Analysis 2016 Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A six day break after a Perth trip to face Hawthorn is ****in ridiculous

Let's not forget back to back 6 day breaks leading into the game against Sydney at ANZ.

At the end of the day I say * it. I want us to be an "any opposition, anywhere, any time" type of team where we give the opposition hell no matter what.

back to back 6 day breaks into Sydney away and Hawks off a 6 day break coming back from Perth is going to hurt.

The reality is though, a good team would move through this, hopefully the boys can get some practice at this for when we are a good team.

It's a pretty mediocre fixture, to be honest.

Hawthorn at Etihad? Fail
No Freo in Melbourne for the sixth year in a row? Fail.
Melbourne at the MCG? Fail.
Six interstate trips? Tough.

Hawthorn at Etihad? Fail

Yep considering the rules they have in place for finishing bottom 4. All other variables are fails for us. Too many interstate trips against the same beneficiaries (Freo, Sydney). MCG gift to Melbourne.

It's hard not to think that the AFL is STILL punishing us.

Hawthorn at Etihad? Fail
Maybe from a commercial perspective, but certainly good for our ladder position.
No top 6 team twice, with Richmond being the only top 8 team.

Other double ups include Carlton, Gold Coast, St Kilda and Geelong. That's pretty good (with the exception of Geelong twice). We should beat Carlton twice, Gold Coast once, possibly twice, St Kilda once and maybe Richmond and Geelong (at the MCG) once in an upset. No chance of beating Geelong at Etihad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, Norf get the easiest fixture possible again... I shudder to think what would happen if they actually finished bottom 6 and we finished top 6.

8 six day breaks.

I think you will find Champion Data ranks North's draw as one of the toughest, if not THE toughest in the comp.

We do have a good draw commercially though.

Last edited:
This fixture is fine.

TBH - I've always thought that the fixture is a non-issue unless you're in serious premiership contention, and even then, it's questionable.

Regardless of where we finish, I'd happily play the top 6 teams twice and everyone else once next year, because we're not in contention, and one of the ways to get into contention is to pit ourselves against better teams, more often.

Thought we finished bottom 4 and were supposed to get a favourable draw?????? We play Melbourne once, Lions once... Why? We play every strong interstate club once and all are on their home turf (Port, Swans, Dockers, West Coast, Crows... Even Lions game is in Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back