Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Right!

So who do we like?
Which players are Carlton?
Do we go mids or talls?

From what I can gather Bolton wants smart players.....ones that can kick.....ones that fit into the 'Carlton' ethic.
Pretty sure that we're not buying into 'projects' We just want players that will add to the whole.....on and off the field.

Right!

So who do we like?
Do we go mids or talls?

From what I can gather Bolton wants smart players.....ones that can kick.....ones that fit into the 'Hawthorn' ethic.
Pretty sure that we're not buying into 'projects' We just want players that will add to the whole.....on and off the field.
Bring it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-02/u18s-20-young-guns-to-watch-this-year

Must have :

Will Brodie
Midfielder
189cm/82kg
23/8/98
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Brodie enters the championships as one of the best midfielders available in the draft. He's tough, hard and competitive, and wills himself at the ball and contest time after time. He starred for the NAB AFL Academy against two VFL teams in April, and used his size to influence the game at the stoppages. He's keen to use his pace a little more to build his outside game, but Brodie is the type of midfielder who performs week-in, week-out.

Another must have :

Sam Powell-Pepper
Midfielder
186cm/83kg
8/1/98
East Perth/Western Australia

Powell-Pepper won't shirk an issue, which is one of his standout qualities as a player. The hard and tough West Australian attacks the ball with ferocity and likes to push it forward with force. Powell-Pepper has experience already at this level after having a taste of things during last year's carnival for WA.

One to watch in the championships:

Jarrod Berry
Midfielder/half-back
191cm/80kg
5/2/98
North Ballarat Rebels
Vic Country

Berry won All Australian honours last year for his work off half-back for Vic Country, but is likely to be pushed up the ground for this year's carnival. With his height, agility and strength, Berry is best as an inside midfielder who finds the ball and bursts away. He can also push forward to create an awkward match-up near goal or play across centre-half back, and has shown his leadership qualities over the past couple of years. Berry is one of a number of players in the mix as No.1 pick contenders.

If he isn't a nutbag like his older brother, could be a handy pick-up :

Jonty Scharenberg
Midfielder
186cm/80kg
28/8/98
Glenelg/South Australia

You can rely on Scharenberg to find the ball. The midfielder knows where to go to at a stoppage, is comfortable putting his head into dangerous spots to win it, and has sure hands to feed it out. At this stage the Glenelg product, who has already had a fair taste of senior action in the SANFL, is best as an inside midfielder. He's the younger brother of Collingwood defender Matt Scharenberg, who was a top-10 pick in 2013.

Sounds okay in the bio but is worth watching in the championships to get the full picture :

Jack Scrimshaw
Utility
193cm/80kg
4/9/98
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Injuries have restricted Scrimshaw over the past couple of years but a strong championships could rocket him right into the top group of draft prospects. Scrimshaw's height and game sense makes him an appealing prospect for clubs, given he is big enough to hold down a key position but tends to play his best footy through the midfield. The left-footer is precise by foot, steps up in big moments in games and, if a recent Vic Metro trial game is any indication, he looks set for a good carnival.

Needs to grow another 4-5 cms :

Josh Battle
Tall forward
192cm/90kg
1/9/98
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Battle will be Vic Country's main target in attack during the championships and has already proven himself to be a hard-working player. Battle has booted four goals in each of his three TAC Cup appearances this year and is the type of forward to make lead after lead up the ground before getting his hands on the ball. A smooth shot for goal and an elite endurance runner, Battle has some key attributes that should see him have an influence on games.

Right!

So who do we like?
Do we go mids or talls?

From what I can gather Bolton wants smart players.....ones that can kick.....ones that fit into the 'Carlton' ethic.

Players with some real mongrel...

I like the sound of Dylan Clarke & Joseph Atley as inside mids in the 15-35 range (both players have a brother at North Melbourne).

Early days I know, but the board should have a thread where we can discuss potential 2016 draftees.
Champs are upon us and now is as good a time as any, for such discussion.

I haven't got much to add for now but others will.....so.......let's go. :)
With all these bullshit academy picks, and us finishing top 4 :) we'll be lucky if our first pick is in the top 20, ffs!

Another inside mid that's capable of being outside in a similar mould to Gibbs is a must with #8.

In ranking order of preference:

1. Berry
2. Brodie
3. McCluggage
4. Gallucci
5. Sharenberg
6. Powell-Pepper
7. Petrevski-Seton

This draft has huge midfield depth. Probably goes to 30-40 if you hide a few KP players in along the way. Jarrod Berry is my pick in the mound of tall mid who can get his own ball but he's more capable on the outside than Cripps but probably not as elite on the inside although 191 cm plus 80 kg has s similar body shape and height. Could fall to #8 too. Venables and Taranto are also options later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandon Parfitt is a guy I'd love at the blues, check him out...

Boekhorst has not set the world on fire, in fact I'm sure most fans are concerned. No need to get offended about it.
I am not offended just amazed that people are concerned about him given he is not playing.
Did OK against the Tigers
Injured early against the swans but came back and did some good things despite the initial injury looking like he was finished for the day.
Was average against GC and didn't get up for the next week.
Hasn't played the last 7 weeks in the firsts due to injury.
He may not make it but surely it is to make any sort of judgement.

Early days I know, but the board should have a thread where we can discuss potential 2016 draftees.
Champs are upon us and now is as good a time as any, for such discussion.

I haven't got much to add for now but others will.....so.......let's go. :)
Love this thread Harks..

Right!

So who do we like?
Do we go mids or talls?

Jordan Gallucci is one who IMO would potentially be a great addition to our midfield.
184cm quick and powerful good skills. Heard he has a very coachable attitude.
SOS would have a good read on him as he played for Vic Metro last year.

Jack Grimshaw is another mid who could potentially be a great addition
193cm tall goal kicking mid. Has a lovely left foot kick. Also plays for Vic Metro.

Jordan Gallucci is one who IMO would potentially be a great addition to our midfield.
184cm quick and powerful good skills. Heard he has a very coachable attitude.
SOS would have a good read on him as he played for Vic Metro last year.

Jack Grimshaw is another mid who could potentially be a great addition
193cm tall goal kicking mid. Has a lovely left foot kick. Also plays for Vic Metro.
Yeah Galluci will be a ripper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back