Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question- if these other blokes can do what Brodie does but with more composure, what are they doing in the 4th round?

Mathieson was talked up by so many last year as a top 12 pick. Rated him mid 2nd and he went somewhere in the late 30's. Don't get me wrong, Brodie is much better than Mathieson and will probably play 150 +, but as previously mentioned, many of the best, pure inside mids are later picks. Clubs generally look for KPP or mids, with class in the top 10

Never said they have more composure, suggested you get better bang for your buck. Drew, Clarke even Jye Bolton with a late pick

Brodie looks a bit one-dimensional for my liking. He's good at what he does, but the best inside mids have the ability to play forward or back if the team needs them to (or if they're getting tagged out of a game). I don't see Brodie being able to do that.

Taranto, on the other hand, looks to be able to play at HB, HF or in the middle. Watching his highlights, I can't help but be reminded of Jack Silvagni a bit. A shorter, quicker version, for sure, but he looks to have that natural vision and composure, good hands, great agility and plenty of courage.

Timmy T would be my choice.

Serious question- if these other blokes can do what Brodie does but with more composure, what are they doing in the 4th round?

Could be our next Marcus Davies, Nick Holman, Rohan Kerr, or Caleb Tiller.

Brodie looks a bit one-dimensional for my liking. He's good at what he does, but the best inside mids have the ability to play forward or back if the team needs them to (or if they're getting tagged out of a game). I don't see Brodie being able to do that.

Taranto, on the other hand, looks to be able to play at HB, HF or in the middle. Watching his highlights, I can't help but be reminded of Jack Silvagni a bit. A shorter, quicker version, for sure, but he looks to have that natural vision and composure, good hands, great agility and plenty of courage.

Lennon was a lot more versatile than the one dimensional Patty Cripps.

Brodie is similar to Cripps in a lot of ways Contested beast,can go forward and take a good mark, poor kick at goal.

I still like TT. Big contest ball winner on top of being good around goal.

My favourite is Anisworth (purely from highlights).

Where is he expected to go?

So basically this is a very even draft? How many players in the top tier? Are we gunna get a kid who was a bees dick off being number 1 at pick 5?

likewise......and keeps the Italian connection going as well.

Could be our next Marcus Davies, Nick Holman, Rohan Kerr, or Caleb Tiller.

p03lcphh.jpg

So basically this is a very even draft? How many players in the top tier? Are we gunna get a kid who was a bees dick off being number 1 at pick 5?

Reckon most drafts have a couple of A+ players at the top, half a dozen As, a dozen Bs and then from pick 20 onwards you're rolling the dice a bit.

This year there's no real A+ level players, As down to pick 8 or so, then Bs through to pick 25-30.

Lennon was a lot more versatile than the one dimensional Patty Cripps.

Brodie is similar to Cripps in a lot of ways Contested beast,can go forward and take a good mark, poor kick at goal.

I still like TT. Big contest ball winner on top of being good around goal.
Brodie looked a really good contested mark in the tac grand final, went forward took some marks (then shanked the kick) but also some nice marks around the ground, he looks to have strong hands to me.

No to sps simply because he's from WA when there will he Victorians available.

Also not sure the same but we have Pickett, Sumner, boek who could play that role if we choose to rewire them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to sps simply because he's from WA when there will he Victorians available.

Also not sure the same but we have Pickett, Sumner, boek who could play that role if we choose to rewire them?
I might be in the minority here, but personally I just want us to take the best player. Obviously "best player" would incorporate psychological testing to determine such things as mental strength and go-home factor, but even if we rate someone only marginally better I still want us to take the best regardless of state of origin.

I know it might sound weird with what we just went through with Gibbs, but if you lose a very good player you should be compensated well. We don't really have a history of losing players to go-home factor, especially to WA.

Top 8-9 are all very good (including Academy prospects) McLugg and McGrath probably a slight step above.

We'll get a 200 gamer at #5 for sure.

not sure if this has been asked previously but do we bid for bowes at 5 if lions dont at three? also is young jars a genuine second round pick and would we bid for him if others dont slip down the order?

I recon GC will grab him before Bowes and Scrimshaw they will have a very good draft i feel.

Think you could be right. With Picks 4, 6, 8 and 10 they can address multiple needs and will probably base their picks on who other clubs in between would take. I reckon it may go:

1. Essendon - McLuggage
2. GWS - McGrath
3. Brisbane - Petrevski-Seton
4. Gold Coast - Brodie
5. Gold Coast - Bowes (match Carlton bid)
6. Carlton - Taranto
7. Fremantle - English
8. Gold Coast - Scrimshaw
9. Sydney - Marshall
10. Gold Coast - Ainsworth

Brisbane have grunt but lack class. Reckon SPS is the best option for them.

GC will take Brodie first if they don't have to use 4 on Bowes, because he's the only gun inside mid in the top 10. They'll have options for outside types with later picks.

Feel would be silly not to take the local boy in English, unless SPS slides to 7. Sydney will go a tall forward I suspect, as they'll need to set up a post Buddy/Tippett forward line for when they retire or get pushed out (to shed salary space).

not sure if this has been asked previously but do we bid for bowes at 5 if lions dont at three? also is young jars a genuine second round pick and would we bid for him if others dont slip down the order?
I think we are a very good chance to bid on both Bowes (if not already bid on) and Setterfield.

Yeah Ainsworth would be another in the equation. Brodie, Taranto, SPS, and Ainsworth and maybe even Scrimshaw for pick 5. 2 or 3 of them likely to be gone before we have our pick.

If Skittles is goneski (pity as I would have liked to have seen him given a run) then I will be left with only JGM.
I have reservations over both SPS and SPP (only based on what I read here) - is it just me as the word potential just doesn't sit well with me - at 5 I want guaranteed 200 gamers who find their own ball - at 25 sure take potential guns who might win us games

Anyone able to allay my fears over either SPS or SPP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back