2016 Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Won't be long till the Footy Show returns to Ch 9 for the 2016 Season.

With recent circumstances surrounding Lyon and Brownless, just wondering if Ch9 will stick with just Brayshaw hosting, or take the opportunity to freshen the show up?

Fairly safe to say the program has been fairly stagnant over the last few years, and it'll be a big challenge for Brayshaw hosting solo. The payouts on Lyon were what made the show semi tolerable.

Maybe some new hosts, or split the hosting across others while on air? Ch 9 have an opportunity to try something now.

How about these 2 splitting the duties with Brayshaw when actual footy is discussed?
They have their moments on SEN

CSoh7JkUwAAIuMt.jpg

Won't be long till the Footy Show returns to Ch 9 for the 2016 Season.

With recent circumstances surrounding Lyon and Brownless, just wondering if Ch9 will stick with just Brayshaw hosting, or take the opportunity to freshen the show up?

Like Lou Richards, Jack Dyer and Bobby Davis being the tv personality for footy shows such as World of Sport in 1970's and 1980's
they baton passed onto Sam Newman who started on World of Sport with that lot after he retired and then the mix of comic Trevor Marmalade and a host of retired players and a well known host. Dunstall and Doug Hawkins a bit part of it early. Eddie McGuire was the host and one of the people that helped launch it when he saw the void left by World of Sport no longer being around. They eventually got around to replacing a comic with Dave Hughes last year so they dynamics of that stay there but maybe he is talked into being on there as much as Trevor Marmalade was now that Garry will not be on there. It will be a very different show without Garry Lyon. He basically re-freshened and improved on it when it was very stagnant of too much Eddie. Garry Lyon had become the new footy personality on tv that the Jack Dyer's and Lou Richards were in 1970's and early 1980s. Channel 9 will struggle to fill his void and cannot think of another football personality that has the same pull. He has basically kept Sam Newman afloat on tv but without Gazza, Newman and Brayshaw I reckon will be a bit lost with the dynamics of their on air show gone.

Channel 9 will probably be doing everything in their power to make sure Lyon gets out of whatever funk he is in now and if his friendship with Brownless can be repaired. Otherwise this show will be goneski in a year or two. Newman will retire for sure at end of year if Lyon does not come back. After that channel 9 would be asking Dave Hughes can he revamp a Before the Game style show on their channel.

The footy show will die quickly without Lyon and Newman so unless he comes back this could be the last year of it. Had a decent run like World of Sport did.
Footy Classifieds will go the same way I guess.
If I was Gazza having to work with Caro a few years, I reckon I would get depressed too.

think this is the death nell for the footy show watching everyone hang s**t on Garry was the only reason i watched (read have on in the back ground whilst i did other stuff), also newman is not getting any younger and is becoming more and more disinterested.

the only way to keep it is to revamp and focus more on the footy side of things

Perhaps now that laughing at Garry is no longer an option, they could talk about the football. Crazy, I know.

Nah, they've got it the way they want. Enough 'footy talk' for the football crowd to watch and enough 'hur hur jokes' for the dullard crowd to watch. Footy Classified airs two hours later against Lateline for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im happy to see the back of Lyon. Shows been terrible ever since he took over. I'd clear out bill and brayshaw as well. Bring in some new blood and refresh the whole show. Let's see what some of these more recently retired players have to offer once they are away from clubland where they're forced to be robots.

Dunstall would be a good replacement as host if they can get him over to provide some experience.

The NRL show has done this a few times and is a far better show for it.

Just don't throw in Tony Jones.

Last edited:
NRL has 18 Thursday night games.

Newsflash. The topic is about football, not rugby.
Why someone would suggest move the AFL Footy Show to Wednesday night permanently has me shaking my head at the lack of thought put into such a suggestion. Virtually no teams are named on Wednesday for the most part.

Newsflash. The topic is about football, not rugby.
Why someone would suggest move the AFL Footy Show to Wednesday night permanently has me shaking my head at the lack of thought put into such a suggestion. Virtually no teams are named on Wednesday for the most part.
My post was making the same point.

The more I think about it, I just think wind the show up mid year and create a whole new show with football content around the teams. No point trying to replicate this format with different hosts and personalities. Just will not work.
I simply cannot see the Footy Show going on without Lyon in it. Sam Newman I reckon has only hung on as long as he has because Lyon has been on it. Newman was getting close to retirement anyway so he just may pull the pin after a few months. If he gets a month into this show in 2016 and there is no chance of Lyon and Brownless patching up a damaged friendship then he will make the call himself.

Channel Nine can either ask Dave Hughes to re-create Before the Game on a Friday night for them or they simply go for a straight laced football preview show at 6-30 pm on a Friday for one hour. Or they do a 9-30 pm Thursday night basic league teams type format.
Some old bastard like Kevin Bartlett would actually be ideal for that type of league teams type show. Get a few younger side kicks (maybe Campbell Brown and Matty Lloyd) and it could have it's own smaller niche much like the Footy Classified's has on a late Monday night.

Eddie is contracted to Fox Footy so he is ruled out, most football personalities have already signed for the year, the only option would be the current channel 9 crew, which means isn't a great field to select from.
The rating will be through the roof for the 1st week, after that I reckon it will be life support

Eddie is contracted to Fox Footy so he is ruled out, most football personalities have already signed for the year, the only option would be the current channel 9 crew, which means isn't a great field to select from.
The rating will be through the roof for the 1st week, after that I reckon it will be life support
Eddie does a game show for 9 as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back