List Mgmt. 2016 Free Agency/Trades/Draft thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibbs to Adelaide
Merchbank to Carlton
Lyons to north Melbourne
2017 second round pick and pick 29 (originally north Melbourne) to GWS for academy picks

Since 2007, these are the actual trades where a player was traded for value greater than or equal to a first round pick:
  • Chris Judd (+ 46 for Kennedy + 3 + 20)
  • Cameron Wood (for 14)
  • Travis Johnstone (for 14)
  • Brock McLean (for 11)
  • Andrew Lovett (for 16)
  • Darren Jolly (for 14 + 46)
  • Shaun Burgoyne (for Nash + 9 and complex pick player swap)
  • Brendan Fevola (+ 27 for Henderson + 12)
  • Richard Tambling (end of 1st round compensation + 51)
  • David Hale (end of 1st round compensation)
  • Justin Sherman (end of 1st round compensation)
  • Mitch Clark (for 12)
  • Josh Caddy (1st round compensation)
  • Sharrod Wellingham (for 18)
  • Chris Dawes (for 20)
  • Ben McEvoy (for 18 + Savage)
  • Jono O'Rourke (+ 43 for 19 + 40)
  • Dayne Beams (for 5 + 25 + Crisp)
  • Tom Boyd (for 6 + Griffen)
  • Patrick Ryder (for 17 + 37)
  • Patrick Dangerfield (+ 50 for 9 + 28 + Gore)
  • Jack Redden (for 17)
  • Jed Anderson (+ 38 + 40 for 15 + 55)
  • Charlie Dixon (+ 49 for 10 + 2016 second)
  • Jake Carlisle (+ 14 for 5 + 24)
  • Adam Treloar (+28 for 7 + 65 + 2016 1st)
The trades in bold are those where the "first round pick" was beyond Pick 18 due to compensation or other reasons, meaning it was closer to an early second round pick.

The Jed Anderson and Jake Carlisle trades are borderline "first round" trades because St Kilda gained a first round pick in their deal for Carlisle, while North received two third round picks they ultimately used to return to the first round.

You'll notice a number of these trades are for late first round picks around the mark of our pick. Some examples are Redden, Wellingham, McEvoy and Caddy. Early picks were reserved for top-end players.

There are only a few mistakes in this list that involved picks < 18. McLean and Wood trades by Carlton are pretty bad. Mitch Clark was a solid trade idea that didn't work out. Fevola was a bad idea.

Since 2007, these are the actual trades where a player was traded for value greater than or equal to a first round pick:
  • Chris Judd (+ 46 for Kennedy + 3 + 20)
  • Cameron Wood (for 14)
  • Travis Johnstone (for 14)
  • Brock McLean (for 11)
  • Andrew Lovett (for 16)
  • Darren Jolly (for 14 + 46)
  • Shaun Burgoyne (for Nash + 9 and complex pick player swap)
  • Brendan Fevola (+ 27 for Henderson + 12)
  • Richard Tambling (end of 1st round compensation + 51)
  • David Hale (end of 1st round compensation)
  • Justin Sherman (end of 1st round compensation)
  • Mitch Clark (for 12)
  • Josh Caddy (1st round compensation)
  • Sharrod Wellingham (for 18)
  • Chris Dawes (for 20)
  • Ben McEvoy (for 18 + Savage)
  • Jono O'Rourke (+ 43 for 19 + 40)
  • Dayne Beams (for 5 + 25 + Crisp)
  • Tom Boyd (for 6 + Griffen)
  • Patrick Ryder (for 17 + 37)
  • Patrick Dangerfield (+ 50 for 9 + 28 + Gore)
  • Jack Redden (for 17)
  • Jed Anderson (+ 38 + 40 for 15 + 55)
  • Charlie Dixon (+ 49 for 10 + 2016 second)
  • Jake Carlisle (+ 14 for 5 + 24)
  • Adam Treloar (+28 for 7 + 65 + 2016 1st)
The trades in bold are those where the "first round pick" was beyond Pick 18 due to compensation or other reasons, meaning it was closer to an early second round pick.

The Jed Anderson and Jake Carlisle trades are borderline "first round" trades because St Kilda gained a first round pick in their deal for Carlisle, while North received two third round picks they ultimately used to return to the first round.

You'll notice a number of these trades are for late first round picks around the mark of our pick. Some examples are Redden, Wellingham, McEvoy and Caddy. Early picks were reserved for top-end players.

There are only a few mistakes in this list. McLean and Wood trades by Carlton are pretty bad. Mitch Clark was a solid trade that didn't work out.

Did we seriously give a first rounder for Tambling?

Please tell me I'm reading that wrong or I take back every single nice thing I have said about our recruiters.

I didn't make a point - other than my original observation that you are not entitled to request bowing to you just because of a differing opinion.

I'm not advancing the argument either way - clearly it's a balance. Just as clearly the end state is the same, so why misrepresent someone else just to advance your own argument.
See, I don't see the end state as anywhere near the same. We will get much less into our team for the 2017 if we keep our first round picks. Any players we bring in through the Draft this year are minimum 4 years from having an influence. Have a look at what you are defending so vehemently on feenix's behalf (below). Do you believe we should be resetting our list OR waiting until next year to have a real crack?

So stop with the "misrepresenting" stuff ... it's getting old and is almost as weak as "go back and look for yourself".

Please go back and read my original suggestion and stop misreprenting what I've said. And whilst youre at it, take the skirt down from around your head :)

Oh I've trawled back through your posts on this ... here is the crux of it:

- we should reset out list with a cull of the over 25yr olds
- don't trade Hartigan
- if we trade our first round picks for A-Grade players in this draft we are Port not Hawthorn
- we should load up on kids, save up some cash, and grab a Martin, Rockliff, Cunnington, Fyfe next year through FA
- we need to bring in some 25-28yr old grunt in this trade period (contradiction on the point above)
- you'd be bundling up Luke Brown and a midfielder (CEY, Douglas or Mackay) with our second rounder for Rocky :rolleyes:
- You think that "Brown + Smith + Lyons (2nd round) for Rockliff" is fair
- You also think that "Smith and Brown to gain Rockliff, and retain two picks inside the top 20 of the draft" is possible and the answer
- You listed players as: Tasty - B Smith, L Brown, R Knight, R Atkins, J Lyons (Jenkins but wont happen) / OKish - Douglas, Mackay, Henderson / Meh - CEY, Grigg ... and yet use some "meh" as somehow being trade-bait of value in your bundle above
- You also describe Smith as having never stood up in a big game / never going to be core midfield. Brown is a good vanilla back pocket ... and yet list them as "tasty" and having great worth on the trade market
- I also notice that your mind has been "blown" on several occasions - which explains a lot.

Is that mis-representative? Pig-headed?

You are kidding yourself.

Either cough up the first round draft picks or trade the big names - or stay where we are as a club. Every team has "natural progression" built into their squad, to take the next step we need to break the pattern. If we want Richmond's best player / Brisbane's Captain / Anyone of note ... then why would anyone think that players like Brown and Smith are going to get us anywhere near it? If you want to do it with player trades then Sloane is the equivalent of Dusty, Tex is closer to Rockliff.

The Tigers will receive two NAB AFL Draft selections in return for the 24-year-old; a compensation pick at the end of the first round and a third-round pick, which currently sits at No.50.

The Crows relinquished its compensation for defender Nathan Bock's defection to Gold Coast, with that pick able to be used in any of the next five drafts.

I'm going to the gym, I suddenly feel the need to let off some anger and frustration.

Please tell me I'm reading that wrong or I take back every single nice thing I have said about our recruiters.

It ended up being Pick 20, used in 2013 for Jack Leslie after it was traded to Gold Coast

My feeling is that Gibbs, career wise, is about to catch the next easy wave to the beach.

What are you basing that on?

He's a bloody good player and we should be going hard for him if there's even a chance he would come back to Adelaide.

I'm sick of playing safe - lets go balls to the wall for a flag.

Get Rockliff and Wells too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I just remembered what trade season is like with Carlton suporters.....KMN.
Our first rounder plus one of of either Grigg, CEY, Douglas or Lyons should be enough to get it done. Remember he is interested in coming home for family reasons meaning wife wants to come home to be closer to parents and support...upper hand to Crows.

He's also contracted till 2019, all reports indicate he's happy to stay in any event, and there are two clubs in SA we would be talking to.

Turned 27 this year, 200 gamer, BnF winner, numerous top 5 finishes in same, averages 27 (quality) disposals per game. He's A grade talent (not Elite though; I reserve that for the likes of Judd, Hodge, Danger, GAJ etc).

If you guys think you're in a premiership window over the next 5 years, then adding him to your side is a no-brainer.

Personally, and I know I'll get howled down for this, but I would have though a pick around the 10 mark would be ball park, so we would at least have a 50/50 chance of getting someone as good (but younger).

I'd cough up pick 10 for him if I was in your clubs position in a heartbeat. Maybe thats just me.

He's also contracted till 2019, all reports indicate he's happy to stay in any event, and there are two clubs in SA we would be talking to.

Turned 27 this year, 200 gamer, BnF winner, numerous top 5 finishes in same, averages 27 (quality) disposals per game. He's A grade talent (not Elite though; I reserve that for the likes of Judd, Hodge, Danger, GAJ etc).

If you guys think you're in a premiership window over the next 5 years, then adding him to your side is a no-brainer.

Personally, and I know I'll get howled down for this, but I would have though a pick around the 10 mark would be ball park, so we would at least have a 50/50 chance of getting someone as good (but younger).

I'd cough up pick 10 for him if I was in your clubs position in a heartbeat. Maybe thats just me.

Whilst I recognise your valuation, the problem is we crows fans use the danger trade as a reference point.....despite the fact that two trades would be executed under different conditions.... Whilst Gibbs remains happy to stay a blue, you hold all the power.

Whilst I recognise your valuation, the problem is we crows fans use the danger trade as a reference point.....despite the fact that two trades would be executed under different conditions.... Whilst Gibbs remains happy to stay a blue, you hold all the power.

And he's happy to stay.

I think the relative positions of the clubs need to be taken into account. We're looking to rebuild the list ('reset' the list as its being called) with 23 year old and under players. You blokes are in the middle of a premiership window and looking for that extra level of oomph to get you to the big dance while everyone else is up and firing.

Its possible that a mutually beneficial trade could be worked out.

People are seriously underrating Gibbs here. Hes absolutley A grade, and would improve your midfield immensely. The big knock with him is that he never became Elite (reminds me a bit of Deledio in this respect), but its a pretty harsh criticism.

All reports are that he's happy to stay, and we're happy to keep him (he's contracted in any event). If you guys reckon that a first round kid will improve your chances of a flag over the next 5 years then cool. I dont know what your list strategy is, but from an outsider it seems like the powers that be reckon youre a chance for a flag in the next few years, and the midfield is the main area of concern. I would have thought adding an experienced A grade midfielder would be a priority, and one worthy of a good offer to make it so.

Draft picks are pretty hit and miss; to be honest you'd be doing well to find a better player (or a player as good) as Gibbs with a mid to late 1st rounder. You dont rack up consistent top 5 BnF finishes, win one, or rack up decent Brownlow polling by being s**t.

If we give a first rounder for Gibbs Carlton will be laughing all the way to the bank.

He is decent, he is not a star.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong.

What do you expect to get from a mid-teens pick? Are you expecting a guaranteed star? Someone who'll deliver immediately or in four years?

Gibbs would be exactly what we need and that's a fair price to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back