List Mgmt. 2016 National Draft - Rookie Draft Monday 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who know there draft this year , if we lose Schade and Leslie , who are the high KPD in the draft.

For those who know there draft this year , if we lose Schade and Leslie , who are the high KPD in the draft.

Griffin Logue - built like Steve May, going ok in senior WAFL - draft range 15-30
Maibaum - rated best key defender in Victoria - All-Australian - 25-40
Brennan Cox - South Australian - All Australian - 30-50

So my personal opinion at this stage of how the top 4 picks may shake out (assuming/wishing/praying that Bowes doesn't get a bid before our pick):

1. Bombers - Brodie
2. Lions - McLuggage
3. Freo - Petrevski-Seton
4. Suns - Ainsworth

To me that is the top tier before there is a gap to the next tier of non-academy players (McGrath, Marshall, English, Venables) so 4 is a great spot to be drafting from as you just wait and take whoever falls to us.

The interesting thing is whether we can sell the club to any of these guys, if you were an elite talent and the Suns came knocking with 6 years of s**t football and guns wanting out it wouldn't be the most attractive of destinations, would suggest that some player managers would be threatening their player will go home at the end of the rookie contract if you draft us

The interesting thing is whether we can sell the club to any of these guys, if you were an elite talent and the Suns came knocking with 6 years of s**t football and guns wanting out it wouldn't be the most attractive of destinations, would suggest that some player managers would be threatening their player will go home at the end of the rookie contract if you draft us

Glad to have the old Iva back :thumbsu:

Fortunately none of the players listed are Vic Metro kids so at least there should be no Melbourne go home factor.

Country kids are pretty resilient and have a better sense of loyalty to a club/community than city kids.

And 2 hours later the rule is changed.

Draft loophole closed.

Each club can only use X amount of draft picks as free spots available on the list

So in other words you can't use 4 draft picks to draft 1 player

I guess you trade away anything you don't want to use :D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-abolishes-draft-loophole-that-allowed-clubs-to-gain-an-advantage-by-stockpiling-backend-picks/news-story/112f1b7e18eda1f3127038e1a48a1477?from=herald sun_rss[/QUOTE

So in other words you can't use 4 draft picks to draft 1 player

Yes you still can use 4 draft picks is how I read it.....but if you still need a pick or 2 to get to the required number on your list, you get to use those picks at the end of the draft.

Last edited:
That's not exactly how I read the AFL website on the issue.....YES, you can only have enough draft picks for the vacancies on your list BUT if you require 2 or 3 picks to accrue enough points for an Academy player, then you get your required pick at the end of the draft to get to the correct number of players on your list. I hope I've worded that right.:rolleyes:

"The AFL has made one change to its bidding system that will come into immediate effect this year, with clubs no longer able to access 'hidden picks' during the draft.

It means clubs will only be able to enter the draft with the number of selections that matches the available primary list positions at that time.

Last year some clubs entered the draft with more picks than they had available spots on their list. The extra picks were purely held so they could pay for academy prospects that attracted early bids.

The rule tweak means if a club needs to use multiple selections in matching a bid, and therefore require extra selections to be filled on its list, the new draft picks would be given to the club at the back of the draft so not to impact other clubs' picks."

That's not exactly how I read the AFL website on the issue.....YES, you can only have enough draft picks for the vacancies on your list BUT if you require 2 or 3 picks to accrue enough points for an Academy player, then you get your required pick at the end of the draft to get to the correct number of players on your list. I hope I've worded that right.:rolleyes:

"The AFL has made one change to its bidding system that will come into immediate effect this year, with clubs no longer able to access 'hidden picks' during the draft.

It means clubs will only be able to enter the draft with the number of selections that matches the available primary list positions at that time.

Last year some clubs entered the draft with more picks than they had available spots on their list. The extra picks were purely held so they could pay for academy prospects that attracted early bids.

The rule tweak means if a club needs to use multiple selections in matching a bid, and therefore require extra selections to be filled on its list, the new draft picks would be given to the club at the back of the draft so not to impact other clubs' picks."

So 4 vacancies , you use 4 picks for 3 academy players... and you get the last pick in the draft to pick whoever is left.

Yep.That's how I read it....
What happens though if you have 8 picks and 6 vacancies? Clubs will probably delist their fringe players and redraft them at the very end. AFL will react just the same and block that loophole.
Have been keeping an eye on the Suns' draft for obvious reasons and real amateurish move by the AFL to bring it in straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens though if you have 8 picks and 6 vacancies? Clubs will probably delist their fringe players and redraft them at the very end. AFL will react just the same and block that loophole.
Have been keeping an eye on the Suns' draft for obvious reasons and real amateurish move by the AFL to bring it in straight away.

Just another concession the GWS got and no body else

That's a terrible system. their is so many scenarios where it just doesn't actually work

One has to be careful about delisting players and expecting them to just be there. A delisted player is a FA.

Cam Delaney north delisted planned to put on the rookie list..
Geelong swooped in.

Game over
Has he played a game for them ?
Our delisted will be in same boat - but won't get the lifejacket....

Last edited:
Has he played a game for them ?
Our delisted will be in same boat - but won't get the lifejacket....

Delaney has had all sorts of issues this year and barely played any Geelong VFL

If we delist Leslie he'll get a life jacket. Surely something is going on there - they sign Lemmens from his draft year for 2 years based on his 'exposed' form, but haven't re-signed the 200cm KPD after 3 years in the system, and no publicity about it. I suspect he must have already informed the club that he sees opportunity elsewhere and likely has a suitor ready to pick him up.

Delaney has had all sorts of issues this year and barely played any Geelong VFL

If we delist Leslie he'll get a life jacket. Surely something is going on there - they sign Lemmens from his draft year for 2 years based on his 'exposed' form, but haven't re-signed the 200cm KPD after 3 years in the system, and no publicity about it. I suspect he must have already informed the club that he sees opportunity elsewhere and likely has a suitor ready to pick him up.

Leslie one is strange , can only think he wants a move , atm our key backs are May , Thompson , McKenzie , than Day , than Leslie,Schade , so i guess you cant blame him.

After watching our forward line look like a shambles tonight I'm starting to lean towards drafting Ainsworth. We desperately need a gun crumbing forward who actually puts defensive pressure on his opponents. Matera is just stagnated in his career, grant is useless and as much as I love darcy Mac he isn't much of a goal threat. We need a player who is gonna sit in front of lynch and 2mp and pick up those ground balls and slot a goal or 2. Sorely need someone like Ainsworth

Hey all,

I've created a 2017 Official List & Guernsey Number Changes thread, similar to last year's one, to track all retirements, trades, delistings, etc.

Will be stickied at the top of the board till towards the start of the next season. I'll try to keep it updated as frequently as I can.

In addition to this, I've stickied this thread & the trade/FA thread, seeing as these ones will be the main points of discussion over the next few months.

If anyone wants to start up a preseason/offseason type thread over the next few weeks feel free. I'll try to set up a season review thread soon.

After watching our forward line look like a shambles tonight I'm starting to lean towards drafting Ainsworth. We desperately need a gun crumbing forward who actually puts defensive pressure on his opponents. Matera is just stagnated in his career, grant is useless and as much as I love darcy Mac he isn't much of a goal threat. We need a player who is gonna sit in front of lynch and 2mp and pick up those ground balls and slot a goal or 2. Sorely need someone like Ainsworth

I like Ainsworth too but although he's small he's not a crumbing forward - he's a Jamie Elliott type - powerhouse, one out in the goal square & lead up type.

If you put Matera v Ainsworth in competitive work at training he would chew him up and spit him out

I like Ainsworth too but although he's small he's not a crumbing forward - he's a Jamie Elliott type - powerhouse, one out in the goal square & lead up type.

If you put Matera v Ainsworth in competitive work at training he would chew him up and spit him out

I have'nt seen this kid play but to use a pick 4 on a small /medium forward he has to be ******* sublime , considering we have AhChee , Garlett and Matera in the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back