List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure McGrath has some questions about his kicking, SPS is seriously impressive, couldn't care less about the stats, plays like a J.Martin/H Bennell cross
McGrath's kicking has been described as elite in all the write-ups. He also does the kicking out from a point in the underage champs.

Mate that was over 10 yearsago
Well Walters then.

Have you had a read of the draft profiles? Plenty of players with decent disposal positioned to go 2nd round and later. And English and Rotham both have good disposal.

I have nothing against any of the top rated players in this draft, but am questioning whether their are better strategies. Getting the ball into the hands of SPS, who is not a ball magnet, without a decent ruck and with below average movement from the backline is going to be interesting.

Essendon's 2nd will be around pick 19. Could get us Rotham.
As Essendon will have first pick in the PSD I can't see us getting an early pick for him as they (Essendon) would be able to force our hand into agreeing to a lesser deal. Unfortunately, from our point of view Essendon is the worse case scenario in terms of a potential suitor for Mick.

No I didn't watch a ton, but followed the reports. Like I said, Id bow to the superior knowledge of those who did watch the games.

Knightmare

8. Andrew McGrath (VIC)
Best position:
Utility
Height, weight: 179cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Stephen Hill
Projected draft range: top 10
Rated last month: 10
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: No TAC Cup games in July. Rises slightly as expectations of some other top prospects are tempered slightly.
Weaknesses:
- Sometimes lacking consistency by foot

Knightmare

8. Andrew McGrath (VIC)
Best position:
Utility
Height, weight: 179cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Stephen Hill
Projected draft range: top 10
Rated last month: 10
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: No TAC Cup games in July. Rises slightly as expectations of some other top prospects are tempered slightly.
Weaknesses:
- Sometimes lacking consistency by foot
His kicking was described as elite by the commentators in the vids. Im not much of a fan of the Knightmare write ups. I reckon they have been significantly wrong on numerous times. Seems weird to compare him to Stephen Hill and then describe him as sometimes lacking consistency by foot. (well weird when compared to every year of Hill's career bar 2016 anyway.)

Like I said though I was after an opinion on Mcgrath as he appears superior to SPS in what Ive read or viewed.

Last edited:
His kicking was described as elite by the commentators in the vids. Im not much of a fan of the Knightmare write ups. I reckon they have been significantly wrong on numerous times. Seems weird to compare him to Stephen Hill and then describe him as sometimes lacking consistency by foot. (well weird when compared to every year of Hill's career bar 2016 anyway.)

Like I said though I was after an opinion on Mcgrath as he appears superior to SPS in what Ive read or viewed.

Very few of his player comparisons make any sense.

Just browsing BF phantom draft , i will take SPS ahead of other if available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to have your attention. What are your thoughts on Andrew McGrath? I think he will be this years bolder and end up being drafted in the top 4 picks.

Well, I have him at #4 on my list. Career half back for me, but would probably make All Australian in that role. His run and vision off half back would be too strong to have him move permanently into the midfield. And more than capable defensively. Excellent leader too from all reports, he could easily lead a defence like Brad Hodge or Easton Wood. I don't think he's an elite kick, but he makes the right decisions and does enough to get the ball there.

Realistically, I see him going 5-10. Our first would be a touch early.

After much thought i dont encourage freo to go for liam ryan. Is he good yes, but whether he can fit into ross system is another thing since he play for subiaco. Yes yarran from subi too but he is mature b
age and nearly did not make it after some move on incident.

Anyone thinking we might have nominated Daniel Cox as one of our three academy Cat B rookies? He's from Halls Creek and one of the competitors in The Recruit. Wasn't thinking much of him until the last couple of episodes - in which he's probably been the standout performer.

http://www.fox8.tv/character/the-recruit-daniel-cox/
Clem might know about it .just my guess.

I have absolutely no idea who they have nominated. Possibly haven't been told because I can't be trusted to keep my mouth shut.

But I liked the look of a short muscular runner from Broome who is playing in Claremont colts called Chris Oakley. He is a confident young man too, by all accounts.

I had a chance to look at the profiles of the players expected to go early in the draft and found SPS to be particularly underwhelming. On youtube they have packages of the top players impacts on a game, rather than just highlights. In other words they show errors as well as good play in whole games. SPS didn't seem to be overly quick or a particularly skilful in these videos. Considering RTB has constantly said our biggest weakness is kicking and transferring the football from the backline I think there would have to be change we would look at the best junior player at assisting in this area. That player by a country mile is Andrew Mcgrath who looks like a cross between Heath Shaw and with the pace of Jayden Hunt. He is listed below as a midfielder, but played most of the underage comp as a small defender. From what I can tell he would be a better fit than SPS, but I'll definitely bow to those who have followed the draft more closely. Eg WayToGo.

Andrew McGrath
Midfielder
179cm/75kg
2/6/98
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

McGrath's elite junior athletics background comes through in his play. The former high jumper, triple-jumper, hurdler and runner brings out those traits when on the field, with the Sandringham Dragons prospect often taking the game on with his dash and dare. McGrath separates himself from the pack within moments, and uses his top-end agility to get out of trouble in tight areas. Enjoyed a complete game for the Dragons last month when he collected 44 disposals, 14 clearances and 19 tackles against Gippsland.
I'm a big fan of McGrath and think he has done enough to be considered in the top 5. Agree with Chris that he seems ideal left as a half back as he is an excellent distributor playing behind the ball.

I'm still also a massive fan of Petrevski-Seton though because his ceiling is huge and when you watch him live he is strong defensively (as a midfielder) and when he has the ball in his hands you almost expect something to happen (x-factor). He is deceptively fast, his body is ready to play AFL and in a supportive environment, surrounded by other stars like Fyfe, Bennell, Hill and Walters, he'd prosper imo. But he's not going to rack up 30+ disposals week in, week out and he will make plenty of mistakes early on because he seems a bit of a risk taker. He's had some injuries this year which have impacted his form but as an under-ager he was amazing (not dissimilar to Balic and I think that's going to work out ok).

But I still wouldn't mind if we got McCluggage or McGrath instead because all three will almost certainly be extremely good players. Hugh is a rare outside midfielder that can score heavily. McGrath could become the general in defence. And SPS could very well become the most creative inside mid in the game.

I get the knocks on him, but I still like SPS over the others because I don't think Blakely is a replacement for (2015) Mundy. We've been throwing Hill in the middle this year to provide some much needed extra class but I still think his strength is as a predominantly outside mid leaning defensively. We need a good distributor in the thick of it. Someone that can sit behind the stoppage to read what is going on and act defensively or offensively depending on what happens. I don't see anyone else on our list who is capable of that role once Mundy leaves (and Mundy hasn't been the best at it this year either). And the only reason I'd see that more valuable than a potential great half back like McGrath is that Tucker and even Weller could very well become great distributing half backs in a similar mould. If McGrath was a fair bit taller I'd strongly consider him as a better choice over SPS and others but he's not. I'd also take McCluggage in a heart beat but with Brad Hill likely coming our way at some point we are going to improve our class on the outside anyway. Brodie and Ainsworth don't really fill gaps on our list worth that kind of currency imo.

I'm also not completely against taking an English or possibly Marshall with our first pick but I'd want to make sure they are capable of filling the need we have within the mix of players already on our list (plus those likely to come - McCarthy, B.Hill etc).

TL;DR - If McGrath was 192cm+ he'd fit our biggest need perfectly but at only 179cm I think a good distributor in congestion (eg SPS) might be a more valuable option to use our pick 3 on. Or failing that some height and skills.

I'm a big fan of McGrath and think he has done enough to be considered in the top 5. Agree with Chris that he seems ideal left as a half back as he is an excellent distributor playing behind the ball.

I'm still also a massive fan of Petrevski-Seton though because his ceiling is huge and when you watch him live he is strong defensively (as a midfielder) and when he has the ball in his hands you almost expect something to happen (x-factor). He is deceptively fast, his body is ready to play AFL and in a supportive environment, surrounded by other stars like Fyfe, Bennell, Hill and Walters, he'd prosper imo. But he's not going to rack up 30+ disposals week in, week out and he will make plenty of mistakes early on because he seems a bit of a risk taker. He's had some injuries this year which have impacted his form but as an under-ager he was amazing (not dissimilar to Balic and I think that's going to work out ok).

But I still wouldn't mind if we got McCluggage or McGrath instead because all three will almost certainly be extremely good players. Hugh is a rare outside midfielder that can score heavily. McGrath could become the general in defence. And SPS could very well become the most creative inside mid in the game.

I get the knocks on him, but I still like SPS over the others because I don't think Blakely is a replacement for (2015) Mundy. We've been throwing Hill in the middle this year to provide some much needed extra class but I still think his strength is as a predominantly outside mid leaning defensively. We need a good distributor in the thick of it. Someone that can sit behind the stoppage to read what is going on and act defensively or offensively depending on what happens. I don't see anyone else on our list who is capable of that role once Mundy leaves (and Mundy hasn't been the best at it this year either). And the only reason I'd see that more valuable than a potential great half back like McGrath is that Tucker and even Weller could very well become great distributing half backs in a similar mould. If McGrath was a fair bit taller I'd strongly consider him as a better choice over SPS and others but he's not. I'd also take McCluggage in a heart beat but with Brad Hill likely coming our way at some point we are going to improve our class on the outside anyway. Brodie and Ainsworth don't really fill gaps on our list worth that kind of currency imo.

I'm also not completely against taking an English or possibly Marshall with our first pick but I'd want to make sure they are capable of filling the need we have within the mix of players already on our list (plus those likely to come - McCarthy, B.Hill etc).

TL;DR - If McGrath was 192cm+ he'd fit our biggest need perfectly but at only 179cm I think a good distributor in congestion (eg SPS) might be a more valuable option to use our pick 3 on. Or failing that some height and skills.
Thanks. Great post.

Well I'd like C Cox (Cedric) as well personally. Imagine what you could do with two Cox.

It'd be pretty simple. You'd play one in the middle, and one down back - both in their natural positions.

There's also a B (Brennan) Cox available this draft, who also plays down back, and is a much bigger prospect. He was U18 AA this year. So if you're going to take two Cox, i'd go with the bigger one that fits a need, and then the one with the most x-factor, but that's just me.

Yes and no. The good players with height or multiple points of difference and elite skills, yes.

The ones with elite kicks but major questions marks in other areas can be had. Sure, pick 60 is a cut off where you can probably say you're not going to get a player past that point (in fact often the draft peters out by then). But you can absolutely find good kicks past the 30s, into the 40s and occasionally in the rookie draft. Caleb Daniel, Riley Bonner, Sam Llyod, etc, hell we picked up Nyhuis who is by all reports is a very good kick as a rookie. I don't really agree with the notion smalls in the back end aren't going to make a difference - you just have to prioritise the right attributes and pick the right ones (now on to the recruiting team).
depends how you see it...

For now we have picks 3, 39 and 57 and 75, 93 and 111. Hopefully a pick 40-45 if mayne or clarke leaves as a free Agent. If we dont get that pick 40-45 pick, Picks 3 and 39 should be used on best available. Picks 57 and 73 for Darcy Cameron and Mason Shaw. Then the last 2 picks on a rookie up grade and a psd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back