Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think smashing * and finishing above the Tigers will be - much as I want a top 4/5 pick - worth it 100%. Plus, it's well known that you're always safe drafting after the Tiggers.

Might not matter anyway as that pick will be going to the Suns for Prestia anyway... Now I would be nervous about drafting after Suns at 4+5 given they're after midfielders.
I think that the suns might just take Marshall... As cover

Haven't been following the young kids as much this year, looks like pick 5 or 6 we'll have first, who's going to be the best mid available at our pick?
In order of mids i'd personally say

1. McLuggage
2. Brodie
3. Petrevski-Seton
4. McGrath
5. Ainsworth

Todd Marshall a chance to go in that top group as a key forward
Bowes a chance to get bit on before the Sun's selection.

So we should have between 1-3 of those guys available.

Journos would be licking their lips with McCluggage:
'McCluggage packs his bags'
'McCluggage carries the team to victory'

And if he ever heads into Big Red territory:
'Oversized McCluggage advised to drop weight'

I was thinking that... and just threw the idea out there for discussion.

And if Freo is interested in Cas... pick 4 and Cas for pick 3 maybe?

Freo would only do that if they thought they'd get the guy they want with Pick 4 anyway.

So if they want Petrevski-Seton and don't think we'd take him, the trade would be a good one. If they think we'll snap up SPS ourselves, they'd keep Pick 3,

Begs the question, why bother giving them Casboult if we don't want the same player?

Freo would only do that if they thought they'd get the guy they want with Pick 4 anyway.

So if they want Petrevski-Seton and don't think we'd take him, the trade would be a good one. If they think we'll snap up SPS ourselves, they'd keep Pick 3,

Begs the question, why bother giving them Casboult if we don't want the same player?
Because it could see us grabbing one of McLuggage or Brodie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it could see us grabbing one of McLuggage or Brodie.

But it would anyway. That's my point.

If Freo prefer McLuggage and Brodie to SPS, throwing Casboult their way won't be enough to have them give up their preferred draftee.

Pick 1 - Essendon - Brodie
Pick 2 - Brisbane - Marshall
Pick 3 - Freo - Petrevski-Seton
Pick 4 - Carlton - McLuggage

VS

Pick 3 - Carlton - McLuggage
Pick 4 - Freo - Petrevski-Seton (+ Casboult)

VS

Pick 3 - Freo - McLuggage
Pick 4 - Carlton - ???

If they want SPS, and know we won't take him at 3, they'd happily take Casboult knowing full well that they've got him for free. In that scenario, we've lost Casboult for nothing, because we'd have gotten McLuggage/Brodie anyway.

But if they prefer McLuggage/Brodie, then I can't see Casboult being enough of a carrot to get them to take a less preferred player in the draft.

If they agree to the trade, it'd be because they don't think we'd take their preferred player at 3, which means we'd get our man at 4 anyway.

I think Freo would be mad not to take SPS home grown talent largely touted as the no1 pick, no go home factor either, a very safe and also talented pick.

If we land McLuggage I'll nudie run through SOS's office! But I can't see him lasting anywhere near our pick. Marshall needs to put together a few ripper games if he is going to be taken in the top 3.

Ainsworth McGrath Venables Clarke....... For some reason I just can't go past Clarke here a reach I know, but for pure midfield talent, and I understand the other guys have put in some great games, I just think Clarkes game will transfer into AFL slightly better, he is much more of a first hands on the football type of mid and a clearance beast.

Venables could be anything, may very well have the highest ceiling of the quartet which is very very exciting but in our position, I want more than exciting, we need a safe bet for our first pick if it was 11-14 then Venables for sure. Not sure what his numbers have been like over the last couple of weeks either?

Then there is the HBF/MID vs the FP/MID who are both putting up great numbers, BUT how does it all go at the next level?

If we end up with pick 6 and Brodie, McCluggage, SPS, Ainsworth and McGragh are all gone by our pick I'll be wishing that we had of traded it. I wouldn't actually care if we rolled the dice and take Marshall or English if those guys are already taken.

If Freo prefer McLuggage and Brodie to SPS, throwing Casboult their way won't be enough to have them give up their preferred draftee.

VS

VS

Pick 4 - Carlton - ???

If they want SPS, and know we won't take him at 3, they'd happily take Casboult knowing full well that they've got him for free. In that scenario, we've lost Casboult for nothing, because we'd have gotten McLuggage/Brodie anyway.

But if they prefer McLuggage/Brodie, then I can't see Casboult being enough of a carrot to get them to take a less preferred player in the draft.

If they agree to the trade, it'd be because they don't think we'd take their preferred player at 3, which means we'd get our man at 4 anyway.
Brisbane aren't taking Marshall and i think we our a lock for McLuggage

Brisbane aren't taking Marshall and i think we our a lock for McLuggage

Yep - all hypothetical at the moment. If one of Brodie/McLuggage gets past Brisbane, I'm not sure Freo would be interested anyway. Swap Brodie and McLuggage in my examples and the point still stands - no point giving Casboult away if Freo and Carlton have different draft targets.

VS

VS

Pick 4 - Carlton - ???

There might have to be a trade of minor picks or something to make up value on Casboult.

Watching the Andrew McGrath footage again, taking him at 5 or 6 seems the logical and sound selection. I'd compare it to grabbing someone like a Josh Kelly, who is a well-rounder footballer, very clean and can run and carry but hasn't got the X-Factor as some of the players taken in his draft alumni.

At worst he'd be very handy, at best he'd be a star. Perfect choice while we're re-stocking the list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back