Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure Fagan has any power with regards to recruitment, surely you leave that in the hands of people who are paid to do that job. In saying that, I've been hearing for a long time (before Fagan) that the Lions like Ainsworth.
Sorry to intrude guys but there was talk on the Lions board as far back as last year that our recruiters love Ainsworth so expect us to select him at pick 3 if available which would most likely leave Brodie to slide to you guys as I reckon the Suns would go with SPS or Taranto over Brodie if they don't have to match a bid for Bowes with pick 4.

Brodie is a must. We need very specific types for our midfield, we need to be able to compete at every clearance rotating Cripps and another big body, and then need to be able to go into beast mode with both in there together, adding outside run (murphy, pickett types). Brodie provides an automatic need for us, in that he knows how to win his own footy.

Agreed 100%. IF we can win more contested ball, we'll be a much better side in 2017. Also imagine Cripps would be knocking the door down for a Brodie-type to be right next to him.

As mentioned previously, we have picks 5, 25, 48, 63, 66, 70, 81, 99 and 117.

Curiously, Andrew McKay had this to say about our picks:

"Our picks are reasonably spread out, which is a good tactic to have heading into the draft..."

Seems at odds with what we did last year, and with what we were **rumoured** to be attempting to repeat this year.

Best available at #5

Either a KPF or mid with best foot skills and some pace at #25

Whichever it is we don't get above with #48

Then two project type risky picks & 1 smoky who is 19-23 from a state league who can play senior footy next year

"Our picks are reasonably spread out, which is a good tactic to have heading into the draft..."

Seems at odds with what we did last year, and with what we were **rumoured** to be attempting to repeat this year.

It depends on the draft. This draft has some real depth, having picks in every round is a very good drafting strategy.

It depends on the draft. This draft has some real depth, having picks in every round is a very good drafting strategy.

Based on what one of Barass, Smurf or EP said, cant remember which one it was now, SOS apparently thinks this draft has real depth too. While I would have preferred two or three first round picks, if the draft is as deep as SOS believes, then hopefully we can select the right players with our later picks. Has to be mids at 5 and 25 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year was a top heavy draft. Not muvh after the top 20, although the top 20 was elite. This year is a much more rounded year, goes a lot deeper. Makes sense to have a spread of picks this year

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Based on what one of Barass, Smurf or EP said, cant remember which one it was now, SOS apparently thinks this draft has real depth too. While I would have preferred two or three first round picks, if the draft is as deep as SOS believes, then hopefully we can select the right players with our later picks. Has to be mids at 5 and 25 though.

Only if they are there, I can imagine all of our preferred midfield targets being gone at pick 25. unless we rate someone like Dylan Clarke.

Twomey's article about "who your club is targetting with it's first pick" suggests

Essendon - 1. McLuggage
GWS - 2. McGrath
Gold Coast - 3. Bowes
Brisbane - 4. Ainsworth
Carlton - 5. Brodie

Fremantle - 7. Petrevski-Seton
Sydney - 9. Logue
WCE - 12. Taranto (did say may get taken earlier)
Adelaide - 13. Simpkin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think there is a very clear top tier in this draft.

McLuggage, McGrath
Brodie, Taranto, Bowes, SPS, Setterfield, Perryman, Ainsiworth, Scrimshaw

That's a very distinct top 10 for mine (seven without Academy players)

Then after that its a bit more of a wider pool. Types like Venables, Logue, English Marshall or Rotham could go anywhere from 11-20 and types like Powell-Pepper, Simpkin, Gallucci could go anywhere from 15-25

Very interesting draft

But a clear top 10 for mine.

And Logue isnt in it.

Not convinced about that top 10, I will have a better handle on it when I have finished my analysis. Right here, I have Logue in the top 10

I rate Cox, Berry and Sproule in the top 25

I have Gallucci outside top 25

So basically we need one of GWS or Brisbane to bid on Bowes?

Would mean only Mcluggage, Mcgrath and Ainsworth (and Bowes) off the table before our pick?

You'd think GC would be all over Brodie as he is mature and they have so many other kids that will be coming in.

Last edited:
Brodie looks like the player we need to help cripps that allows us to focus on outside mids later this draft or in nect yrs draft.

Also like Daniel Venables or Jordan Gallucci for pick 25

not sure what we will pick at 3rd rd or 4th rd.

Can someone pls clarify how the bidding affects the remaining draft order...
E.g GC has 4 6 8 & 10
GWS nominates Bowes at 2
Which of the GC pick is affected?

They would have to use there next aviliable pick, so pick 4.
Everytime a academy player is bid on and taken, it increases the chances of a better prospect getting through to one of our later selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back