List Mgmt. 2016 Draft/Trade/Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the Swans will be releasing players to free up salary cap and taking academy players.
Next year its -$600G Cola and +$200G Buddy
You start $800G down
Lose Mitchell and Richards should give you nearly a mill
So you have +$200G
Erm.. We've known and planned for the $600k reduction for a few years now, so it's already been factored in. No need to shed players.

I dont think you do
But we will both know after the trade period
Now we are both just quessing
If we lost:
Mitchell
Nankervis
Richards
McGlynn

That's approximately 1 million in salary (rough guess). Buddy goes up by 200k, but the cap goes up by 500.
That's 1.3 million to spare. Assume we've allowed for some pay rises, and we get 3 draftees/rookies, we'd still potentially have 500k-700k spare to lure someone.

I don't think you've looked at our list profile, but it's got 26 players under 23, as well as cast-offs like Laidler and Talia who would have come to use for almost nothing considering it was their last chance at a career. Our top tier players are well payed, but there just aren't that many of them.

If we lost:
Mitchell
Nankervis
Richards
McGlynn

That's approximately 1 million in salary (rough guess). Buddy goes up by 200k, but the cap goes up by 500.
That's 1.3 million to spare. Assume we've allowed for some pay rises, and we get 3 draftees/rookies, we'd still potentially have 500k-700k spare to lure someone.

I don't think you've looked at our list profile, but it's got 26 players under 23, as well as cast-offs like Laidler and Talia who would have come to use for almost nothing considering it was their last chance at a career. Our top tier players are well payed, but there just aren't that many of them.

add Reid ($500k) = $1-1.2M

I dont think you do

Whys the swans accountant on here?

Thought he was in promotions? Co host swans tv?

I believe he posted a while ago that he actually is an accountant, hence my post. :p

On a serious note, I don't have the figures in front of me so I'm not sure what our cap structure looks like atm, but we should be able to cope with the loss of the COLA fairly easily by delisting players. Looking at the list of players coming out of contract this year we could lose Derickx, Towers, McGlynn and the Richards brothers. I don't know how much of a "war chest" we will have, but we should have cap space to retain Mitchell (if he wants to stay) and sign someone decent.

I believe he posted a while ago that he actually is an accountant, hence my post. :p

On a serious note, I don't have the figures in front of me so I'm not sure what our cap structure looks like atm, but we should be able to cope with the loss of the COLA fairly easily by delisting players. Looking at the list of players coming out of contract this year we could lose Derickx, Towers, McGlynn and the Richards brothers. I don't know how much of a "war chest" we will have, but we should have cap space to retain Mitchell (if he wants to stay) and sign someone decent.

People are so certain on player salaries

Eg what was tippetts extension? Did he get a pay cut?

I think Fyfe might just be out of our reach :p

Could make him ambassador for say nsw rail for 1.2 mil a year and pay him 100k through the club

That's why I prefaced my post by saying I didn't know. But we should be able to free up enough room due to delistings and retirements.

(Edit: Assume you're talking about people like Hawk Dork who seems like a reincarnation of Button telling us what we can afford?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why I prefaced my post by saying I didn't know. But we should be able to free up enough room due to delistings and retirements.

Just save a little for that buddy extension in 6 years

I dont think you do

Ah! No!
One of us is guessing.

As far as delusional Hawk supporters are concerned, [tick here ( ) if you are one or just write NFI in the section about Swans' list management matters], Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli, Lewis, Burgoyne, Birchall, Frawley, Gibson, Gunston, Breust & Poppy are all prepared to play for only 250K each per year & love playing for the club because it's provided them with a room big enough to have regular Saturday night orgies, with the promise from Clarko, that if they can win their fourth p'ship in a row, the club will introduce some women to their special night together.

What a Hawthorn love fest we have had on our hands these last 4 years!

So, like Tedeski Im also a bean counter and have had some exposure in reviewing talent acquisition strategies (NBL...but that counts right...) the swans would have taken all of the above into consideration, would have increased the flex contract amounts to ensure we hit 100% of cap limit each year (i.e. 2012/13 tippets highest paying years, also i doubt Reid is on as much now as 2012).

These strategies are over 5-10 years and due to macroeconomic events such as AFLPA renegotiations, an increase would have already been modelled into contracts offered in last 18 months. the size of the increase will affect our ability to attract whom, all the trade ban has done (financially) is ensured that our existing players on longer contracts were front loaded as much as possible.

So, like Tedeski Im also a bean counter and have had some exposure in reviewing talent acquisition strategies (NBL...but that counts right...) the swans would have taken all of the above into consideration, would have increased the flex contract amounts to ensure we hit 100% of cap limit each year (i.e. 2012/13 tippets highest paying years, also i doubt Reid is on as much now as 2012).

These strategies are over 5-10 years and due to macroeconomic events such as AFLPA renegotiations, an increase would have already been modelled into contracts offered in last 18 months. the size of the increase will affect our ability to attract whom, all the trade ban has done (financially) is ensured that our existing players on longer contracts were front loaded as much as possible.

You're good

Trouble is that we need an elite kicker or two now. Frankly I think it would be worth trading our first rounder to get someone good in. O'Meara would be lovely but I can only see him going to a Victorian club.

If it isn't OMeara I'd rather go to the draft. It's a very deep draft.

There's been talk about Tom Boyd being encouraged to take a pay cut in order to "take the pressure off him" and to allow the Bulldogs to recruit someone like Hurley. I wasn't aware that could be done once a contract was lodged with the AFL. Is there a possibility in us asking some of our players to do that?

True there will be an increase in salary
Forgot McGlynn
and you will remove other players possibly Ried giving you another $500G
and probably get McDonald and another lesser player (thats important)
but I think the rest will be academy because they are good value for money
The long term contracts signed recently probably absorb some of the future increases.

Just my guessing
Thankyou for caring about us!

Eg what was tippetts extension? Did he get a pay cut?
Mate, everyone's an expert on here. It's speculative bullshit! On all threads, it's the mods' job to clean the 'rubbish' from the fact! They do an ok job but hypothethis and fact don't go hand in hand. So people out there, WE WILL NOT GET O'MEARA! It's irrelevant talking about it!

Last edited:
So people out there, WE WILL NOT GET O'MEARA! It's irrelevant talking about it!

I thought the same thing, but then we signed buddy so......

On all threads, it's the mods' job to clean the 'rubbish' from the fact!

Not all rubbish is fact....its a hard thing to police but if people want to throw up names like JOM we aren't going to stop them from doing so because its highly unlikely. We let people give reason why it won't happen and let everyone make their minds up.

If it gets debunked by the club and is repeated over and over we then act. But that isn't the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back