Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax.

Deep breath.

You're on a forum, if you post an opinion or piece of information there will be those who disagree or choose to dissect what you post. It's not an attack, it's not a vendetta, it's discussion. Sometimes (like now) it gets a little heated, but ranting at folks online never got anyone anywhere.

On the draft speculation - we hear similar things each year. "Next year is going to be a really strong draft". Then next year rolls around and it's "If you think this year's players are good, wait til you see the next batch". Deep, shallow, even, strong - all vague terms that can be interpreted or re-interpreted in plenty of ways. I can say a draft is deep, and in years to come, as long as a few late picks come along, I can justify my point. I can say a draft is strong, and as long as a few players at the top end turn out to be quality, I can justify my point.

The professional journos who cover the TAC players have a vested interest in building hype as early as possible They start talking now about next year's draft so they can churn out an article or two a month over the next year to pad out their wallet. Realistically, it would be very difficult to gauge the depth or strength of a draft while players are still 16 years old and therefore still growing and developing. But the experts will continue to do just that because it's their job.

That's my view, others may disagree. Guys like Cal Twomey would have a better handle on the up and coming juniors than I would, I just avoid putting too much faith in their earliest impressions.
True, however; some drafts are also talked down during their year yet turn out to have been brimming with talent.

My point regarding trading away high future draft picks would be that you dismiss the unknown at your own peril. And, by your own argument, it's still easier to judge this year's crop than it is next year's.

We have to maximise our chances of getting as many quality players as possible; not just depth players but players competing to be in the best 22 of a finals worthy side. If we are to trade for quality players from other clubs, there should be none of that stuff where our first draft pick is something like pick 43 (or there about) in the draft - that kind of rubbish really hurts clubs when you know that the players you get will really be struggling to make the side if not de-listed altogether in 2 years time. We need to trade back into the draft and be downgrading rather than trading our first pick outright.

Last edited:
True, however; some drafts are also talked down during their year yet turn out to have been brimming with talent.

My point regarding trading away high future draft picks would be that you dismiss the unknown at your own peril. And, by your own argument, it's still easier to judge this year's crop than it is next year's.

We have to maximise our chances of getting as many quality players as possible; not just depth players but players competing to be in the best 22 of a finals worthy side. If we are to trade for quality players from other clubs, there should be none of that stuff where our first draft pick is something like pick 43 (or there about) in the draft - that kind of rubbish really hurts clubs when you know that the players you get will really be struggling to make the side if not de-listed altogether in 2 years time. We need to trade back into the draft and be downgrading rather than trading our first pick outright.
But you can always trade back into a future draft. If you miss aj opportunity in a current draft, that opportunity is gone.

I think with CT and KS and BS types you've got to be able to read btw the lines. Yes they get paid but I think they also genuinely comment on the general health of each years crop versus other years.

I haven't read much of next years draft but I have heard that it shapes as a good draft.

I have read this years draft runs to about pick 40.

Last year I read it runs to around pick 25, and some of the kids taken around 25 were kids I'd seen a lot last year and rated whereas the ones taken after that point I rated less, so from my vantage point I think when a pundit says the draft runs to 25 or 40 these comments seems fairly genuine.

Obviously a kid at 40 is going to have greater risk than a kid at 15 but the point is the kid at 40 is still a fairly good prospect.

Also need to bare in mind not just how deep the drafts are but how they shape at the top end. Usually the top 6-10 are very good but interestingly this year at this point in time there seems to be no one stand out like last years Weitering. But that doesn't mean the top ten aren't very good, just that at this stage maybe there is no 'once in a generation' player in the crop (of course in time one kid might blossom into a 'once in a generation' player).

Right now Carltons pick 5 is arguably as good as Essendons pick 1. So that's good for us.

1) McCluggage

2&3) Brodie & PetrevskiSeton

4 to 7) Venables/Bowes/Perryman/Ainsworth

8) McGrath

9 to 11) Scrimshaw/English/Taranto

12&13) Setterfield/Marshall

then a fair gap.

The Top Tier talent was seen to run to Gresham at about 14 last year, and to me it looks similar this year. A top dozen or so, then a good ol lottery from about 14 or so down to 30 or more.

This time last year the names, Tucker, Mathieson, Dunkley, Partington, Balic etc were being touted as top 20.

Plenty of time for for change but the top three listed above have looked damn good........and we could very well end up with one of them.

As much as i would like it, i reckon it is a very slim chance that our Pick 4 or 5 will net us 1 of the Top 3. Especially with Freo at 3 re SPS.

Hard to see them not still being 1,2,3 by years end. But of course someone will bolt up like Oliver last year in the time still to go. So either way, Pick 4 or 5 is a great pick to have. That's where you get a virtually certain very good longterm player.

Add that player to our outstanding work last year and we finally have a base to build around longterm.

It might not work out as we hope, but we have done it right as a Club finally and we have a chance of it working out right.

Docherty, Plowman, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, Cuningham, Pick 5 and 23/or GWS young player/s is the base.

As much as i would like it, i reckon it is a very slim chance that our Pick 4 or 5 will net us 1 of the Top 3. Especially with Freo at 3 re SPS.

Hard to see them not still being 1,2,3 by years end. But of course someone will bolt up like Oliver last year in the time still to go. So either way, Pick 4 or 5 is a great pick to have. That's where you get a virtually certain very good longterm player.

Add that player to our outstanding work last year and we finally have a base to build around longterm.

It might not work out as we hope, but we have done it right as a Club finally and we have a chance of it working out right.

Docherty, Plowman, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, Cuningham, Pick 5 and 23/or GWS young player/s is the base.

Freo may well have another speedster in Bradley Hill coming to them along with the, almost forgotten Bennell.
They're also likely to get McCarthy but I guess the question then may be; Will they even have the #3?

Wouldn't surprise should either, or even both of Essendon & Brisbane endeavour to trade out their premium pick......but yes, the top 3 do stand out but someone may fall in love with the possibility they see in Venables, or the height and spring of Marshall. You never know and pick #4 isn't a bad no. :)

Freo may well have another speedster in Bradley Hill coming to them along with the, almost forgotten Bennell.
They're also likely to get McCarthy but I guess the question then may be; Will they even have the #3?

Wouldn't surprise should either, or even both of Essendon & Brisbane endeavour to trade out their premium pick......but yes, the top 3 do stand out but someone may fall in love with the possibility they see in Venables, or the height and spring of Marshall. You never know and pick #4 isn't a bad no. :)

Your right Harks a lot of scuttle but right now about the bombers possibly trading pick 1. so many possibilities with that pick to

The talk on Jack Bowes has quietened a little I had him in that top 3 convo at one stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd Marshall for me, we need another big fwd and another big mid, actually a few big mids would be nice but obviously they don't grow on trees... Don't really see many powerful mids in this years draft, would love Parfitt with our 3rd, has some very nice highlights and has a strong body. I don't like wasting high picks for small fwds like Ainsworth or even sps, Mcluggage would be a steal at 5, I want all of them!!

As much as I hate to admit it, I reckon * have picked up a future gun in darcy parish. I would absolutely love to use pick 4-5 on a similar player like him, whoever that may be.
Meh, Parish is okay, bit of a softy I reckon, but then I thought the same thing about Heppell.

I'm actually warming to Parish as the season goes though. I reckon i'd even like him if he had a better face

The critical comments so far have been that the top 10 aren't as good as recent times. Certainly last year's top 10 is looking super.

I think more important is that EXACTLY the same thing was said about last years draft crop, it was apparently extremly weak, besides Weitering no real stars etc was said on a daily basis by shifter Sheehan and people who apparently knew on BigFooty..

Meh, Parish is okay, bit of a softy I reckon, but then I thought the same thing about Heppell.

I'm actually warming to Parish as the season goes though. I reckon i'd even like him if he had a better face

he's a gun and reckon that francis will be even better. kid has something special you dont see that often. has all the tools. one or two good drafts can make a massive difference to your list. essendon have added some real elite talent and should do again with pick 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back