List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, I would be against it. We can do better than a mature aged VFL player with suspect shoulders. Especially given our postion and likelyhood to chase youth.

Kangas had their chance to deal.

HEYTRUEROO

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seriously, he has no value and I wouldn't take his salary on (roughly 400k)

By all reports he is chasing a 3 or 4 year deal.
4 year deal isn't too bad I'd think considering he is still only 25.
$400k is about twice what he is worth though so that's fair enough.
Yeah I'm spewing we didn't deal him when you guys were chasing him. Oh well.

4 year deal isn't too bad I'd think considering he is still only 25.
$400k is about twice what he is worth though so that's fair enough.
Yeah I'm spewing we didn't deal him when you guys were chasing him. Oh well.
He is 26 in November and missed about 100 games so far through injury/form - that is chopping block material, not 4 year extension.

Unfortunately for North, he has hit the wall as soon as the pen hit the paper.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, I would be against it. We can do better than a mature aged VFL player with suspect shoulders. Especially given our postion and likelyhood to chase youth.

Kangas had their chance to deal.

But what if Fremantle agreed to trade in Black and pay the rest of his salary IF North give that freed up salary to Chris Mayne as a free agent deal?
North get a fine citizen, and a contested forward who might kick straight again.
Fremantle get a forward who might come good, and a high draft pick as compensation.

Mayne gets a huge salary at a new club, which would be good compensation for leaving his home state and the club he loves. Black gets a second chance to be an AFL player and to come home.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
But what if Fremantle agreed to trade in Black and pay the rest of his salary IF North give that freed up salary to Chris Mayne as a free agent deal?
North get a fine citizen, and a contested forward who might kick straight again.
Fremantle get a forward who might come good, and a high draft pick as compensation.

Mayne gets a huge salary at a new club, which would be good compensation for leaving his home state and the club he loves. Black gets a second chance to be an AFL player and to come home.

The AFL would be all over it. That deal massively favours North. Thy get rid of the spud. For a guy with kicking yips. Not long ago Lindsay Thomas couldn't kick straight to save himself. He turned it around. It's possible Mayne does too. Though no superstar, he's a solid player in a 22.

Unless we take Black for just the 1 year, that I could live with. If we extend his contract we are stupid.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The AFL would be all over it. That deal massively favours North. Thy get rid of the spud. For a guy with kicking yips. Not long ago Lindsay Thomas couldn't kick straight to save himself. He turned it around. It's possible Mayne does too. Though no superstar, he's a solid player in a 22.

Unless we take Black for just the 1 year, that I could live with. If we extend his contract we are stupid.

I actually thought it favoured us, and that the Roos would be the stumbling point, considering Mayne is a free agent anyway.
Black for two years would be fair - gives him a chance to turn it around.

To get pick #4 would be pretty special, depends on the Black trade though

Dormammu

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2009
Out of sight, out of mind
AFL Club
Fremantle

I like your thinking, very Machiavellian. The only stumbling block would be the AFL and what compensation they'd give. Sure, there's bands, but they're a law unto themselves when it comes to transparency and accountability.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
GC should recruit some hard nosed players to bolster their midfield and provide some stability and leadership. MDB and Barlow would be great for them since they are losing JOM and Prestia. Will take a while for drafted replacements to come through and in the meantime Barlow and MDB can be inside mid/tagging for them. GC giving a 2nd rounder up for them to satisfy Hawthorn for Brad Hill in a three way trade could be good for all clubs.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
GC should recruit some hard nosed players to bolster their midfield and provide some stability and leadership. MDB and Barlow would be great for them since they are losing JOM and Prestia. Will take a while for drafted replacements to come through and in the meantime Barlow and MDB can be inside mid/tagging for them. GC giving a 2nd rounder up for them to satisfy Hawthorn for Brad Hill in a three way trade could be good for all clubs.
De Boer is a free agent, so essentially you are proposing they trade a second round pick for Barlow. That's not going to happen.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just watching the pre game interview on Fox with Ross who says that 'we're aiming to get a couple through the door; it's well documented McCarthy and Hill if we can lock and load that'.

I only want Hill if we get well unders for him, ridiculous to pay value for him this year

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
God damn last game of the year making me re-evaluate Ibbotson and De Boer... is Ibbotson still contracted?

De Boer has an incredible football brain with major physical limitations - I find him more vital than Mzungu, Suban and C. Pearce put together. Maybe we can get something reasonable for him, or we keep him for composure.

johnnomac

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
God damn last game of the year making me re-evaluate Ibbotson and De Boer... is Ibbotson still contracted?

De Boer has an incredible football brain with major physical limitations - I find him more vital than Mzungu, Suban and C. Pearce put together. Maybe we can get something reasonable for him, or we keep him for composure.

You beat me to it - at least on Ibbo. I think that he still has a place in Freo's defensive line-up.

De Boer and the other 3 you mentioned are really all depth players. I would rank them MDB>Suban>Clancee>Mz. You would think that only one (at best) would be on the payroll next year.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Don't think GU and Clancee have any worth left, Suban would MDB is a free agent.

I think we played a variation of the old game plan with Ibbo often loose at the back? He played well still but is Lyon looking for something more going forward and that game plan was just the best chance to give us a win for Pav.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
You beat me to it - at least on Ibbo. I think that he still has a place in Freo's defensive line-up.

De Boer and the other 3 you mentioned are really all depth players. I would rank them MDB>Suban>Clancee>Mz. You would think that only one (at best) would be on the payroll next year.

I think Suban is the only one of that lot contracted. You wouldn't think Freo would pay him out to delist.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ibbo is contracted.

johnnomac

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Suban is the only one of that lot contracted. You wouldn't think Freo would pay him out to delist.

At the risk of copping abuse from the (many, many) Suban-haters, I agree with this, and would add that as depth he brings some necessary aggression and mad-hardness. Discipline and disposal, however ... :huh:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

De Boer is a free agent isn't he? I think he'd have value to another club but will unlikely get us any value. I'm not sure he'll get many opportunities next year with so many coming back in to our team.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
At the risk of copping abuse from the (many, many) Suban-haters, I agree with this, and would add that as depth he brings some necessary aggression and mad-hardness. Discipline and disposal, however ... :huh:
Problem is he's the biggest faux tough guy ever on the footy field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back