List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't Jaeger a chance to come to Freo?? I don't understand the whole Melbourne thing.

They have largely talked about Saints and Carlton, who typically make a lot of noise when they are keen on someone. It doesn't always make them right, but the media will grab at the low-hanging fruit, especially if a player hasn't nominated a preferred destination.

Apparently his girlfriend lives there. Also for some young people the chance to live in what is often voted as the most liveable city in the world is quite a temptation. I know I like living there when I was in my 20's. Imagine doing it as a well paid athlete? Whats not to like?

Fair call, home of football, too. Less travel. Playing more regular on the MCG. F%$K.... It's just annoying (probably) that, yet again, we don't have "go home" factor. Hill doesn't count.. I'm not much for him coming back. Unless he recaptures his 2013 form.

Apparently his girlfriend lives there. Also for some young people the chance to live in what is often voted as the most liveable city in the world is quite a temptation. I know I like living there when I was in my 20's. Imagine doing it as a well paid athlete? Whats not to like?

Depends how you feel about cold weather and going to the beach.

I can imagine doing recovery at St Kilda beach in July would be one of life's most miserable experiences.

Depends how you feel about cold weather and going to the beach.
which is why I moved back, the beach lifestyle in Perth was more important to me but thats not going to be the case for everyone. The arts and culture, the food and overall cosmopolitan vibe of Melbourne is second to none and you can get to Sydney in a couple of hours.

which is why I moved back, the beach lifestyle in Perth was more important to me but thats not going to be the case for everyone. The arts and culture, the food and overall cosmopolitan vibe of Melbourne is second to none and you can get to Sydney in a couple of hours.
Although the weather we are having at the moment.....hmmm

Also its pure numbers. Over half the clubs are Melbourne clubs. If you're getting an offer its more than 50% likely to be coming from a Melbourne club. They are also bidding against each other whereas its far more rare for each of the two clubs in each other city to have the same needs at the same time (and hence be bidding up a players contract value). Plus the last 10 or 12 years the weakest clubs in terms of performance and power are almost all Melbourne based clubs (prepared to offer more for talent)

Further to the above, I'm sure O'Meara, would have no real objection to going to a Perth club if an offer was on the table. But there is no way, in our case at least, we would be prepared to offer the same money and years as Melbourne based clubs that have weaker midfields either now or going forward. (I.E. Their need makes the risk, his injury history, more worthwhile.), talk of girlfriends living in Victoria non-withstanding.
This is presupposing that either Perth clubs had chips they are prepared to toss in (we won't trade pick 3) or have at all (WC)

Swallow actually excites me a bit more than O'Meara. He is so damn silky.

The injury risk is still there obviously but it seems Jaeger is Vic or bust, whereas Swallow perhaps not.

Rotham 30 disp in a flogging from Swans.

Up the other end Logue 33 disp.

Would love us to get one of these guys but seems unlikely unless we trade into the late first/second round.

If Gold coast can offer Mick enough money then we should get one or two of their second round picks for him, then swap them with our third for a pick in the top ten.
Sorry, I normally agree with you, but the above post is massively off base. Barlow will be lucky to get an early third round pick in reality. Not sure how some overate our players to such ridiculous amounts. There have been very few 28 year olds get multiple second round picks since free agency full stop. If you look at from their (Gold Coast) perspective why would they bring a player who would actually make their midfield kicking worse. It would be like someone saying we should trade two second round draft picks for an older version of Levi Greenwood. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I normally agree with you, but the above post is massively off base. Barlow will be lucky to get an early third round pick in reality. Not sure how some overate our players to such ridiculous amounts. There have been very few 28 year olds get multiple second round picks since free agency full stop. If you look at from their (Gold Coast) perspective why would they bring a player who would actually make their midfield kicking worse. It would be like someone saying we should trade two second round draft picks for an older version of Levi Greenwood. Not gonna happen.
They have no midfielders. They want to play finals. They have to buy mature bodies with their 7 picks inside the top 40.

Swallow actually excites me a bit more than O'Meara. He is so damn silky.

The injury risk is still there obviously but it seems Jaeger is Vic or bust, whereas Swallow perhaps not.
Heard the latest on David Swallow? Filthy at GC, wants to go to North, apparently hes open to going home but his preference is to play with his brother.

Essendon winning good for Freo in terms of SPS being available. New need Brisbane to lose by a good margin. Can't see Brisbane over looking McCluggage with pick 1. Though if they get a priority then they'll have both.

Essendon winning good for Freo in terms of SPS being available. New need Brisbane to lose by a good margin. Can't see Brisbane over looking McCluggage with pick 1. Though if they get a priority then they'll have both.
Came here to say the same thing. Throws things up in the air a little. Either way i think we will get a good player with pick 3. Sometimes it is better to sit back and what cards are left in the table.

T.english will do for me, if sps available then bonus.

They have no midfielders. They want to play finals. They have to buy mature bodies with their 7 picks inside the top 40.
Barlow's trade value is next to nill. Why would a club seek to bring in a player with suspect disposal? Unfortunately Barlow will at best be a spar parts man who fills a short term need. Third round draft pick is the deadset most I could see a getting for a player who has two to three years max left in his career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back