List Mgmt. 2016 Free Agency/Trades/Draft thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's try this another way just to test if you are dead set against trading our first round picks, or if the issue is trading them for Rockliff/Gibbs.

If Bontempelli wanted to come to Adelaide but it would cost us this year and next year firsts and Lyons second rounder, would you pull the trigger?

Bontempell yes I would do that trade.

Coniglio would be worth a first pick trade as well but not what's currently on the table

Ok, I understand. No issues if it's just differing opinions on players talents. I thought you had a no trading of firsts policy which doesn't always make sense, but clearly not.

The crows have been there and done that - thrown a first pick at the wrong type of player. Year after year and it's never worked.

Now some what to do the same thing, again and it won't work with Rockcliff.

I would use a first round pick for Danials, Conigio, Sheilds - an A grade mid between 20 and 22. Someone who has the potential to give us 10 to 12 (200 games)

Where as Rockcliff and Gibbs are 60 to 120 games at best

Nah look I'm stingier than most but Rocky is probably worth a first rounder.

It's Gibbs who isn't.

The crows have been there and done that - thrown a first pick at the wrong type of player. Year after year and it's never worked.

Now some what to do the same thing, again and it won't work with Rockcliff.

I would use a first round pick for Danials, Conigio, Sheilds - an A grade mid between 20 and 22. Someone who has the potential to give us 10 to 12 (200 games)

Where as Rockcliff and Gibbs are 60 to 120 games at best
Shame they're not realistic targets

You have to grab any chance of gaining a great player that you get, as long as the price isn't completely unrealistic

I think we need an experienced midfielder or even better 2 of them. If you go back and watch the Sydney game they used their big bodies to dominate the game, and then their spread is really good, it's like they have an extra mid on the field.

For us to move further up the ladder from the last two years we need to add experience and hardness to our midfield group, especially with our list age profile. To use the Walker, Talia, Betts etc window we need to take the Hawthorn list management strategy and throw everything we have at a playing for a premiership and trading for proven results and mature bodies.

What experienced midfielder would you try to recruit for us that is available?

That's all well and good but I cannot see how Tom Rockcliff changes this.

Agree but come back with an alternative name

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those calling Rockliff a campaigner have obviously not watched him closely in particular his 2011, 2013 and 2014 seasons which were absolutely ELITE

Make no bones about it if Rockliff leaves the Lions and finds himself at a club well coached with a good football program he will establish himself on the competition once again as a genuine A grade midfielder

Just read this threat. I've lost count at home many times I need to say I don't rate Tom Rockliff, yet I'm still inundated with posts asking why I refuse to trade for him. Am I scared was my best response.

I don't rate him. I think he's just an accumulator, not a positive distributior of the ball.

He's not worth a first round pick
Love how that post of mine was deleted by the Mods (Mates) .....yet that poster can swear at another poster and the post remains .......let the Mods consistency continue to reign on this board and not be influenced by relationships

Nah look I'm stingier than most but Rocky is probably worth a first rounder.

It's Gibbs who isn't.
Yeah, I'm probably a bit higher on value than you but struggle to go beyond our 2017 first and steak knives for Gibbs (ie Grigg - not CEY).

For Rockliff I'd go up to pick 13 and 28 (ie Lyons) but would start with 13 and CEY.

You know, I get the distinct impression that Sam Malone doesn't rate Rockliff.
Yeah, I think we've established that. That's fine and there's a chance Rockliff would flounder at AFC but I personally put a low probability on that. In my view he has the ability to be a top 15 to 20 mid in the comp. a very good foil for Sloane. Still leaves us one short in the midfield and Gibbs would do nicely.

It's funny though, if we can't get both then part of me says go neither. I certainly wouldn't want to just get Gibbs. I could probably live with just getting Rockliff.

Those calling Rockliff a campaigner have obviously not watched him closely in particular his 2011, 2013 and 2014 seasons which were absolutely ELITE
k
Make no bones about it if Rockliff leaves the Lions and finds himself at a club well coached with a good football program he will establish himself on the competition once again as a genuine A grade midfielder
However SLR .....Rockliff is a massive accumulator, great tackler .......but he has zero hurt factor .....is a very close replica to a young Thommo, now if that's the type of player to spend big $$ and trade picks / players on then that's peoples opinion ......i remain unconvinced, and apparently so does the rest of the footy world

As a benchmark, Dusty Martin has a high hurt factor .....plays direct, hard and kicks long and direct in a Ricciuto style .....unfortunately not realistically available & the Crows administration previously were quick to knock any speculation re the Crows &Martin on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back