List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trades and Retirements Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the offer to heeney, Hes going to get offered millions again this year, now for arguments sake, say he tells the club he wants to stay but he needs an offer in the same ball park to stay at the club, who would be the key players everyone would consider letting go in order to keep heeney?

For me the obvious one would be to retire mcveigh but if we had to trade, its a toss up between hanners and parker

With the offer to heeney, Hes going to get offered millions again this year, now for arguments sake, say he tells the club he wants to stay but he needs an offer in the same ball park to stay at the club, who would be the key players everyone would consider letting go in order to keep heeney?

For me the obvious one would be to retire mcveigh but if we had to trade, its a toss up between hanners and parker

Do you really think McVeigh is going to get another contract? This is his last year.

Do you think, after long term signing Parker, Hanners and JK3 any of them would be on the table? A successful club doesn't sign players like that to ship them off.

Haha, I saw this coming and everyone laughed at me when I said he was going to attract offers of 1 mill per year.

If he asks for a million a year we will let him go.

Does he have more profile in NSW? Apart from the Academy argument, how is he recognised in Victoria.? Would Marcus Bontempeeli, Patrick Cripps et.al. be competing for the same market? ( That blonde hair is pretty striking though). I would think the Swans could offer him a lot in associated/marketing arrangements. There are fewer opportunities in NSW, but also less competition. He is very much associated with the Swans, and is the young face of the Swans. Given the Swans have the most supporters in Australia (as opposed to members), that must give him some unique marketing opportunities.

This year it's Heeney. Next year it'll be Mills. Were going to get screwed over somehow. Rabble clubs have no idea so they just try to steal the best upcoming talent from other clubs.
we will keep both, its the reason why we let mitchell go last year.

Mitchell, richards, mglynn and possibly mcveigh all gone in a 2 year period should be enough to sign mills and heeney.

Aliir is the one that concerns me, if he has another strong year this year, i cant see how we match any offers unless someone like grundy goes or even tippo

Credit to Towers, the fact he'll be on an AFL list at 29 in 2018 despite probably having played less than 50 games is one of the most remarkable con-jobs pulled in recent times and it seems he has everyone fooled.
So when's this massive potential performing spike coming? How many more draftees are going to overtake him this year? A forward that averaged less than a goal a game and less than 2 tackles a game, that's why he was friggin dropped. The thought he would've made any difference to the finals results is laughable. He's a fringe player/place holder at best, Horse rewards his form then realises why he was in the reserves in the first place, it's a never ending circle.

You need to give the club your resume!
Those at the club who rate him enough to have given him another contract, need to step aside to allow some astute Bigfooty judges a chance to show their wares on talent spotting.

That fact that these blokes are responsible for developing 'ordinary players' such as Smith, Rampe, Lloyd, Grundy, Papley, etc, etc, to play a certain role for our team, provided the player has a capacity to work hard, should have nothing to do with them keeping their coaching jobs ahead of someone like your good self for example. I say they should all step aside so that some of us BF people can get their jobs & put a line through 3 quarters of our list because they have deficiencies.

I don't mean to offend you when I say that I'd personally rather put my trust in the development staff & coaches we currently have over someone from BF.

He is an outside player who can run with good endurance levels, can jump & mark & can kick goals.

Check his stats against a bloke that was given a game every week for his outside abilities. Jetta!

On one hand you are judging Towers as a best 22 player but on the other hand you are saying he's a reserves grade player & that's all.
Let's agree on that! What do you want from the guy if he is the next best in line for his role in the starting 22, when those ahead of him are injured?

Same old whinging about something we've all heard all year but may I suggest he is still on our list because he is on very little coin & he is significantly better than most other fringe players we could have brought to our club!

Dean Towers bashing is getting BORRRRRRRRRING!

We all 'expertly' established that he isn't a senior player two years ago!
The coaches of the best run sporting club in Australia are responsible for Tower's still having a back up spot on the list in case we need him!

Personally, I reckon the Heeney and Mills money has in part come from Mitchell. The rest comes via McVeigh and Jack retirements, a drop in Reid's contract and a reduction in Tippo's next contract. If anything else is needed it will come out of the CBA agreement.

I see no worries in retaining Mills and Heeney. It's players like Aliir Aliir, George Hewett and Zak Jones that we will need to worry about

I see no worries in retaining Mills and Heeney. It's players like Aliir Aliir, George Hewett and Zak Jones that we will need to worry about
Yep. This.

WA/QLD will be vying for AA.
SA for Hewy.
VIC for Jonesy.

The biggest threat for Mills & Heenz IMO are GWS who don't need (& probably can't fit) more elite talent in their age bracket.

Yeah any of our players could get an insane offer from another club which they'd be silly to turn down (e.g. Eski). Others may want to go "home" (e.g. Jolly, Jetta). Some may want more "opportunity" (e.g. Lamb). Whatever the reason, players leave.

In the same breath. Players turn down massive offers to stay where they are. Some players take less than market rate to keep the group together. Others have great pride to wear their colours & wouldn't dream of leaving.

For those that leave, they are replaceable. In the end, if they leave on what we may deem more selfish terms then did we really want them anyway? We don't want guys that are always looking for a better offer elsewhere & not focused on delivering their best to our club.

In Heeneys case, if the kid gets some kind of crazy offer too good to refuse then so be it. I don't think he'll go. He is the face of footy in NSW & is already assured of being a top 10 section each week. He's is the right age demographic to take over a leadership role at the club in the future (if he wants that) & has family & friends here. The money will be there for him, maybe not as much, but he won't go hungry.

You need to give the club your resume!
Those at the club who rate him enough to have given him another contract, need to step aside to allow some astute Bigfooty judges a chance to show their wares on talent spotting.

That fact that these blokes are responsible for developing 'ordinary players' such as Smith, Rampe, Lloyd, Grundy, Papley, etc, etc, to play a certain role for our team, provided the player has a capacity to work hard, should have nothing to do with them keeping their coaching jobs ahead of someone like your good self for example. I say they should all step aside so that some of us BF people can get their jobs & put a line through 3 quarters of our list because they have deficiencies.

I don't mean to offend you when I say that I'd personally rather put my trust in the development staff & coaches we currently have over someone from BF.

He is an outside player who can run with good endurance levels, can jump & mark & can kick goals.

Check his stats against a bloke that was given a game every week for his outside abilities. Jetta!

On one hand you are judging Towers as a best 22 player but on the other hand you are saying he's a reserves grade player & that's all.
Let's agree on that! What do you want from the guy if he is the next best in line for his role in the starting 22, when those ahead of him are injured?

Same old whinging about something we've all heard all year but may I suggest he is still on our list because he is on very little coin & he is significantly better than most other fringe players we could have brought to our club!

Dean Towers bashing is getting BORRRRRRRRRING!

We all 'expertly' established that he isn't a senior player two years ago!
The coaches of the best run sporting club in Australia are responsible for Tower's still having a back up spot on the list in case we need him!

What does Towers being ordinary have to do with AA players like Grundy, Smith, Rampe etc? You need more than just hard-work to make it at AFL level and all those players have it. It's an argument constructed from nothing and isn't relevant to the Towers topic at all, should we list all the players that played less than 50 games and disappeared into nothingness as well? It would be a much longer list.
FYI, I WAS backing the coaches....for leaving him out of the Finals sides, I've been backing them all along for making the right calls and dropping him for the better prospects throughout the year when they did, others seem to think he's been hard done by.

Ignoring that left field and irrelevant stuff about other players/coaches etc., I'm not sure what the debate is though. So we're agreeing that he's a place holding fringe player? but you just say it in a slightly nicer way than I do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does Towers being ordinary have to do with AA players like Grundy, Smith, Rampe etc? You need more than just hard-work to make it at AFL level and all those players have it. It's an argument constructed from nothing and isn't relevant to the Towers topic at all, should we list all the players that played less than 50 games and disappeared into nothingness as well? It would be a much longer list.
FYI, I WAS backing the coaches....for leaving him out of the Finals sides, I've been backing them all along for making the right calls and dropping him for the better prospects throughout the year when they did, others seem to think he's been hard done by.

Ignoring that left field and irrelevant stuff about other players/coaches etc., I'm not sure what the debate is though. So we're agreeing that he's a place holding fringe player? but you just say it in a slightly nicer way than I do?

Nah!
I reckon he has a place in our team.
He's just not a star. He's one of those blokes that doesn't eat away at the salary cap & for the right price with the skill set he does at least have, he becomes that player you can persevere with, as long as he doesn't think he can take up more of the cap than another unknown quantity that you seem to want to favour.

You said "Credit to Towers, the fact he'll be on an AFL list at 29 in 2018 despite probably having played less than 50 games is one of the most remarkable con-jobs pulled in recent times and it seems he has everyone fooled."

That's like a red flag to a bull for me!
If you didn't want a response to that you should have stated "please do not respond to this post as unlike the Swan's List Management Team & coaches, I haven't been fooled"!

But, your opinion, my opinion, their opinion, in the end we are all entitled to one!:)

Self belief is towers issue - and judging on his previous late development he has this preseason to overcome that.
His best game was against freo last year, - no buddy and Reid down early, in a losing final, on foreign ground - not a bad platform - but it seems he just expected '16 to fall into his lap - if he can eliminate the brain fades, (eg like Rampe & his kicking across goals in '15), apply more pressure and Believe in himself - I think he can become an asset. If he don't 'believe' in the off season he won't be around in'18 contract or no contract.

Players to watch for in next years draft:

McLean, Quigley, Balta and Krueger
I misread that as krieger.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hope they dont use this for his player profile

Hmm, add to that disposal efficiency poorer than the much slagged upon Tom Mitchell's. For all our winning midfield and "names" in our forward line, we have lacked the goal scoring potency you'd expect. It's hard to see Dean being the answer to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really hope we are getting into the ears of a few of these GWS mids. What I would give for Josh Kelly in our midfield!

Nice thought but I think our cap will be hard pressed keeping our own young stars let alone bringing theirs in.

No doubt they'll shed players but I'm just not sure we'll be a realistic player... I do hope I'm wrong though

Really hope we are getting into the ears of a few of these GWS mids. What I would give for Josh Kelly in our midfield!
Nice thought but I think our cap will be hard pressed keeping our own young stars let alone bringing theirs in.

No doubt they'll shed players but I'm just not sure we'll be a realistic player... I do hope I'm wrong though

Out: McHack
In: Kelly

Can't see how this would make a difference to our so called tight cap!

Out: McHack
In: Kelly

Can't see how this would make a difference to our so called tight cap!
And what trade currency do we have for a midfielder of that standard? A few average fringe players and an end of first round pick, or would you be prepared to lose someone good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back