Not open for further replies.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This makes sense.
Brodie would be a good replacement for Prestia and JOM.
With 4 picks in the top 10 they need to be strategic in how they select there draft picks and not take all the same type of player. One of those picks will go on Bowes (if they are lucky not with their first pick), Get one other inside mid Brodie or Taranto, then 2 flanker/outside mid (Ainsworth/Scrimshaw/Berry).

It might mean they take Ainsworth before Brodie because they know the will get Bowes and Taranto later depending on the bidding.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
EDIT: Has anyone heard anything more of Paul Brodie coming aboard this year?

Interesting point re: P. Brodie, all quiet on that front but maybe an appointment to be made after the draft (I'm sure he would have been busy behind the scenes rather than having a sabbatical year), steady as she goes leading into the draft and new dawn afterwards, if at all.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I see people say Brodie is a bit too 'vanilla'...but i like what im hearing about his competitiveness and mental toughness.

I wonder if he could be like a Rory Sloane...Sloane is 'vanilla' in a sense but he's competitive, works hard and just does everything to a high enough standard, without 'standing out' in any particular way.
Pla
Is Brodie's kicking as bad as some people are suggesting?
I've seen him play twice and I watched every possession carefully (I'm obsessed). Anyways his kicking seems good over a 25 - 40 metre range. Doesn't look to have a huge kick. Gets lots of disposals at stoppages. He will have to improve his offensive running patterns to get more dangerous. Kicking wise, he seems pretty good. He is a natural footballer with clean hands. Doesn't fumble. Get him in an elite system and he will improve. From my perspective his biggest asset is his mental toughness and drive. He seems like the kind of character who would flourished in the afl system.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Well said.

I think people get a bit carried away with the whole 'vanilla' thing. Whilst being able to play multiple positions seems to be the flavour of the month, it can also be a curse. These players tend to be moved around the ground without ever settling on the one position. Sometimes this means a jack of all trades, master of none. Still feel like we were guilty of this with Gibbs early stages of his career. Currently doing it with Jaksch. There are many guys in the league who are true midfielders who rarely leave the centre square eg. Sloane, Kennedy, Liberatore, Watson, Selwood. All these guys are or have been gun players.

Brodie will continue to improve his disposal in an elite environment. That is something skill related that can be worked on. The things which can't really be taught (standing up in big moments, carrying the team on your back, hunger for the contest) he has in spades.

Yeah and i just thought of a few more examples.

Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell, Hanneberry....basically all of Sydney's elite midfield were slightly later picks.

I can see how maybe none of them (except Mitchell) were that highly rated because they dont have a 'stand out' trait like amazing class, absolute elite kick etc...but what they do have is competitiveness and mental toughness, which drives them to improve as their career goes on.

As you said, skills can be improved...work ethic and determination is from within and you either have it or you don't.

If some of the stand out mids with class like McLuggage are gone, then im all for us taking Brodie at 5.

We'll score a good player @#5 and maybe a good player @#25 - I'm looking at the use of later picks to see if Carlton can get some 'luck' happening. It is about time teh Club copped a decent break or two. Bolton and SOS also have the optionj of looking at DFA's if they see any short term quality that can be fitted.

No more 'project' speculative handsome pretty boy skinny runts at the Club please!!!

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We'll score a good player @#5 and maybe a good player @#25 - I'm looking at the use of later picks to see if Carlton can get some 'luck' happening. It is about time teh Club copped a decent break or two. Bolton and SOS also have the optionj of looking at DFA's if they see any short term quality that can be fitted.

No more 'project' speculative handsome pretty boy skinny runts at the Club please!!!
Spot on! With our later picks we need tough, uncompromising players with some grunt not outside wingers...we've had enough of them

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Re: Setterfield, what's his disposal like?
If he's a worthy #5 selection, we should bid with our next in-line coming our way.

Not sure how much longer we'll be attempting to tap the GWS well and what the wash up = on our trading with them this year (I.e. no great favours our way this year but AFL's change in rules made this harder) even though we assisted getting Palmer off their books but a freebie selection.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I see people say Brodie is a bit too 'vanilla'...but i like what im hearing about his competitiveness and mental toughness.

I wonder if he could be like a Rory Sloane...Sloane is 'vanilla' in a sense but he's competitive, works hard and just does everything to a high enough standard, without 'standing out' in any particular way.

We need to land some Sloane/Parker type selections this year from 25 onwards. Quality late picks go a long way in putting a list together without always bottoming out.
Sydney are the masters of this, and Adelaide go alright too.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
If anyone that still feels that we should take nothing but mids in this draft, you should cast your eyes over the "Best 22" thread. As much as I love the likes of Rowe & Casboult, we need to continue using high picks for KPP's. With pick 25, I would like us to take one of:

Sproule (At least a bid) - Plays both ends as well as doing some ruck work. very athletic, strong endurance and an accurate kick for goals

Cox - AA defender that could also play forward. Reads the ball well in flight, low possessions, but rarely gets beaten. Distributes the ball well by hand and foot

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
we cannot take players with disposal issues - we've seen how nigh on impossible it is to retro-fit quality kicking skills - this is one thing the hawks have taught every club

If kicking skills are a must Taranto would be pretty low on my list, out of all the players who may be available at 5 he is worst field kick by far.
SPS Scrimshaw and Anisworth all have those really high level foot skills that you would expect from a high draft pick.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't wait for the nab cup to see pick 5 hopefully lighting it up with cuningham and possibly, with a bit of luck, pick 25.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Is Brodie's kicking as bad as some people are suggesting?

I don't think so, for a player who spends so much time around clearances and contested situations he is going to looked rushed and just throw the ball on boot at times. When he's out in space he's passes generally always hit the target.
I'd say he is a good kick, but not a great kick.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for that.
We need to go for players that can kick, which ia why Scrimshaw should come into calculations.
Absolutely correct it's useless having a player with good character and work ethic but unable to kick accurately and to team's advantage.
As a priority precise foot skills at 5& 25 without questions.

Absolutely correct it's useless having a player with good character and work ethic but unable to kick accurately and to team's advantage.
As a priority precise foot skills at 5& 25 without questions.
DVR had a good kick on him
Brodie will be a great get
But, i would bid for bowes & setterfield first

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Brodie has penetration in his kicking, but really struggles to hit targets on a consistent basis, as well as hitting the scoreboard regularly

This is his TAC Cup Stats Averages

BrodieTAC.png

I wouldn't be giving up pick 5 for a guy that kicks at 55.4 % efficiency

DVR had a good kick on him
Brodie will be a great get
But, i would bid for bowes & setterfield first

Good point about DVR. We have to make sure these players are natural footballers and have the intensity to get the ball at AFL level. Watson was a great kick. Jaksch is a very good kick. Good kick is not a standalone prerequisited. It is coupled with application and nous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back