Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2007
Great Southern Land
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Bears
We had the choice of lever or Weller and chose Weller,mistake IMO as our list was screaming out for tall key position talent.If we had Lever and APearce lining up in our back six in 2017,you'd be pretty happy.
I think Weller will be really good and certainly not disappointed we scored him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for Lever at that pick.

I think Lever would have definitely been more of a needs based pick.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was totally amazed at the time, and so was all the other club recruiters.
Don't know about future, it does look better if lever and Mitch with us now, but then again Ross might not even give them a game if freo doing well.

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we don't draft someone from the Perth colts team this year I'll be annoyed. They continue to dominate in the colts. This week Cody Kickett with 20 disposals and 4 goals and Cody Ninyette with 27 disposals. Quinton Narkle didn't play. Crazy talented kids!

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
In my dream - we somehow butter up Old Man McGovern, and go hard after one of the McGovern boys, probably Mitch, try and get him on the "come home" factor. Then when we've snared him and have dad all wrapped up as part of the club, we sell the "play with your brother for the team you loved as a kid and the one your old man played for" and we get Jez across.

Haven't really thought what we'd give up to make it happen... but that's why it's a dream.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Oh all the typos?? Thanks Gramma nazi. How do you suggest to improve a list by being the last few picks in each round then? Cmon Eddie the expert please let us all know how you can improve a list without obvious risks
How would you turn our 2013 list into a premier and a team that continues to contest with just the late draft picks
The strategy to get Bennell and Yarran, plus try and prise McCarthy from GCS seems fairly clear, plus we do have Apeness in the right demographics to make an impact.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
What we made a GF in 2013 but had no currency to upgrade picks getting rid of some players from a losing GF? You are kidding right? If you get to a GF and don't win do you sit on your hands or improve your squad??
You are kidding right? Sorry but what the hell do you expect for players like Barlow, Johnson (who could have left as a free agent), Mayne, Suban and Gu?.You have to be living in deluded land to think clubs would want to trade up to get these players when they could simply sign superior players of the same age as free agents.

We actually did improve the talent in our squad by signing Bennell. A long way from sitting on our hands.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

We need to remember that our recruiters did an excellent job at recruiting mature age players overlooked by everyone else and for long periods.

Ballas, Barlow, Mzungu, Spurr specifically have done our club proud.

What we probably need to be upset over is our development. Now is that the recruiters faults?

We brought in some mature agers and on the back of a rebuild from 2008 had a real crack. Not a token window but a real crack and unfortunately came against a period of time in that the current Hawks are perceived as the G.O.A.T

Finding over looked mature age players like Barlow, Mzungu, Spurr and Ballas can obviously be a gamble. Now when we are losing these flaws are somewhat highlighted. I mean was Barlow ever 'quick and agile'?

We have a dark period ahead of us, but I'm sure we'll continue to unearth gems and find that next mature ager that steps up and serves us as well as some of the other blokes.

I'm looking forward to seeing Collins for a start.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Wasn't the Lloyd who went to the Cats responsible for player development? I thought he implemented some kind of academy for us.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Looks great.

There are definitely some very good options for us early in the draft if SPS gets taken by someone else. And even at our second pick there'll be some very good talls available.

Just remember we don't have a second round pick at that this stage as we traded it to the GC - at this stage our second pick is late 30s or early 40s. Agree if we had a pick in the second round then we are still in line for some of the better KP players this year.

Assuming we had a top 4 pick, I think if SPS gets taken we might look at:
  • Harrison McCraedie - Key defender (195cm) probably a CHB, good mark, decision making, skills, side step that means he brings an offensive side as well as his ability to intercept. Probably the best KP tall in the draft. Linked to the GWS academy, so would have to outbid. Type as a replacement for McPharlin.
  • Jack Bowes - silky skilled midfielder (187cm) with good evasion and side step. Linked to the Brisbane academy so would have to outbid. Type to add more skill to our outside midfield.
  • Hugh McCluggage - Inside midfielder (185cm) who also rolls forward. Racks up the possessions with no immediate weaknesses. Arguably has had the best year to date of the all the players in this years draft. Downside is not real elite quality.

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
Did anyone hear the rosich interview on abc sports talk? Apparently he said we are in talks with multiple players about coming to us next season. His words were "It appears we are a destination club".

More reasons to finish dead last on the ladder. First pick in the Pre Season and Rookie Draft. Leverage at the trade table.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just remember we don't have a second round pick at that this stage as we traded it to the GC - at this stage our second pick is late 30s or early 40s. Agree if we had a pick in the second round then we are still in line for some of the better KP players this year.

Assuming we had a top 4 pick, I think if SPS gets taken we might look at:
  • Harrison McCraedie - Key defender (195cm) probably a CHB, good mark, decision making, skills, side step that means he brings an offensive side as well as his ability to intercept. Probably the best KP tall in the draft. Linked to the GWS academy, so would have to outbid. Type as a replacement for McPharlin.
  • Jack Bowes - silky skilled midfielder (187cm) with good evasion and side step. Linked to the Brisbane academy so would have to outbid. Type to add more skill to our outside midfield.
  • Hugh McCluggage - Inside midfielder (185cm) who also rolls forward. Racks up the possessions with no immediate weaknesses. Arguably has had the best year to date of the all the players in this years draft. Downside is not real elite quality.
2 of those are academy players that we have zero chance of getting. I like McCluggage, he could be a #1 pick but not sure we need another inside mid.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh all the typos?? Thanks Gramma nazi. How do you suggest to improve a list by being the last few picks in each round then? Cmon Eddie the expert please let us all know how you can improve a list without obvious risks
How would you turn our 2013 list into a premier and a team that continues to contest with just the late draft picks
Your argument seriously makes zero sense. Are you saying when we were looking to contend for a Premiership we should have traded veteran players? While at the same time we should have been going hard for youth to rebuild at the time we were looking to improve our list to win an elusive premiership? Trading Johno, Barlow, Mayne or any veteran player two years ago would have been seriously friggin absurd as their trade value would have been pretty minimal considering players their age could have already picked up as free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back