List Mgmt. 2016 Father Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was 19 I did my apprenticeship with a guy who played school footy with Bryce Gibbs. He said he was crap and couldn't believe he was going to get drafted or was rated so highly.

Take the opinions of 17-18 year olds with a grain of salt when it comes to judging football talent.

Crazy. Bryce Gibbs was a standout junior. A total gun. He was tall as a young kid and would get the ruck tap and rove it also. Was no surprise that he developed into AFL level player. Reckon your mate either had the wrong guy or he was way, way off the mark.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Gibbs_(Australian_rules_footballer)

I remember reports in Moore's Draft Year people where saying Moore was Overrated and Up Himself
Yep, the talk here was that he was good (if a little bit full of himself) but Daniher was going to be better.

Daniher hasn't even got the confidence to kick a drop punt let alone the ability to trot in the same paddock as Moore.

Crazy. Bryce Gibbs was a standout junior. A total gun. He was tall as a young kid and would get the ruck tap and rove it also. Was no surprise that he developed into AFL level player. Reckon your mate either had the wrong guy or he was way, way off the mark.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Gibbs_(Australian_rules_footballer)

Yeah Andrew Jarman pumped him up as the next greatest Footballer of all time from the time he was 16 playing seniors at Glenlg. The best bit was he was so excited as the Crows were getting him for a 3rd rounder under F/S.

Know some people who suggested that he might have had 'injuries' during some of his school footy and Chargers days. His commitment now is unquestionable, but I think he's was told he was getting drafted by Hine and Co pretty early so his commitment levels wavered.

I highly doubt that. He was Captain of the Chargers

So, if we only have currency for one of these F/S kids.... Which one do we take?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, if we only have currency for one of these F/S kids.... Which one do we take?
If we want them both we'll make sure we have the currency heading in to draft day.

So let me tell you all a little story about a past father/son selection who I believe has taken a very soft (but probably lucrative financial deal) to move from Division 1 premiers, to Division 2 battlers. For those who don't know, the EDFL's senior divisions go Premier, Div 1, Div 2.

Cameron Cloke spent 2016 playing for the Craigieburn Eagles in Division 1 with his brother Jason. Cloke's year was outstanding, comfortably winning the league goalkicking with 92 goals (including a 16 goal game against Northern Saints, 10 goals against Hadfield and 12 and 8 goals in their two meetings with Taylors Lakes)

IMG_4292.jpg

Craigieburn finished on top, 14-2, ahead of Tullamarine, 13-3. The two would play off in the Division 1 Grand Final. Craigieburn were victorious and are now headed for Premier Division.

IMG_4291.jpg

As the season has concluded, Cameron has not only left Craigieburn, he'a snubbed the opportunity to play in the leagues highest senior division against the best quality and a wide spread of other ex-AFL players.

Instead he's signed at the Jacana Jaguars. A club that comfortably lost in the 2015 Grand Final, and then backed it up by finishing 7th in an 8 team division in 2016.

IMG_4289.jpg

The club I grew up playing for, the Roxburgh Park Magpies finished top of the division and unfortunately lost this years Grand Final to East Keilor. I haven't played for 5 years now, but I still go to most home games. Even I can admit, that despite being one of the best sides in this division, it's an absolute rabble of a division. An 18 year old kid from our club kicked 81 goals and won the goal kicking, he had a 10 goal game against East Sunbury and an 8 goal game against Burnside and he's a long way off the attitude, professionalism and ability to be a competent AFL player. I worry for Burnside what Cloke will do to them.

Anywho, in summary, I can't wait to play Jacana next year and sledge Cameron all day for being a weak prick and trying to remain the biggest fish in a very small pond.

So let me tell you all a little story about a past father/son selection who I believe has taken a very soft (but probably lucrative financial deal) to move from Division 1 premiers, to Division 2 battlers. For those who don't know, the EDFL's senior divisions go Premier, Div 1, Div 2.

Cameron Cloke spent 2016 playing for the Craigieburn Eagles in Division 1 with his brother Jason. Cloke's year was outstanding, comfortably winning the league goalkicking with 92 goals (including a 16 goal game against Northern Saints, 10 goals against Hadfield and 12 and 8 goals in their two meetings with Taylors Lakes)

View attachment 290439

Craigieburn finished on top, 14-2, ahead of Tullamarine, 13-3. The two would play off in the Division 1 Grand Final. Craigieburn were victorious and are now headed for Premier Division.

View attachment 290441

As the season has concluded, Cameron has not only left Craigieburn, he'a snubbed the opportunity to play in the leagues highest senior division against the best quality and a wide spread of other ex-AFL players.

Instead he's signed at the Jacana Jaguars. A club that comfortably lost in the 2015 Grand Final, and then backed it up by finishing 7th in an 8 team division in 2016.

View attachment 290442

The club I grew up playing for, the Roxburgh Park Magpies finished top of the division and unfortunately lost this years Grand Final to East Keilor. I haven't played for 5 years now, but I still go to most home games. Even I can admit, that despite being one of the best sides in this division, it's an absolute rabble of a division. An 18 year old kid from our club kicked 81 goals and won the goal kicking, he had a 10 goal game against East Sunbury and an 8 goal game against Burnside and he's a long way off the attitude, professionalism and ability to be a competent AFL player. I worry for Burnside what Cloke will do to them.

Anywho, in summary, I can't wait to play Jacana next year and sledge Cameron all day for being a weak prick and trying to remain the biggest fish in a very small pond.
Actually with the right coach, Jason could have been a better player. Being rubbed out and blamed for the loss by the coach didn't help him.

Actually with the right coach, Jason could have been a better player. Being rubbed out and blamed for the loss by the coach didn't help him.
I'm not even talking about Jason? I'm talking about how Cameron has decided to play in a lesser division in order to look better..

Just a couple of things about the F/S rules that I think work in our favour:

Players bid on after the end of first round have points value reduced at a flat rate of 197 points, rather than the 20% of earlier picks.
So a bid for a player at say pick 36 (502 points) is reduced by 197 to 305 - covered by pick 47 or higher (discount = about 40%).
Players bid from Pick 56 (194 points) onward can be matched for free.

Also we have the option to go in to deficit next year to cover the points required, which given what seems to be our predicted finish next year and the fact that any deficit should be small, shouldn't change our draft position. For example, if we finish 8th next year we could take a deficit of up to 60 points through to next year without having our position in the draft affected.

So, assuming we don't gain any extra picks (I think we will anyway and have the points required comfortably) and go to the draft with Picks 43 and 61 (using 25 for another player) we have 513 points, which is enough to cover a late 2nd and early 3rd bid (say 35 and 42) going 10 points in to deficit which won't change our draft picks next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-24/your-guide-to-the-draft-live-bidding-system

I'm not even talking about Jason? I'm talking about how Cameron has decided to play in a lesser division in order to look better..
If you got offered more money to do an easier job what would you do?

I realise this, just reminded me when I saw goals kicked.
Cameron wasn't even steak knives.

If we want them both we'll make sure we have the currency heading in to draft day.

It's a hypothetical.
You can't tell me there is absolutely no scenario where there may be a chance only to take one.
What if a bigger fish wants to come to us and we need to use our draft picks to get them.

Which one is better?

It's a hypothetical.
You can't tell me there is absolutely no scenario where there may be a chance only to take one.
What if a bigger fish wants to come to us and we need to use our draft picks to get them.

Which one is better?
The only scenario I can think of is if one of them gets bid on in the first round, which is extremely unlikely. JustInsideFifty explained it all a few posts back very well, especially the fixed discount working in our favour outside the first round.

Every realistic scenario I can think of brings me to the same conclusion, which is that if we want both the boys we'll get them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back