English Super League 2016 English Super League Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
The season kicks off this Friday Morning our time with Leeds Rhinos playing Warrington Wolves. Game will be Live on Fox Sports 1 from 6am.

This thread is for discussion for the season ahead.

Even bigger surprise today with Widnes (!) hammering Leeds, who look in poor shape to face the Cowboys next weekend. Wigan haven't been great by any means, but they've managed two wins from their first two games at least.

Even bigger surprise today with Widnes (!) hammering Leeds, who look in poor shape to face the Cowboys next weekend. Wigan haven't been great by any means, but they've managed two wins from their first two games at least.

Businesslike from Wigan which has not been the case for Saints or Leeds. Its early days and things will settle but Hull FC look promising and who knows the koucash cash may help at Salford.

I'd like to apologise on behalf of English rugby league for that abysmal showing by Saints, and hope that Wigan and Leeds put up a more spirited display. I'm confident that they will. I'm off to the DW tomorrow.

I'd like to apologise on behalf of English rugby league for that abysmal showing by Saints, and hope that Wigan and Leeds put up a more spirited display. I'm confident that they will. I'm off to the DW tomorrow.
Wigan were worse!
Broncs didn't even get out of second gear.
If the Cowboys are even half serious they will annihilate Leeds such is the gulf in competitions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the look of Lewis Tierney.

I don't. He was OK under the high ball (although their kicks were typically deep, and he seldom was under pressure to catch), but offers nothing in attack. He is no Jason Robinson or Sam Tomkins, that's for sure.

The Broncs were bigger sharper, faster in thought and action. They played what was in front of them, didn't try to score every set, and took their chances clinically.

Here we see the downside of top English players playing in the NRL. Some English fans like the idea, but the truth is it degrades our own comp into a lesser one, so that promising youngsters like Joe Burgess are whisked off before they've even fully realised their potential. England may well be becoming more competitive at international level, but it's a Pyrrhic victory if it's at the expense of the standard of club rugby. Wigan used to boast players of the class of Dallas, Miles, Hanley, Edwards and Gregory, etc. Comparing these giants to the players on the pitch yesterday, well...

Yeah, they've doing it, and we've been getting away with it, letting convincing leads slip and winning games on virtually the last play of the match. Exciting to watch, but it can't go on.

Yes, they do, and Huddersfield still are pointless! That said, Huddersfield were the better side for most of that game, and should have won.

Fine win for Wigan (again!) in the traditional Good Friday derby against St Helens, who admittedly were really poor. Saints fans are going into meltdown all over the internet. I braved the holiday traffic (and strong winds and rain on the way back) on my bike to be there. Weather and conditions fine during the match fortunately. Dom Manfredi was once again the star, and after the Roosters hoovered up Joe Burgess, his former team-mate will be attracting NRL attention with many more performances like this. I believe it was 19 tackle busts in the game! He leads the SL stats for TBs.

I didn't see the game, I can only watch on a dodgy internet link, and it got so bad I gave up after 15 mins. Leeds can't indeed take a trick, they are missing McGuire big time. And Huddersfield are a much better side their league position suggests. We were lucky to beat them (not for the first time this season) at our place the other week. Danny Brough set up a try with a reverse kick from some distance out that the full-back ran through to tap down under the posts, that would have had Thurston or Cronk purring.

Warrington are the form side in the comp at the moment. Gidley and Sandow were such good signings for them.

I trust you'll all be glued to your screens for the Challenge Cup Final, tonight? :)

Hoping for a really good contest; they have been the two form sides in the comp this year, so are fitting finalists.

Watched the last 20 minutes.

Classic final in every sense. Hull ended their Wembley hoodoo with a late try and try line tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back