Second elimination final - West Coast v Western Bulldogs

Friday September 9, 7.50pm at the MCG
Second qualifying final - Geelong v Hawthorn

Saturday September 10, 3.20pm at ANZ Stadium
First qualifying final - Sydney Swans v Greater Western Sydney

Saturday September 10, 7.10pm at Adelaide Oval
First elimination final - Adelaide v North Melbourne

(All times local)

Getting this up nice and early, just for something different ;)

Opposition fans (even the BluenYella ones) are welcome but just remember that this is our turf and proper etiquette should be observed.

This is a thread for general finals talk and just remember that we'll get up dedicated gameday threads when the day rolls around.

Carn you Doggies!!!

Top 8 teams v Other top 8 teams ladder
  1. Geelong 8-2. 126.5%.
  2. Sydney 6-4. 112.0%
  3. Hawthorn 6-4. 95.7%.
  4. GWS 5-4. 119.1%.
  5. West Coast 4-5. 90.2%.
  6. Western B's 4-5. 88.9%.
  7. Adelaide 4-6. 98.0%.
  8. Norf 2-9. 79.1%
The top 8 ladder rather eerily matches the actual ladder.

Geelong and Sydney have swapped positions, Hawthorn and GWS are 3rd and 4th. Those 4 teams all have winning records.

Adelaide have slipped from 5th to 7th, otherwise the bottom 4 would also mirror their overall ladder positions.

Looking ahead:

Norf and Western B's are yet to win a single game v top 8 teams interstate. Norf 0-4, WB's 0-2.

Sydney and GWS split their two games this season, though neither match was played at ANZ Stadium. GWS have never won at ANZ, however, their last game at that venue was 3 years ago. Sydney have lost their last two games at ANZ, by wide margins, v Norf and Hawthorn last year.

Geelong beat Hawthorn in their only clash this season (rd 1 at MCG) by 30 points. There was less than a goal in it until midway through the last quarter. Dangerfield had 43 disposals in his Geelong debut.

Assuming Adelaide and West Coast win their week 1 games, they will struggle to survive week 2. They will both be away in week 2, Adelaide in Sydney and West Coast in Melbourne.

Adelaide are 1-4 v top 8 teams this season (interstate) and West Coast, despite winning their last two, are still 2-4 v top 8 teams this season (interstate).

If it eventually ends up being a Sydney v Geelong GF:

Geelong are 7-1 v top 8 teams in Victoria this season, scoring 98+ points in 6 of those 8 games.
Sydney are 3-1 v top 8 teams (interstate) this season, only once conceding more than 76 points.

Sydney belted Geelong in rd 16 (98-60) at Skilled Stadium, their only clash this season.

Last edited:
Don't really like any of those teams. Guess I'm barracking for GWS, but I suspect they will be overawed by the occasion.

Argh, GWS!? The only reason, the one and only reason I want them to win the flag is so the AFL can tick that off their list of To Do's and let them start to play the comp under fairer terms.

Otherwise, I can't understand how anybody would want that contrived, soulless, Sydney branch of AFL House winning a flag.

FWIW, have thought Swans for a couple of months and still think them. Don't really care who, probably Adl would be my least offensive with a chance. But really, It's not us, so whoever.

Still rooting for Adelaide but think they blew their chances against the slime last week. Otherwise Bulldogs are second followed by probs Geelong or Sydney...yuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans v Cats GF , Lock it in now.

Would not mind that at all. My hard earned has already been placed on Sydney to take out the big prize!

Just make sure you are not ambushed by the very quick and skillful GWS on the weekend, surprised to see that GWS's most recent team was more experienced than Sydney's.

What like you guys did in 2010, 2013 and 2014?

1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2016

You guys have had more practice at it so should come more naturally for you

I always take Freagle as going in your direction.

What is the other way, If I support the Eagles in this series am I a Wocker (oh the possibilities there!)?

Argh, GWS!? The only reason, the one and only reason I want them to win the flag is so the AFL can tick that off their list of To Do's and let them start to play the comp under fairer terms.

Otherwise, I can't understand how anybody would want that contrived, soulless, Sydney branch of AFL House winning a flag.

FWIW, have thought Swans for a couple of months and still think them. Don't really care who, probably Adl would be my least offensive with a chance. But really, It's not us, so whoever.

Not likely. How long have Sydney been taking advantage of COLA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back