn't be aware of.

Yeah I was thinking Cox and Blicavs as further examples. I certainly wouldn't give up pick 3 for Blicavs, but I would for a Cox or Goodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back