2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosich was pretty happy when we were allocated the Kimberley,MidWest and Wheatbelt zones and said it would definitely be part of our long term recruiting strategy to identify indigenous and multicultural talent from those areas.
I reckon it's great that we've got such a strong connect with the Aboriginal community and have such a healthy representation of players on our books.
Just recently bought an Indigenous jumper for my sister (at her request)and she doesn't even follow footy.
She asked for the one The Dodger had a hand in designing??
Really surprised me but made the birthday present easy.
She runs marathons and reckons she'll be wearing it then.

The trial BigFooty Phantom Draft is currently underway...

One pick down for Fremantle, and I went for Todd Marshall with our first.

Big ups for this pick, Chris25. I sincerely hope this is how we go on the day (assuming we still have #3). Have really liked what I've seen of Marshall on his highlight videos.

Big ups for this pick, Chris25. I sincerely hope this is how we go on the day (assuming we still have #3). Have really liked what I've seen of Marshall on his highlight videos.
Looking forward to having another skillful target inside 50 that we can regularly kick over his head, 15m to the side of him, or when he is triple teamed. Been working well for us this season.

Chris25 i personally have concern about Marshall as a KP prospect.
Just don't see the strength required at AFL level in him - he'll be a long term prospect and one I think would end up a lesser version of Westoff/roaming fwd type.
I hope for the kids sake this isn't the case, but FFC's current game plan of "bomb it and see what happens" will just destroy any chance Marshall will have to impact games for 3 yrs till he (possibly) bulks up and/or we sort our s**t out.
Personally, I think it's a burnt pick and tbh I'm angry the footy gods haven't delivered us a decent couple of KP options the one year we get an early pick (shakes fist at Sky)
Rant over.

Chris25 i personally have concern about Marshall as a KP prospect.
Just don't see the strength required at AFL level in him - he'll be a long term prospect and one I think would end up a lesser version of Westoff/roaming fwd type.
I hope for the kids sake this isn't the case, but FFC's current game plan of "bomb it and see what happens" will just destroy any chance Marshall will have to impact games for 3 yrs till he (possibly) bulks up and/or we sort our s**t out.
Personally, I think it's a burnt pick and tbh I'm angry the footy gods haven't delivered us a decent couple of KP options the one year we get an early pick (shakes fist at Sky)
Rant over.

Will one potential A grade mid make the club any better? I still like Freo taking a kpp at this pic but it does sound like a reach and would go against the grain of best available

My feeling has always been that Brisbane will take SPS, and we will end up taking English.
English, Marshall are years away from playing AFL, usually talls taken at 3 or 4 are a chance to debut the following
year.
All depends on McCarthy, if he is wearing purple and SPS is gone, I like McCluggage, outside player who will develop
inside, reminds me of J Bartel.

All three are TBH. My favourite has always been SPS, I have made that clear before but honestly he is quite slight and reminds me of Jack Martin, who has been in the system a few years now without making a huge impact as yet (aside from round 2 vs Freo). In saying that Martin will be a superstar very soon and I'm confident SPS will also but will take time (probably quicker than the other two).

Tim English fills a need. He took 10 marks for the colts on weekend which is promising. Also seems to be improving at a rapid rate.

Our ruck stocks are suddenly very dire, with Sandilands and Griff not getting any younger while guys like Clarke, Hannath and Moller not coming on as expected, if it comes down to the draft we would have to be looking at Tim English. If we have the opportunity to draft an elite ruckman with great skills then we would have to consider it over best available, there are only few other elite rucks in the competition as of now with the likes of Naitanui, Gawn, maybe Goldstein, um.... yeah that's pretty much it. If not then I would absolutely consider if the opportunity presented itself trading pick 3 for Lobb and McCarthy, but that's very doubtful, and then there's guys like Vickery and Witts who are honestly dreadful.

It's a very long shot but what are the odds of picking up someone like Nathan Vardy from the cats? They've got an unlimited supply of big men as it is and I don't see a place for him in their squad and may want to seek opportunity elsewhere, problem is unfortunately I don't see him making the trip down West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English, Marshall are years away from playing AFL, usually talls taken at 3 or 4 are a chance to debut the following
year.
All depends on McCarthy, if he is wearing purple and SPS is gone, I like McCluggage, outside player who will develop
inside, reminds me of J Bartel.

It doesn't really bother me. If we end up with:

SPS = Win
English = Win
Luggage = Win

I think the Lions take SPS because they've had more luck keeping the WA boys. We could take any type of player and he'll fit any need.

one word And that's English. We need a quality ruckman. Sandilands only has one year left and we need to develop one asap. There is always going to be mids available but a quality ruckman is not easy to find. If we don't take English at our first pick he will be snapped up pretty quick

Agree with the needs above... But if you're going best available then Ben Ainsworth would be in the mix alongside SPS. Then there's a small talent gap to about a dozen other guys. (Purely my opinion though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rosich was pretty happy when we were allocated the Kimberley,MidWest and Wheatbelt zones and said it would definitely be part of our long term recruiting strategy to identify indigenous and multicultural talent from those areas.
I reckon it's great that we've got such a strong connect with the Aboriginal community and have such a healthy representation of players on our books.

Can anyone explain how this is actually going to work?

So indigenous kids from traditional football areas like the Great Southern are now considered academy players, but white kids are not?

Seems weird to me because if I had to guess there are already many more indigenous kids than white kids from those areas in the AFL. Hardly under-represented.

Also kind of depressing since all of Great Southern is a West Coast zone :(

Can anyone explain how this is actually going to work?

So indigenous kids from traditional football areas like the Great Southern are now considered academy players, but white kids are not?

Seems weird to me because if I had to guess there are already many more indigenous kids than white kids from those areas in the AFL. Hardly under-represented.

Also kind of depressing since all of Great Southern is a West Coast zone :(
More or less correct. Also access to international kids. I believe the criteria is at least one parent born overseas? I'm not sure if that would mean Peter Bell for example would be an academy pick with at least one of his folks hailing from overseas I believe.

More or less correct. Also access to international kids. I believe the criteria is at least one parent born overseas? I'm not sure if that would mean Peter Bell for example would be an academy pick with at least one of his folks hailing from overseas I believe.

Peter Bell was adopted from a South Korean orphanage, both his (adoptive) parents are white Australians from Kojonup. So I am not sure if that would count, but I would guess not since his legal parents are not immigrants.

Makes you wonder if it applies to people like Crozier or Clancee Pearce who had 1 parent of multicultural origin but another parent who was always into AFL.

Even more so with Crozier who the AFL fails to mention is not the very multicultural kind of Sri Lankan - he's the descendant of British and Irish colonists, just like most white Australians. In that respect (despite him being mentioned in multicultural round), he's not more ethnic than Chris Mayne or Garrick Ibbotson who both have 1 parent born in England.

It would be interesting to find out how they define who is "multicultural" and who isn't. I am guessing that both parents would have to be born overseas in order to qualify. I think it would have to be that way or it'd be kind of a joke where you could have the situation where some kid who's the son of an AFL Hall of Famer and an Irish Backpacker would qualify as a "multicultural" selection despite having grown up and played footy all their life.

Last edited:
Coming around to the idea that ruck is probably one of the least important positions on the ground. With the exception of Gawn every other ruckman has had a inconsistent/average year.

You've even got teams like Port playing better without a ruckman. Wouldn't spend pick 3 on this English guy. We've seen in the past with Kruzer and Nic Nat that you end up wasting a high end pick only to get a comparable talent to say a Sandilands out of the rookie draft.

At worst we go ruck shopping next year and find ourselves a Stanley/Vardy/Naismith type that is at least serviceable.

Coming around to the idea that ruck is probably one of the least important positions on the ground. With the exception of Gawn every other ruckman has had a inconsistent/average year.

You've even got teams like Port playing better without a ruckman. Wouldn't spend pick 3 on this English guy. We've seen in the past with Kruzer and Nic Nat that you end up wasting a high end pick only to get a comparable talent to say a Sandilands out of the rookie draft.

At worst we go ruck shopping next year and find ourselves a Stanley/Vardy/Naismith type that is at least serviceable.

You would if they turn out like Dean Cox though who English is being compared to but that is obviously near on impossible to know prior to draft time.

Peter Bell was adopted from a South Korean orphanage, both his (adoptive) parents are white Australians from Kojonup. So I am not sure if that would count, but I would guess not since his legal parents are not immigrants.

Makes you wonder if it applies to people like Crozier or Clancee Pearce who had 1 parent of multicultural origin but another parent who was always into AFL.

Even more so with Crozier who the AFL fails to mention is not the very multicultural kind of Sri Lankan - he's the descendant of British and Irish colonists, just like most white Australians. In that respect (despite him being mentioned in multicultural round), he's not more ethnic than Chris Mayne or Garrick Ibbotson who both have 1 parent born in England.

It would be interesting to find out how they define who is "multicultural" and who isn't. I am guessing that both parents would have to be born overseas in order to qualify. I think it would have to be that way or it'd be kind of a joke where you could have the situation where some kid who's the son of an AFL Hall of Famer and an Irish Backpacker would qualify as a "multicultural" selection despite having grown up and played footy all their life.

An article on the AFL site which was about how the clubs will be able to select Category B rookies from these new zones in this years draft even if they have been playing footy as normal till now. This is a one off (suspect small concession to the anti GWS academy sentiment) - it indicated the criteria for 'mulitcultural' was at least one parent born o/seas in Asia or Africa. By that definition Crozier would count but Ibbotson etc. would not (would not be many like Crozier - maybe a few from Zimbabwe/South Africa in Perth though?). I assume the same criteria carries through to later academy zone players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back