Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. If last year is anything to go by, clubs are very reluctant to bid on an academy player with high picks so as to not look to their supporters as though they aren't getting the player they want. Jacob Hopper didn't get bid on until the GC at pick 8 last year.

Heeney Melbourne bid pick 2, Mills Melbourne bid pick 4, would probably bid pick 1 if they held that pick.

Add the chance that GC could well also have 6 from Richmond in exchange for Prestia and that could give them 3 free hits in a row before Bowes is bid on allowing that * , Brisbane and Fremantle don't bid with the first 3 picks .
Tuggers believe they won't need to use pick 6 as going to offer players instead, I think GC will want pick 6

Tuggers believe they won't need to use pick 6 as going to offer players instead, I think GC will want pick 6

GC will want a decent young player. They would rather get a player with a couple of years development in him, as to not have to start again developing another young player. As they will be losing a couple this off-season, and maybe Swallow next year. Ablett is anyones guess. So they'd prefer a young midfielder who can start right away to alleviate the loss of maybe 4 starting mids.

Not likely that Richmond would want give that up. Do they actually have any decent young mids anyway atm? But that's what the Suns want. Short of that, pick 6 for sure.

Just a sidenote guys, not sure Richmond trade plans with GC is suitable for 2016 Draft thread - though happy to discuss thoughts on this somewhere else.

On the Draft - listened to Cal Twomey's Road to the Draft this morning (most recent) and he interviewed 6 x unnamed recruiters re the #1 pick.

3 x said McCluggage
1 x said Brodie
1 x said McGrath
1 x said either Ainsworth, English or McCluggage

Also was mention of Ainsworth or McGrath being a good fit for us.

On the Draft - listened to Cal Twomey's Road to the Draft this morning (most recent) and he interviewed 6 x unnamed recruiters re the #1 pick.

3 x said McCluggage
1 x said Brodie
1 x said McGrath

Thus why it is seen as an "even" draft without a clear #1 players and why it will (hopefully) be a GREAT draft to have a top 5 selection as you may walk away with your preferred choice anyway !!!!!!

With the number of players leaving the GWS/GCS, the academy players and their stockpiled selections it's going to be an eventful trade/draft period.

Thus why it is seen as an "even" draft without a clear #1 players and why it will (hopefully) be a GREAT draft to have a top 5 selection as you may walk away with your preferred choice anyway !!!!!!

With the number of players leaving the GWS/GCS, the academy players and their stockpiled selections it's going to be an eventful trade/draft period.
That depends on whether they would be worthy top 3 candidates in most drafts, and the consensus is out a bit there. With future draft picks in the mix, alongside GWS & GC's stock piles that they need to shift (both players and picks), there are plenty opportunities to exploit with this difference of opinion.

We need to keep Pick 5 at all costs. I'd be happy to let Jaeger et al slip (even to the filth or * urgh) if it meant we went in with a strong hand at the top end of the draft. Would still like to see us pick up Marchbank and Tomlinson for a fair price, however. Then hit up mids at the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting reaction Jimmae. Posters want Stewart who has spent multiple years in the NEAFL with some good numbers of late, and think he will be an upgrade on Levi and Jones, yet question the form/creds of a 17yo starting out at "senior" level.
I've always been hesitant on NEAFL form. I want Stewart on the back of how he attacks the game and his skill set. He needs a good pre-season and a little light at the end of the tunnel to give him a little pep, assuming he has enough between the ears to work within our structure.

I was very down on the acquisitions of Lamb, Phillips, Jaksch and Whiley as people used NEAFL numbers to pump up their potential, and have been similarly critical with Tomlinson and Steele. It's somewhere between VFL and TAC, and frankly the VFL hasn't been flash lately as training and nutrition techniques have gone up a notch recently.

I've always been hesitant on NEAFL form. I want Stewart on the back of how he attacks the game and his skill set. He needs a good pre-season and a little light at the end of the tunnel to give him a little pep, assuming he has enough between the ears to work within our structure.

I was very down on the acquisitions of Lamb, Phillips, Jaksch and Whiley as people used NEAFL numbers to pump up their potential, and have been similarly critical with Tomlinson and Steele. It's somewhere between VFL and TAC, and frankly the VFL hasn't been flash lately as training and nutrition techniques have gone up a notch recently.

In fairness KJ n Whileys form have transferred over to the VFL

3 x said McCluggage
1 x said Brodie
1 x said McGrath

I've gone through the top 5 candidates again to figure out which one would be best suited to us

Andrew McGrath is now my favourite, Knightmare wrote in his strengths - Lifts during most important stages of game, is one stood out for me a lot

I know its just my opinion, but we could defs use these sorts of players

FWIW I to would be wrapt with one of Brodie, McClugguge,SPS,Aisworth

Pick #23

Hoping Jordan Galluci or Jonty Scharenberg

Also if we do not sell the farm to get Marchbank, I would enjoy the services of will Josh Rotham or Brennan Cox

If all 4 have gone Patrick Kerr come on down

Would love to get another very early pick because I think McGrath is the type of player we need. A real dasher who can play onball and has leadership written all over him (was VM Co-Captain). We need the dash and I want to keep adding leaders to the club (we’ve got some rippers already with Cripps, Weitering & Docherty). McGrath could last to GCs pick 9, or they might even get an even earlier pick for Prestia/JOM. How could we get their pick 9? Seriously, Ainsworth and McGrath would be awesome pick ups given our lack of young midfielders right now. I just have a gut feel McGrath will make the grade, so Mal maybe this is where a Gibbs trade makes sense.

3 x said McCluggage
1 x said Brodie
1 x said McGrath

Interesting, I just posted how I think Ainsworth and McGrath would both be great for us, and how ideally we'd get both, somehow.

Seriously, in terms of young talented midfielder types we'd go from...

Cripps and Cuningham

to ...

Cripps, Cuningham, Ainsworth and McGrath

Then add another highly rated midfielder next year with our first pick.

Pick #23

Hoping Jordan Galluci or Jonty Scharenberg

Also if we do not sell the farm to get Marchbank, I would enjoy the services of will Josh Rotham or Brennan Cox

If all 4 have gone Patrick Kerr come on down
I'd be hoping on Willem Drew - since Mitchy Robby left, we need a feisty redhead at stoppages.

(*bit racist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back